Rank I

Contributor II

Nor Cal
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Greg
New here,
I always wanted a M416 but never found one to my likings. Got my hands on an old trailer with a damaged axle and a plate. I cut down the frame to 40" wide and 60" long adding about 3 feet for the hitch. From E trailer I found spindles and hubs that fit a set 2020 Gladiator rims. Also, some new leaf hangers to mount the springs correctly. The aluminum side panels are from a M1078 cargo truck that are cut down to fit the frame, the tail gate is from the same material. I welded up a tent support that the side panels bolt to, and itself is bolted to the frame. Scrap aluminum floor plate for the steps and a new tent to finish it off.
I might try adding a fold down cook stove and a spare tire holder in the future. Maybe some other stuff like traction plates and fuel cans might find a home here. Its light enough that my 4 cyl ranger can pull it with a little down shifting. Just hoping to have some fun.

Attachments

Last edited:

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

New here,
I always wanted a M416 but never found one to my likings. Got my hands on an old trailer with a damaged axle and a plate. I cut down the frame to 40" wide and 60" long adding about 3 feet for the hitch. From E trailer I found spindles and hubs that fit a set 2020 Gladiator rims. Also, some new leaf hangers to mount the springs correctly. The aluminum side panels are from a M1078 cargo truck that are cut down to fit the frame, the tail gate is from the same material. I welded up a tent support that the side panels bolt to, and itself is bolted to the frame. Scrap aluminum floor plate for the steps and a new tent to finish it off.
I might try adding a fold down cook stove and a spare tire holder in the future. Maybe some other stuff like traction plates and fuel cans might find a home here. Its light enough that my 4 cyl ranger can pull it with a little down shifting. Just hoping to have some fun.

How does it pull down the road? I am experiencing some weight distribution issues with my M416 that I have been modifying.

Paul E

Rank I

Contributor II

Nor Cal
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Greg
Pulls great now! I like that the axle is farther back than the original, it adds reasonable tongue weight and wont flip over if you roll to the rear in the tent. The frame originally had the shackles in the front causing a death wobble with any weight in it on the highway. I replaced the shackles and hangers in the proper configuration, and it fixed it. Shocks were a big help too. If I was to criticize, it's just really short and likes to jackknife when reversing unless you go slow. But that's small price for a really mobile set up.

Reactions: Swhirstein

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

Pulls great now! I like that the axle is farther back than the original, it adds reasonable tongue weight and wont flip over if you roll to the rear in the tent. The frame originally had the shackles in the front causing a death wobble with any weight in it on the highway. I replaced the shackles and hangers in the proper configuration, and it fixed it. Shocks were a big help too. If I was to criticize, it's just really short and likes to jackknife when reversing unless you go slow. But that's small price for a really mobile set up.
I need to work on my weight distribution over the winter. I think it's going to include extending the tongue, I will have to check my shackles & hanger configuration also. Adding a Jeep rear bumper with swing arm and spare didn't help my trailer any! lol Thanks for the info