Ontario, Canada
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Levesque
Ham/GMRS Callsign
*Working On It*
Hello everyone,

I'm new to overlanding and I got a taste for it becuase of an accidental left turn.

I was on my way to my inlaws, took a wrong turn, Google maps told me to take the next left. It was a road with houses until it wasn't. It instantly turned into sink holes, then to dirt, to a steep incline, with little to no path width.

I came through it thankful for the stock clearance under the car and no damage. I loved throwing my diff lock on, and climbing up and out on to the main road. I would love to do it again, with preparation.

I'm looking for mods and suggestions for this KIA.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@TheReppingRev Basically, it comes down to the same things for any car - granted, some are easier to find parts for than others, and some lend themselves better to specific uses.

Does your vehicle have a unibody construction, or body on frame? How is the suspension set up? These and many other factors contribute to the available (and depending on your intended usage, necessary) modifications for your vehicle.

Nevertheless, basics for anything off pavement should include, but not be limited to, a vehicle-mounted recovery point (most come with a tow hook on front or rear, one on each end is nice), a tow strap and D-ring shackles or other safe way to connect it to the recovery point, a shovel, jumper cables, and a first-aid kit (hand sanitizer and a box of Band-Aids is usually good enough, but a proper kit is cheap). A full-size, matching spare tire and wheel and a portable air compressor should be common sense.

Figure out what kinds of terrain are near your location (sand, mud, rocks, gravel, snow, each is a different game), select a good all-terrain tire to tackle it, and go have a ball! Once you reach the limit of what you want to put your vehicle through, that's when to concern yourself with vehicle modifications.

The best equipment is knowledge and experience.

Reactions: TheReppingRev

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone,

I'm new to overlanding and I got a taste for it becuase of an accidental left turn.

I was on my way to my inlaws, took a wrong turn, Google maps told me to take the next left. It was a road with houses until it wasn't. It instantly turned into sink holes, then to dirt, to a steep incline, with little to no path width.

I came through it thankful for the stock clearance under the car and no damage. I loved throwing my diff lock on, and climbing up and out on to the main road. I would love to do it again, with preparation.

Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
North America
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Local information for any of our regions can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check out the four Overland Expo events https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the overland bound commnity. Glad to have you join us.