Help Plan My Trip West

• HTML tutorial

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

EDITED 4/30/17 (Mainly second part of trip)

Hello all,

Let me start this off by getting a few things out there.
- This will be me, and my wife's first trip out west.
- Unfortunately, with real life in the way, there is a time crunch.
- There are also four days that are going to be booked with family.
- We are going to see some of the wife's family in California for a few days, and Im using it as an excuse to see parts of the country I have never seen before, and have dreamed of.
- I know, that parts may be rushed, I cut out ALOT from what I originally thought we could do and see, quickly realizing that wasnt the case. haha
- If it matters, well be in my 11' 4Runner SR5, no locker, but lifted on 33's and by then will be mildly built up, with skids, sliders,but nothing crazy. So not looking for extreme trails by any means, But im also not scared of a little action.

And probably alot of other things. This will be our first big overlanding trip, be it nothing major, and not being "off the grid" for long periods of time, the truck will be equipped enough to handle a good solid two days out on our own. Just looking for great trails with amazing views, and fantastic places to camp and throw back a few beers along the way.

Here is the rough outline of the trip I came up with.

Friday May 26th- Leave central Illinois after work, drive 6 hours to Omaha, Nebraska for a head start to the trip.

Saturday May 27th- Drive day, getting to, or as close to Moab as possible.

Sunday May 28th- Moab
Monday May 29th- Moab
Tuesday May 30th- Moab
Wednesday May 31st- Moab

Thursday June 1st- Leave Moab early morning, to head to Corona, CA. Stopping through Vegas, Hoover Dam, anything along the way. Getting to Corona late night.

Friday June 2nd- Corona, California This is family day 1, have to be here through... Monday June 5th.

Tuesday June 6th- Leave family very early, get to and start Mojave Trail, west to east.

Wednesday June 7th- Mojave Trail

Thursday June 8th- Mojave back to Moab, find someone easy to get to that night around Moab to camp.

Friday June 9th- One last day in Moab to explore and camp.

Saturday June 10th- Leave Moab and start the long drive home.

Sunday June 11th- Driving home to Illinois

Whats everyone think? Lots of driving and packing things together, but when you only have two weeks, and 4 of those days are stuck with family plans....really limits you.

Last edited:

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

Oh wow. Didn't notice how screwed I wrote those dates. Hahaha. Whoops. I'll change those up.

I thought about going north because of the time of year. That would make it a bit further, and take away from some relax time. But maybe that would be worth it...

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

Alright, dates should be right now.
So, end of May, too hot for that route?

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Alright, dates should be right now.
So, end of May, too hot for that route?
Death valley will be hot. Low 100s easily, but no humidity.
Just bring water, and make sure someone knows where you will be and set certain times to make contact and windows to make said contact that way if god forbid something happens atleast people will know to look for you.
Ive wheeled in death valley/mojave my whole life there is so many bad ass trails out there its crazy. Ranging from mild to wild.

Reactions: Zaq

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

Any other input. Im open to all ideas.
Probably best to opt out of the death valley area at that time. Just threw that in because it was along the way to our destination in California.

Reactions: N4lo

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

It will be to hot for Death Valley by May. I would drive through the valley to Lone Pine and spend the time in Kings Canyon/Sequoia. Don't underestimate the distances between places out west. It's a solid 9 hours of driving from Moab to Vegas is a solid 9 hours of hard driving. It's easy to think things won't take to long and end up spending to much of your time driving and not much exploring.

Trowbocop

Rank III

Advocate II

Idea for Thursday June 1st. There is a place southeast of DV, in between Vegas and Corona. Called Tecopa Natural Hot Springs, there is is wild hot spring just off Tecopa Hot Springs Road, and it's just north of Death Valey Brewing Co. Great IPAs and a refreshing cucumber beer. If you're looking for a free boondocking campground right in the area, you're in luck - if you want to stay. Take Furnace Creek Road to the palm tree, where you'll find a small hot spring and a fire ring or two. Beautiful area.

Reactions: MBroenkow and Zaq

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

Idea for Thursday June 1st. There is a place southeast of DV, in between Vegas and Corona. Called Tecopa Natural Hot Springs, there is is wild hot spring just off Tecopa Hot Springs Road, and it's just north of Death Valey Brewing Co. Great IPAs and a refreshing cucumber beer. If you're looking for a free boondocking campground right in the area, you're in luck - if you want to stay. Take Furnace Creek Road to the palm tree, where you'll find a small hot spring and a fire ring or two. Beautiful area.
Now that's the type of information I like! That's great! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G928V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Trowbocop

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

Here's maybe a dumb question, and I've seen answers before, but figured Id try to get some from everyone on here.
I've never been out west (I have, went to Colorado when I was bout 12 with my parents, no overlanding or anything though) and have never done a trip like I am planning.
How do I know where, and what trails and areas Im allowed to stop an pop up the RTT over night?
Our plan is to camp the entire trip,maybe steal a bed for a night at her families in Cali, but, I want to just do nice trails, with great camping spots the entire way. I want to finally, truly see the stars!

Also, any recommendations on what books/ maps to buy of these areas?

Last edited:

Trowbocop

Rank III

Advocate II

Free campsites.net is a great asset.

Some other places worthwhile to check out:

You can camp for free under Mexican Hat in southeast Utah.

If you're headed near Zion at all- we camped at a waterfall called Toquerville Falls- would definitely go again.

Reactions: MBroenkow and Zaq

Trowbocop

Rank III

Advocate II

Also- you can get maps of BLM land- camp anywhere there, with certain restrictions, such as certain distances from roads...etc.

I've heard good things about Hema Maps, but have no personal experience with it.

Reactions: Zaq

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

In the west, most National Forests allow you to camp anywhere off the forest service roads. This was something that took some getting used to being originally from Chicago and the Midwest where free camping is unheard of. We've grown to love this "off the grid" camping and some of our favorite campgrounds have been these free ones that we find in the middle of nowhere. The problem is that unless you've been to the area before or someone tells you (e.g. what @Trowbocop suggested which, btw, I'm totally going to camp there the next time I'm in the area :tonguewink:) they're difficult to find and/or plan.

If you have the time, some of our favorite areas are CA4, CA89 between US50 and US395, and US395 itself. If you'll be in any of these areas, I can probably provide some more detailed recommendations. Another great source of info on California is Charles Wells' book "Guide to California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". Tons of trails and campsites along those trails. Tony Huegel has a couple books on California too but his are a little older and don't have as much detail. I own multiple books by both authors and have found them to be great.

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

60 Days until we take off. Lots to still do and figure out...but the rig is coming together nicely. Getting very excited.

Me and the wife were talking about the general plan of the trip the other day, and agree we want to keep it open to change anything at anytime. But still want a basic idea, or even a couple plans.
Still Moab area on the way out. (See 1st post for basic outline..just the second part...after the mandatory family time in Cali is all up in the air...>>)
Anyways, originally planned on hitting Colorado on the way home from California, but I got to thinking about it more and may change it, because 1.) Early June I know is still up in the air most of the time if trails will be open by then or not. And 2.) Colorado is a lot closer of a drive to get back to than California.

That being said, thinking of more southern California ideas. My thought was a few day in Death Valley. But, is early June TOO hot? I mean, I know it will be toasty, but is it unbearable that time of year or would we be good?

And again, anyone along the way of Moab end of may, and then probably southern California area....or maybe AZ Grand Canyon area, I dont know, wherever we end up, anyone along the way that wants to pretend to be a tour guide to cool places, cool views, cool beers, let me know.

---Id love to get to Baja, but the wife hasnt updated her passport in the last few years....so thats a no go. :(

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Moab will be pretty busy in May. There will be plenty of groups to fall into for trail runs.

DV will be way to hot to get out of the truck and explore. You could drive through on the main road but I wouldn't do any back country exploring just because a breakdown could be life threatening.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

On May 28th... Skip Grand Junction and stay in Fruita, CO. You can camp for free in the North Fruita Desert off 18rd. There are pay sites there as well if you want a fire pit. Its a great little town with 2 Micro-brewerys (Suds Brothers and Copper Club). Before you leave in the morning stop at Camillas Cafe(sign just says GOOD EATS) on Aspen ST for the best breakfast you could ask for. I would be happy to meet you for a brew since Fruita is my home town, but Im out of town that weekend.

On your way to Moab, Take Exit 214 off I70 and travel down the forgotten section of HWY 128 through the ghost town of Cisco(from films such as Vanishing Point and Thelma and Louise) and continue along the Colorado river into Moab. Have your camera ready... its an unforgettable 45 mile section of road. There are several BLM camp grounds along the river as well. When you need to shower... theres a community center/pool downtown thats like $6/person. Way better than the campground showers and you have a pool and gym. Run Fins N Things while you are there. Its an iconic Moab trail and gives you a little bit of everything. Your rig will have no trouble with it. Chicken Corners, Long Canyon and Shaffer Switchbacks are all trails that will have you burning up batteries in your camera.

The back way from Moab to Vegas is LONG! Either:
A. Hop back on I70 to I15 and just bomb it. Use the extra time to swing through Cedar Breaks in Utah or Valley of Fire in Nevada.
B. Skip the day for Death Valley and take 2 days to go the back way. Go through Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, South Rim of the Grand Canyon and then take I40 across to Cali.

Reactions: Trowbocop and Zaq

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

On May 28th... Skip Grand Junction and stay in Fruita, CO. You can camp for free in the North Fruita Desert off 18rd. There are pay sites there as well if you want a fire pit. Its a great little town with 2 Micro-brewerys (Suds Brothers and Copper Club). Before you leave in the morning stop at Camillas Cafe(sign just says GOOD EATS) on Aspen ST for the best breakfast you could ask for. I would be happy to meet you for a brew since Fruita is my home town, but Im out of town that weekend.

On your way to Moab, Take Exit 214 off I70 and travel down the forgotten section of HWY 128 through the ghost town of Cisco(from films such as Vanishing Point and Thelma and Louise) and continue along the Colorado river into Moab. Have your camera ready... its an unforgettable 45 mile section of road. There are several BLM camp grounds along the river as well. When you need to shower... theres a community center/pool downtown thats like $6/person. Way better than the campground showers and you have a pool and gym. Run Fins N Things while you are there. Its an iconic Moab trail and gives you a little bit of everything. Your rig will have no trouble with it. Chicken Corners, Long Canyon and Shaffer Switchbacks are all trails that will have you burning up batteries in your camera.

The back way from Moab to Vegas is LONG! Either:
A. Hop back on I70 to I15 and just bomb it. Use the extra time to swing through Cedar Breaks in Utah or Valley of Fire in Nevada.
B. Skip the day for Death Valley and take 2 days to go the back way. Go through Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, South Rim of the Grand Canyon and then take I40 across to Cali.
Thanks for all the great info!!

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

Only 26 days till we head west!!!!!
Getting excited would be an understatement.

Anyways, I edited and updated the first post with the dates and locations.
Going to hit the Mojave Trail on our way out of California, since we will already be right there by it.
Then head back and get an extra day and a half in Moab or that area.

So thats the rough plan....hopefully it works out.