Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

Hi all. Glad to be part of this community. Been around camping all my life. Been 4 wheelin most of that too. Been on the road in a 38 ft RV for 13 yrs. Now I've settled down and become a"respectable" home owner again. Glad to get back to simple camping again. Hoping this overlanding and Trout Unlimited will lead us to quieter times. Cheers to all

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

We just purchased a 2019 Toyota Tacoma DCLB. Added a camper shell and will be building out from there. I like the idea of necessity driven mods. Sure I would love to throw a checkbook at it and add tires/wheels, lift, sliders, bumpers. But I've built so many unicorns in my life that I think I'd like to keep this one simple. Put the money in gas and fishing trips til we see what else we need.

Reactions: Chadlyb

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
Welcome! There are quite a few members on here from Idaho. I’m in Boise.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Welcome to Overland Bound, @barnstormers.

But I've built so many unicorns in my life that I think I'd like to keep this one simple.
Keeping it simple is the best way of doing it. The overlanding market is overflowing with products to spend money on... but at the end of the day all you need is something that will get you out of the house and into the adventure.

The great news is that there are a number of great overlanding events occurring throughout the PNW, especially in the southern Idaho area. I recommend checking out the Overland Bound NorthWest Region forum [link] for meetups and to get to know your neighbors. Events are also posted on the Rally Point system [link], so you might want to check that out as well.

I look forward to seeing you out there! If you need anything, feel free to message me on the forums @Jedi.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

We just purchased a 2019 Toyota Tacoma DCLB. Added a camper shell and will be building out from there. I like the idea of necessity driven mods. Sure I would love to throw a checkbook at it and add tires/wheels, lift, sliders, bumpers. But I've built so many unicorns in my life that I think I'd like to keep this one simple. Put the money in gas and fishing trips til we see what else we need.
Hello and welcome to the OB crew....great vehicle for your adventure platform and look forward to seeing your build and your adventures PNW neighbor.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Welcome to the forum from West Texas. May your adventures be plentiful and you lines taught.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Hi all. Glad to be part of this community. Been around camping all my life. Been 4 wheelin most of that too. Been on the road in a 38 ft RV for 13 yrs. Now I've settled down and become a"respectable" home owner again. Glad to get back to simple camping again. Hoping this overlanding and Trout Unlimited will lead us to quieter times. Cheers to all
Hello ... Welcome to the Overland Bound Community ... nice to have you on board!

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I'll be camping Craters of the Moon in June. Is it easy to find a spot to camp there? Crowds? Any 4x4 trails close? Thanks!

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
I am planning to do a loop that follows N Laidlaw Park Rd this summer that is included in Backcountry Roads--Idaho by Lynna Leland Howard. There are a number of 4x4 only spur roads off the main loop that lead to geological features. The main loop is gravel, but the spur roads are described as traversing sharp volcanic rock. I haven't been out this way yet, but am looking forward to doing it.

Camping
Lava Flow Campground has 42 sites are available on a first come-first served basis for $15. Dispersed camping is also permitted in the Craters of the Moon Wilderness and the NPS Preserve and BLM Monument

Attachments

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I am planning to do a loop that follows N Laidlaw Park Rd this summer that is included in Backcountry Roads--Idaho by Lynna Leland Howard. There are a number of 4x4 only spur roads off the main loop that lead to geological features. The main loop is gravel, but the spur roads are described as traversing sharp volcanic rock. I haven't been out this way yet, but am looking forward to doing it.

View attachment 92626

Camping
Lava Flow Campground has 42 sites are available on a first come-first served basis for $15. Dispersed camping is also permitted in the Craters of the Moon Wilderness and the NPS Preserve and BLM Monument
Great info thanks!

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

You should be fine in June. Won't be too hot then. Lots of country to explore. From Craters you can go West to Arco and Mackey up to Mt Borah, Idaho's highest at 12,000+ ft or you can go south through the high sage desert for miles. Or you can go east and north through the Wood river valley and into the Stanley basin and the headwaters of the River of no return, the Salmon. Miles of old mining roads, BLM land for days. You won't lack for adventure. oh and bring your fishing pole. World class native cutties and rainbows

Reactions: OutsideSeth