Cupertino, CA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hobert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6UYI
Hi folks - I joined about a month go and have been hard at work on my first rig. Here are some photos before (late July acquired the vehicle) and yesterday (August 30) after a dry run with it fully loaded (except for wife/kid and food). Looking forward to some adventures in the Central and North Sierra in the coming months!

Did some easy NF roads up near Groveland a couple weeks back and heading up to the Bear Valley area at the crack of dawn Friday Sept 4 for the day to give Corral Hollow and Hermit Valley to Lower Blue Lake a try. Any advise for this novice is appreciated! I have recovery gear, a ham radio/license, and water. :)

As an aside, I got this 2010 at a price I couldn't pass up, but see my longer-term vehicle as a 2012-2018 JKU (Pentastar v6, manual) so I'm being very selective on the investments I'm making into it that can't be moved to another JKU. For example, went with a budget boost and air spring kit (total $300) versus a full lift kit and HD springs. Will let you know how this works on the Sept 4 trip. Handled well yesterday on the twisties on Hwy 9 and freeway with 10 psi. Figure I'll need to add some air with the rest of the family and the food.

Attachments

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hi folks - I joined about a month go and have been hard at work on my first rig. Here are some photos before (late July acquired the vehicle) and yesterday (August 30) after a dry run with it fully loaded (except for wife/kid and food). Looking forward to some adventures in the Central and North Sierra in the coming months!

Did some easy NF roads up near Groveland a couple weeks back and heading up to the Bear Valley area at the crack of dawn Friday Sept 4 for the day to give Corral Hollow and Hermit Valley to Lower Blue Lake a try. Any advise for this novice is appreciated! I have recovery gear, a ham radio/license, and water. :)

As an aside, I got this 2010 at a price I couldn't pass up, but see my longer-term vehicle as a 2012-2018 JKU (Pentastar v6, manual) so I'm being very selective on the investments I'm making into it that can't be moved to another JKU. For example, went with a budget boost and air spring kit (total $300) versus a full lift kit and HD springs. Will let you know how this works on the Sept 4 trip. Handled well yesterday on the twisties on Hwy 9 and freeway with 10 psi. Figure I'll need to add some air with the rest of the family and the food.
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.

If you have any questions message your Member Representative @PapaDave or me, your Regional Director, on the forum at @Narbob

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome to Overland Bound
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions. For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representative; Bay Area @PapaDave
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Here is the closest meet-up to your location;
Tri-Valley Livermore CA
US West - Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Welcome! I am the Bay Area member rep and I can help connect you to meet ups that are happening near you. In Pleasanton CA there is a meet up on the second Sunday’s of the month and it has a great regular turn out and active. The Tri-Valley (Pleasanton) group has number of plans already laid out for June through December. Our next meet up will be September 13th, in person!

This is the regular meet up info

Tri-Valley Meet Up
US West - Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA
Just come! :)View Rally Point Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA STARTS MONTHLY ON DECEMBER 8TH EVERY SECOND SUNDAY MEET UP 1-3pm We are looking to gather together those living in the East Bay (and greater Bay Area) in downtown Pleasanton CA. Everyone is welcome as we look to gather...
www.overlandbound.com
www.overlandbound.com
If you have questions feel free to reach out

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Todd- I am new to the group; my son and I are planning on an over-nighter and will be travelling the Deer Valley trail from Hermit Valley to Lower Blue Lake as well on Friday, 09/04. Possibly running Sourgrass Trail in Dorrington on Saturday? Maybe we'll bump into each other? We'll be in a red Jeep YJ and green Jeep TJ. Unfortunately no HAM comm as of yet, just some GMRS for the time being; no or very limited cell service in the area. Travel safe .

Sierra Bound

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Cupertino, CA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hobert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6UYI
Todd- I am new to the group; my son and I are planning on an over-nighter and will be travelling the Deer Valley trail from Hermit Valley to Lower Blue Lake as well on Friday, 09/04. Possibly running Sourgrass Trail in Dorrington on Saturday? Maybe we'll bump into each other? We'll be in a red Jeep YJ and green Jeep TJ. Unfortunately no HAM comm as of yet, just some GMRS for the time being; no or very limited cell service in the area. Travel safe .

@Roger 2486 great to meet you and I'll be on the lookout! My pix are at the start if the thread but for convenience I'm in a White JKU with a CVT RTT and black wheels. I'll probably end up heading first to Hermit Valley to scope out (i.e., not drive. :) ) the first section to see what I'm up against. Then will head down to do Corral Hollow late morning.

Reactions: Roger 2486

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

@Roger 2486 great to meet you and I'll be on the lookout! My pix are at the start if the thread but for convenience I'm in a White JKU with a CVT RTT and black wheels. I'll probably end up heading first to Hermit Valley to scope out (i.e., not drive. :) ) the first section to see what I'm up against. Then will head down to do Corral Hollow late morning.
Deer Valley is a pretty rocky, slow going trail. Lot's of obstacles but beautiful scenery. I've been told running the trail from Hermit Valley north is more challenging than from the Blue Lakes side down. Hope to cross paths! We should be arriving around noon I would expect; making a stop on the way up from the Bay to finalize the purchase of a 1946 Jeep Willys 2A field find.

Reactions: Sierra Bound

Sierra Bound

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Cupertino, CA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hobert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6UYI
Deer Valley is a pretty rocky, slow going trail. Lot's of obstacles but beautiful scenery. I've been told running the trail from Hermit Valley north is more challenging than from the Blue Lakes side down. Hope to cross paths! We should be arriving around noon I would expect; making a stop on the way up from the Bay to finalize the purchase of a 1946 Jeep Willys 2A field find.
Sorry we missed each other up HWY 4 this weekend. Decided to start Friday morning at Corral Hollow. Vehicle and driver appeared to handle the trail just fine but upon coming back out to the road discovered my transfer case shifter was no longer connected to the shifter cable....could't get out of 4L! Took an hour to diagnose the issue which involved removing the center console. Fortunately, I had some wire to keep the cable on the shifter for the rest of the day. Will be carrying several spare $5 plastic bushings from now on! As a result, never made it up to Hermit Valley to scope out the trail there as planned. Had a fantastic time the first time out nevertheless. A true example of why it pays to be prepared (torx sockets, wire, etc.)

• Wow
Reactions: Roger 2486

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Sorry we missed each other up HWY 4 this weekend. Decided to start Friday morning at Corral Hollow. Vehicle and driver appeared to handle the trail just fine but upon coming back out to the road discovered my transfer case shifter was no longer connected to the shifter cable....could't get out of 4L! Took an hour to diagnose the issue which involved removing the center console. Fortunately, I had some wire to keep the cable on the shifter for the rest of the day. Will be carrying several spare $5 plastic bushings from now on! As a result, never made it up to Hermit Valley to scope out the trail there as planned. Had a fantastic time the first time out nevertheless. A true example of why it pays to be prepared (torx sockets, wire, etc.)
Sorry to have missed you as well. Something must have been in the air as I also had some mechanical challenges during the day. We arrived as planned and began the Deer Valley trail at Hermit Valley. While starting over the gatekeeper obstacle, I thought I had picked a bad line and somehow over-flexed the front suspension, inverted a leaf spring shackle and separated the front driveshaft from the pinion yoke due to over extension. After being winched off the obstacle and completing field repairs, two hours later we started the trail once again intact. 20 seconds later, same catastrophe all over again, this time completely driver error on my part...another two hours, and we started a third time except we chose to leave my front driveshaft disconnected and I only had two-wheel high and low to get me through, what in my opinion is a fairly challenging trail. With some pushing, pulling and one event of winching, we made it out to the other side albeit later than expected, tired and dirty. We camped for the evening and explored the area the next day. I'm not sure if it was sheer determination, stubbornness, a " I can't be defeated attitude", or just stupidity, but we completed what we set out to do and had a great time. In light of the recent fires, and total closure of all the National Forests yesterday, feeling blessed to have had the time with my son and ability to enjoy the environment, which is now closed indefinitely. Hopefully we may connect on a future outing and your repairs easily are completed. Turns out my new spring lift is very flexible but, which I suppose is not bad problem to have, but I need to complete some modifications with the shackles to keep them from flexing as much as they do to avoid future issues. Cheers!

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey Todd, we are meeting this Sunday and you are welcome to come