Help Identify Trailer

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

El Cajon, CA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Smith
I have been tasked with removing this trailer from the property. I want to be able to identify it if possible. I think this is a Bantam. Other than that, I have no idea. Any thoughts or ideas on where to look would be appreciated. The owner would like to know if this worth keeping on the property as an antigue or worth restoring as well.

Attachments

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

I have been tasked with removing this trailer from the property. I want to be able to identify it if possible. I think this is a Bantam. Other than that, I have no idea. Any thoughts or ideas on where to look would be appreciated. The owner would like to know if this worth keeping on the property as an antigue or worth restoring as well.
Looks like a version of the M416 1/4 ton military trailer pulled by jeeps from WWII to after Viêt Nam.

The tongue stand, tub marks, and general shape are consistent.

If that’s the case - especially if you can find a data plate or other GI markings, it’s definitely worth saving and restoring.

Contributor I

El Cajon, CA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Smith
Looks like a version of the M416 1/4 ton military trailer pulled by jeeps from WWII to after Viêt Nam.

If that’s the case - especially if you can find a data plate or other GI markings, it’s definitely worth saving and restoring.
Much appreciated info!

Reactions: 12C20

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Much appreciated info!
Although, those fenders scream “Bantam” don’t they?

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Much appreciated info!
Although, those fenders scream “Bantam” don’t they?
Aaaand the tail light configuration.

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

The GI T3 did not have the stake pockets yours does, either.

Still, this baby is totally worth restoring.

Epic!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
When I bought mine, it took years to identify it and I can still find diffrent names for it. What that means is, all the experts say something diffrent.
I settled on it being a 42 M-100 (registration says 42 special construction). The design stayed similar forever with only a few differences. If it still had the placard on the front it would be easy.

What I found out, there were a few diffrent manufactures, American and Canadian, civilian and military. Yours is like mine with the round fenders. I believe the square fenders were later or a diffrent builder. I do know at one time square and round fenders were made at the same time.

They came with or without a parking brake. My axle had been changed so that was non existent on mine but I could see where the handle was originally mounted. The tubs were sealed, at least in the early versions. Everyone made tailgates for them. I had read (but never verified) a company made tailgate kits for them. My tailgate is similar to yours but with a double layer of steel.

Your axle looks like the original older design. I base this on the size of the hub. The rear shackle dosent look right. Its missing the grease fittings. But that could mean civilian not military or most likely they were changed. The fold down leg is original but someone converted to a ball hitch.

Your springs are very early jeep

From the early 40's through the 70's these were sold all over. I got mine in the 80's and was the third owner as far as I know.

Personally, I love the design. I swapped in an axle with brakes, put 33's on it, a parking brake, cleaned and replaced what metal was damaged and have dragged it over some pretty nasty trails. Most of its life was spent hauling gear down black diamond trails for AAT maintenance. In the mid/late 90s I rebuilt it and added an RTT to it. Unfortunately it sits on the side yard. I build an enclosed trailer to replace it.

As an off road trailer they rock, just remember the suspension can be 80 years old.

Here's a picture of mine before I swapped the axle and went with bigger tires. I'm thinking this was late 80's ish. I would have owned it for about a year or so.

1696793347471.jpeg

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
One more thing.
As far as I know, the military trailers had a plaque mounted on the driver side front of the tub. In your picture #8 I dont see the holes from it. That could mean civilian. It could also mean no park brake.
I'm also thinking back over 20 years from when I researched mine. My memory may be flawed.

Contributor I

El Cajon, CA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Smith
Heres a picture of just before I retired it.

View attachment 267481
That's amazing information. Thanks! I recently found a support block addition to the end of the trailer hitch where the V comes together. If I recall the support block was added in 50's and on civilian models. I'm curious now because the photo also matched my ball mount. thanks again for the pictures.

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
From what I understood, these trailers were very popular from the late 40's to 60's. Ranch's loved them due to their size. This is why there was quite a few aftermarket parts made for them. One of the pictures I saw was a dump bed kit. another was a rounded cover for the top making it look like a covered wagon.