Chesapeake, VA, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Civilian
We are the Hill family from Chesapeake, VA. We love getting out to explore our great Commonwealth; whether that be State Parks, or primitive camping. Hoping to connect with some of y’all for some adventure!

Here is a picture of the latest upgrade I’ve done to our 2011 JK, a 50w GMRS radio, and a bullbar antenna

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We are the Hill family from Chesapeake, VA. We love getting out to explore our great Commonwealth; whether that be State Parks, or primitive camping. Hoping to connect with some of y’all for some adventure!

Here is a picture of the latest upgrade I’ve done to our 2011 JK, a 50w GMRS radio, and a bullbar antenna
Seth, Welcome to Overland Bound from Washington State! Nice looking JK, and that's one beefy antenna!

Reactions: HillExpeditions

HillExpeditions

Rank V

World Traveler III

Chesapeake, VA, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Civilian

Seth, Welcome to Overland Bound from Washington State! Nice looking JK, and that's one beefy antenna!
I have been watching way too much 4WD24/7 on YouTube and may have been influenced by the Aussies a bit

• Haha
Reactions: OTH Overland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome To Overland Bound Hill family
That antenna is the way to go for GMRS
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. East (VA WV MD DE NJ PA NY CT RI MA NH VT ME)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About EAST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

Hello Seth, welcome to Overland Bound.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

Welcome!
I'm looking to upgrade my GMRS antenna and I'm curious which one you are using. Is it the Retevis, Melowave Overlander, or one of the new Midlands?

HillExpeditions

Rank V

World Traveler III

Chesapeake, VA, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Civilian
It’s 3dB Highland from Midland
How do you like it? Did you go with 3db because of being in more forested/obstructed terrain or because of the length?
East Coast wheeling/overlanding; much denser foliage. Haven’t gotten to use it off-road much, but my wife was able to pick up my transmissions from about 5 miles (as the crow flies; she was also inside our house with a handheld unit) I was stoked on that.

Last edited:

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

Totally. I love the look! I was looking to get something similar and I'm having a hard time deciding on what to get. I'm in the Michigan forests and figure that 3db is probably what I should do too. I was looking at the Melowave, Retevis, and Wouxun offerings and wondering if the Midlands were actually better or just give confidence for the additional price. Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't talk to many with actual use.

HillExpeditions

Rank V

World Traveler III

Chesapeake, VA, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Service Branch
Civilian
Totally. I love the look! I was looking to get something similar and I'm having a hard time deciding on what to get. I'm in the Michigan forests and figure that 3db is probably what I should do too. I was looking at the Melowave, Retevis, and Wouxun offerings and wondering if the Midlands were actually better or just give confidence for the additional price. Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't talk to many with actual use.
Wish we could get out more & put her to use but silly old work!