Hello Overlanders from FirewallPhotography

• HTML tutorial

FirewallPhotography

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

I joined a little while back but have just been enjoying the posts.

I have been offroading for a while.  Until late last year I used an '08 H2 with very few modification.  Now that it has too many desert pinstripes and over 180K I've retired it to driving me back and forth to work.  Fortunately I was able to find a very well maintained 96 H1 wagon for what I considered a g
ood price.  I've done a few add-ons to it already which I will post later.  This is how it looked when I picked it up.

https://www.facebook.com/FirewallPhotography

BTW - I live in Vegas and travel all over the area.  Luckily, over 75% of Nevada is owned by the federal government and except for a few places (area 51) you can drive on it.  So, if you want to drive around wild mustang herds or camp above 7000' without any one giving you permitting headaches, come on out this way.

E

expeditionnorth

Welcome, adore the rig & its photo

wish we had open land like that back East here

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Awesome truck! Great work and pictures.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey Joe! Welcome to the Overland Bound forums. Your rig is epic! My favorite GM offroad vehicle! Maybe you @msoverlandbound and I could talk about a feature article. Need to do that with some other "founders" as well *cough cough* @stringtwelve

Welcome! I look forward to seeing more, and checking out your photography!

M

@firewallphotography

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Yes, a feature article would be awesome for this Hummer!

I'm going to need another 6-12 months before I'm ready to show mine off. The functionality is there; form not so much. I'm meeting with Cruiser Shirts in July to take a look at his rig for ideas and to inspect his "guy's" handy work. Seriously considering handing it off to Wolf Creek Rod Works in Pagosa Springs to just finish it. I'll keep you updated... @administrator

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
16695 said:
Yes, a feature article would be awesome for this Hummer! I’m going to need another 6-12 months before I’m ready to show mine off 

I can tell you the primary outcome of your meeting with ruisershirts = 37s :wink: Need to get him on these forums!

What tire size are you running now?

Looking forward to more @stringtwelve

M

FirewallPhotography

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sure - thanks for the interest - let me know.

It is basically a stock American General '96 with the 6.5 Turbo and some bolt-ons.

Exterior - semi-custom roof rack, ladder, CB Antenna, 2-72" tool boxes, spare tire mount (stocked with shovel, 60" jack, etc.) , 4-5gal gas cans and mounts, 4 more PIAA lights, three 8" LED work lights (one on each side) front and rear cameras - I added the desert pin striping myself - well, I did get the help of a couple junipers and joshuas.

Interior - Rubber duck steering wheel and switch console, Cobra CB, 2- 7" HD Monitors in a custom pod between the visors, Ram iPad Mount for GPS and comms through the DeLorem InReach (thanks for the video on that) and a couple easy to reach holsters.

joe@firewallphotography.com

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Great photo skills, Joe.  Love those wide open spaces you have out in the southwest.

Where I am, something as wide as your rig would have a tougher time through all of the tight trails with trees so close and trails so narrow.  Great looking Hummer.  Love the presence those things have!

FirewallPhotography

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks for the comment.  I have found those tree things to be tricky.  Out here overlanding dangers include sugar sand, arroyo erosion, the pesky tamarisk bush and lack of water.  I was up between the Vegas Range and the Sheep range and found fish fossils above 6000 ft.  And my last overnight the only danger was stepping in the elk, deer, burro and wild horse poop.

I love it all...

FirewallPhotography

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

I tried this once before - I was asked about the interior setup with the Delorme inReach and iPad.  So, here's a shot I took this weekend of the driver's cockpit with the display.  The monitors are in a custom install and the iPad uses a RAM Mount.  Though they do not have a holder for the inReach as yet, I just clip it on the iPad while on road - then in the unusable cupholders while on trail.

Let me know what you think.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I joined a little while back but have just been enjoying the posts.

I have been offroading for a while. Until late last year I used an '08 H2 with very few modification. Now that it has too many desert pinstripes and over 180K I've retired it to driving me back and forth to work. Fortunately I was able to find a very well maintained 96 H1 wagon for what I considered a g
ood price. I've done a few add-ons to it already which I will post later. This is how it looked when I picked it up.

BTW - I live in Vegas and travel all over the area. Luckily, over 75% of Nevada is owned by the federal government and except for a few places (area 51) you can drive on it. So, if you want to drive around wild mustang herds or camp above 7000' without any one giving you permitting headaches, come on out this way.
Well now, here's a sweet looking rig, and the backdrop looks amazing.