Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
For the first month or so I simply had the 150 watt solar panel bolted upon the racks. I had been scouring the local RV stores and the internet for a panel mount that would deploy to a 45 degree angle then fold flat for travel. I think I remember finding only one. It was a full frame version, very heavy and would have lifted the panel several inches from the rack base while in the flat position. It operated much like a the back of a patio lounge chair. It also cost several hundred dollars. I needed to build something light that would easily deploy and retract. My wife suggested gas struts and the video explains the rest.

Reactions: Road and Grevlin

reidbailey

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Charlotte
Member #

Clicking on the link it says YouTube video not found. I’d like to see what you came up with. Any pictures?

Edit: Nevermind. It was a Tapatalk issue. Works fine in a web browser.

Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I plan on doing something very similar for my setup, only I want to be able to leave it up when driving and have it act as a faring in front of the ~14" high pelicans and jerry cans on my rack.

Great stuff.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I plan on doing something very similar for my setup, only I want to be able to leave it up when driving and have it act as a faring in front of the ~14" high pelicans and jerry cans on my rack.

Great stuff.
I thought about doing that but my concern for the errant stone chip at highway speeds convinced me to let our gear bags take the hits.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Very cool solution. How do you like it now that you've had a chance to get it out on the trail?
Excellent, 8400 mile round trip including White Rim Trail, Elephant Hill, including Bobbys Hole, Beef Basin routes to the south, Grand Staircase, Mohave Desert, then up north to PNW then home, I'd say it held up really really well.. not one single loose nut, bolt or strut..

Reactions: Eric Haltom

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

Excellent, 8400 mile round trip including White Rim Trail, Elephant Hill, including Bobbys Hole, Beef Basin routes to the south, Grand Staircase, Mohave Desert, then up north to PNW then home, I'd say it held up really really well.. not one single loose nut, bolt or strut..
That's really awesome. I might have to do something similar... eventually.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I thought about doing that but my concern for the errant stone chip at highway speeds convinced me to let our gear bags take the hits.
That is certainly a risk. I am looking at a Renogy 100 watt, says Withstand high wind (2400Pa) and snow loads (5400Pa);.. but i dont know what that means for chip resistance. Maybe a 3m film would work (But it would have to let all the UV through... )

My roof rack is high enough that I wasn't thinking about stone damage honestly.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That is certainly a risk. I am looking at a Renogy 100 watt, says Withstand high wind (2400Pa) and snow loads (5400Pa);.. but i dont know what that means for chip resistance. Maybe a 3m film would work (But it would have to let all the UV through... )

My roof rack is high enough that I wasn't thinking about stone damage honestly.
I wouldn't give it a thought either except I did drive an 18 wheeler as a career and used to get stone chips up high on the windshield all the time.. a new windshield was an annual event.