Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Arizona
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Sauber
Member #

I'm just considering ideas and brainstorming for future projects. I've been considering buying a small utility trailer about 4'x6' with small side walls over the wheels. Welding a flat extension rack to mount a tent topper to, which would leave me all cargo for the trailer with tent topper. Also playing with the idea of 30 to 50 gallon water storage and a solar panel with deep cell battery as well. The full set up would, ideally, weigh between 1,000 to 1,300 lbs loaded and equipped.

Has anyone done anything like this? All pictures and Input are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

JoeTCreep

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northridge CA
Member #

20170827_121945.jpg 20170827_122002.jpg Trailerday.jpg Nighttrailer.jpg I did a very similar thing. I took an old utility trailer that was already built on an old pickup chassis and went to work. The pickup axle and springs were ditched in favor of a trailer axle with proper springs and geometry corrected. I used 1 1\4" Schedule 40 aluminum pipe and speedrail (Hollaender) fittings to fab a basic cage around three sides of the perimeter of the trailer that I mounted two side shade awnings that kinda extend out like wings and also a small front facing led light bar and two rear led pods for lighting. My next step there is to get a hard shell roof tent and extend the pipe so that my sleeping area is directly above the storage bed. I then wired in two deep cycle batteries in parallel and installed a voltage monitor. Added a smart charger/maintainer that is mounted to the trailer and ran the port to an external Hubbell so I could plug the trailer in at home or run off a generator. I also wired in a plug that I could connect a smart solar charging panel with built in logic to properly charge and maintain batteries. I put a convertor in the electronics box that I can switch on and off as needed and ran the outlets to an exterior shielded socket so I could plug whatever I wanted into it. I then installed a cb radio with an external speaker and a firestik antenna and I keep two hand held radios so there's a base station and a couple portables that people can grab and go on a hike but still have communication. I wired led lighting into each storage bin on a master switch. I added a 30 gallon water tank under the trailer and plumbed the fill to the spot where the utility bed fuel fill neck would have been. I then added an electric pump on the side of the trailer frame with a foot actuation pedal that can be plugged in at camp then coiled up and out away for travel. I run the water outlet line through a small folding table with a sink in it. I also made sure the drain for the water tank was accessible should I need access to the water if for some reason I don't have power. I added a small charging strip inside the electronics box with two usb and two cigarette style chargers. Also on a switch to prevent any possibility of an unwanted draw on the batteries. Each electrical circuit is wired and fused independently so should one system fail it would not affect any others and it also facilitates easy trail side repairs. I installed two leveling jacks on the rear so that when extended you can disconnect the vehicle and have a stable platform climb on for access or whatever. I built a wooden sealed box that I mounted on front of the bed on top of the frame rails that I store my cords, water feed tube, patching kit, stove and tool kit in. On top of that I welded up a six bay 5 gallon can holder that I use for gas, diesel, water or tool storage based on my needs. My compartments as divided up into a kitchen, electronics compartment, straps rope and medical, pantry, camping fun and bulb items area. Added d rings and carabineers on all four corners to hang gear/bags from. So far I am very happy with its design and performance. Currently adding a pintle hitch ring for better articulation when towing on trails. Its not super heavy duty, but it fits my needs and wants perfectly.

OverlandGF8

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Arizona
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Sauber
Member #

View attachment 33011 View attachment 33012 View attachment 33013 View attachment 33014 I did a very similar thing. I took an old utility trailer that was already built on an old pickup chassis and went to work. The pickup axle and springs were ditched in favor of a trailer axle with proper springs and geometry corrected. I used 1 1\4" Schedule 40 aluminum pipe and speedrail (Hollaender) fittings to fab a basic cage around three sides of the perimeter of the trailer that I mounted two side shade awnings that kinda extend out like wings and also a small front facing led light bar and two rear led pods for lighting. My next step there is to get a hard shell roof tent and extend the pipe so that my sleeping area is directly above the storage bed. I then wired in two deep cycle batteries in parallel and installed a voltage monitor. Added a smart charger/maintainer that is mounted to the trailer and ran the port to an external Hubbell so I could plug the trailer in at home or run off a generator. I also wired in a plug that I could connect a smart solar charging panel with built in logic to properly charge and maintain batteries. I put a convertor in the electronics box that I can switch on and off as needed and ran the outlets to an exterior shielded socket so I could plug whatever I wanted into it. I then installed a cb radio with an external speaker and a firestik antenna and I keep two hand held radios so there's a base station and a couple portables that people can grab and go on a hike but still have communication. I wired led lighting into each storage bin on a master switch. I added a 30 gallon water tank under the trailer and plumbed the fill to the spot where the utility bed fuel fill neck would have been. I then added an electric pump on the side of the trailer frame with a foot actuation pedal that can be plugged in at camp then coiled up and out away for travel. I run the water outlet line through a small folding table with a sink in it. I also made sure the drain for the water tank was accessible should I need access to the water if for some reason I don't have power. I added a small charging strip inside the electronics box with two usb and two cigarette style chargers. Also on a switch to prevent any possibility of an unwanted draw on the batteries. Each electrical circuit is wired and fused independently so should one system fail it would not affect any others and it also facilitates easy trail side repairs. I installed two leveling jacks on the rear so that when extended you can disconnect the vehicle and have a stable platform climb on for access or whatever. I built a wooden sealed box that I mounted on front of the bed on top of the frame rails that I store my cords, water feed tube, patching kit, stove and tool kit in. On top of that I welded up a six bay 5 gallon can holder that I use for gas, diesel, water or tool storage based on my needs. My compartments as divided up into a kitchen, electronics compartment, straps rope and medical, pantry, camping fun and bulb items area. Added d rings and carabineers on all four corners to hang gear/bags from. So far I am very happy with its design and performance. Currently adding a pintle hitch ring for better articulation when towing on trails. Its not super heavy duty, but it fits my needs and wants perfectly.
This is truly a work of art. Your detail in description is amazing. Thank you. Extremely helpful

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Road

Contributor I

GARY. IN
Member #

This my setup. It is setup for solar and shore power. The rear is like a galley. I have 3 arb awnings, 2 with screened in rooms and just an awning over the galley.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using OB Talk mobile app

GABEHERNANDEZ

Rank I

Traveler II

Nice trailer. Hey I have a question, hows the sleeping situation? Do you sleep in the trailer? Does it just hold gear?
Hey and being an executive chef are your camp meals basic or gourmet? We need meal pics!!! Lol. Thanks for you time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Contributor I

GARY. IN
Member #

Sorry for the late post but wasting my time at the Bears game getting crushed by the Browns. We have a queen memory foam mattress in side with double entry doors to get into on both sides. I have a headwall 18 inches from the back for the galley kitchen. Most of the camping gear goes in boxes in my Ram truck bed. Storage in the sleeping area is i have 6 cubes on the front wall and 8 cubes on the headwall with baskets in them

Edward Gentle

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Huntsville Al
Member #

I like the idea of a trailer. Been thinking about it a lot and snooping around the internet seeing what's out there (basic trailer to build). I just have concerns about the ground clearance because around here you need it.

GABEHERNANDEZ

Rank I

Traveler II

Sorry for the late post but wasting my time at the Bears game getting crushed by the Browns. We have a queen memory foam mattress in side with double entry doors to get into on both sides. I have a headwall 18 inches from the back for the galley kitchen. Most of the camping gear goes in boxes in my Ram truck bed. Storage in the sleeping area is i have 6 cubes on the front wall and 8 cubes on the headwall with baskets in them

I like the idea of converting a trailer like you did. I've thought about it and checked out YouTube videos. But I'm still om the fence. I dont know if I want to go that route or a teardrop build. I guess it's really up to the wife. Lol. Thanks for responding. Happy trails

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app