Rank 0

Contributor II

Idaho, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Stog
Hey yall,
Looking to get into the hobby, my wife and I have 3 small kids. My current rig is a 2004 suburban z71 with 33” nitto grapplers, big enough to haul the kids and do some dispersed camping and light to moderate offroading. The only thing is I don’t know anyone else to go with on adventures. Not sure going alone is practical as a beginner. What do yall suggest? This is something I expect to be a lifelong hobby and I’m excited about it. Nothing better than nature & exploring, and being able to share that with the kids… that’s my mission. I’m not sure how to start though.

Attachments

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey yall,
Looking to get into the hobby, my wife and I have 3 small kids. My current rig is a 2004 suburban z71 with 33” nitto grapplers, big enough to haul the kids and do some dispersed camping and light to moderate offroading. The only thing is I don’t know anyone else to go with on adventures. Not sure going alone is practical as a beginner. What do yall suggest? This is something I expect to be a lifelong hobby and I’m excited about it. Nothing better than nature & exploring, and being able to share that with the kids… that’s my mission. I’m not sure how to start though.
Hello Joe, welcome to Overland Bound. Great looking pooch, what is his/her name?
The question of going it alone is multifaceted, dependability of the rig, your ability to repair issues, if you do try it alone be sure where you go has cell signal or be sure to carry a satellite phone for communication and the ability to send out a SOS. I always carry, especially when going solo. Research well so as to be sure you have all necessary supplies since you would not have others to make up for a missing item.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
IdahoJoe!

Rig looks great and getting kids out early is an amazing way for family time and making lastling memories as you know. Where in Idaho are you? I lead the North Idaho/Eastern WA meet up and we do a trip a month with meet ups in the winter as well. This link will take you to our discussion thread, and POST #2 on that thread always has the current month’s info. The yearly calendar is there as well. This is just the minimum and sometimes members will throw on last minute trips as well. No attitudes, just good people having a great time.

Info and Calendar

Saturday July 13th we have a member welcome event 9-11am in Post Falls ID

July 19-21st Glacier Trip

IMG_0093.jpegdji_fly_20240316_112924_235_1710613953951_photo.jpeg

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Hello Joe, and welcome!

We're in Idaho too. There's a nice bunch of OB members local to the Boise area, I met up with several of them once. Maybe you find a trail partner there. We mostly go off by ourselves, and it ain't that hard.

Make sure your vehicle is sound. You don't want to break down because you neglected maintenance. Have some spares and tools for unforeseen issues. And as Rich said, have a means of commo if you need it. We have a lot of dead cell phone areas.

Make a couple easy trips to shake down your set up, and figure out what you need, don't need, or would be nice to have. Make a list, then start checking things off.

The Owyhee backcountry route is a nice day trip, and it's all easy stuff (you can do it in a car). It gets you near to other cool side trips too. Succor Creek/Leslie Gulch is nice country, with lots of side tracks you can take.

One of my first gear suggestions is maps/Gaia GPS/etc. You can figure out places you want to go and find your way in (and out) that way.

Carry more food and water than you think you need. Don't go crazy, but allow for an extra day or two.

Recovery gear...the Forest Service wants you to carry an axe, a shovel, and a bucket. A shovel is really handy for recovery. Get a good jack (Hi-Lift, heavy scissor jack, etc. Not the little stock tire changing jack). Think about carrying a strap and/or kinetic rope. You can build from there as you see fit.

Cold storage and ability to heat food. This can be as easy as a cooler and a Coleman stove, or a nice 12v fridge and a kitchen box. Just don't count on cooking over a camp fire, we get fire restrictions.

Think about first aid/emergency medical. Carry what you know how to use. For whatever reason, we frequently come across people hurt or in trouble.

This is Idaho. never go without a coat. I buried my old Jeep in the snow in July one year, trying to get to Trinity.

Most importantly, go. Get out there, even if it's just a day trip or a couple nights on FS or BLM roads. Have fun and build experience.

Reactions: freak4life

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey yall,
Welcome To Overland Bound
Could you edit your profile to include a city or town, that was the app and members can get you local information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. NorthWest (AK WA ID OR)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Local information for any of our regions can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check out the four Overland Expo events https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly!
https://tread-lightly.teachable.com/p/tread-lightly-youth-online-course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com