Headed to Sedona this weekend and looking for locals insight.

• HTML tutorial

THISWY

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Surprise, AZ
Member #

I'm headed up to Sedona this weekend and am looking to see who can tell me the best local, out of the way, secret locations to explore and get some good pictures of the red rock. I'm bringing my drone with me too and if you can give the same kind of info for drone flights, that are legal you get extra kudos.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

I've got some videos of my trip to Sedona. They are pretty much the gopro stuck on my roof rack while I drive the trails, but it'll give you an idea what the trails are like.
Another cool spot is Soldier Pass, up by the sinkhole. (It's a right up the hill once you get on the trail)
Here's a link to the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFhMn-XfhPYIVwvyqDIHJ7j1BtFiNoaP

Just about any of the trails out there are scenic, so you won't have to worry IF you get some good scenery, it's more WHERE you want to go.
Be warned, on the weekends, there is more traffic on the trails. The Pink Jeeps use them to wheel the tourists up and down. The good thing is that they are great stewards of those trails, as they keep them well maintained for their livelihood.
I hope you have a great trip and post your photos and videos for us!
20150825_093247.jpg 20150828_095328.jpg

Reactions: Meta6981

THISWY

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Surprise, AZ
Member #

TXpedition, thanks for all the info. I'll look through your videos later tonight. And, I'll be sure to share pics from the trip once we get back. I'm sure I'll have some of the same GoPro mounted to the roof rack videos too. Ha!

Reactions: TXpedition

NV.Recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reno, Nevada
Member #

Not a locals secret but you could get some really cool drone footage at Devils bridge. Only been to Sedona once but it was awesome. Would love to see pics and video of your trip!

OB 3319

Reactions: THISWY

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I like the outlaw trail. You reach it off the FR's between Cottonwood and Sedona. I would stay away from broken Arrow and Schnebly as they are heavily trafficed by the jeep tours. There is a great trail toppgraphic map of the area available. If you swoop into ruins area there is less jeep tour traffic and you can get up to the cliff dwellings.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app

THISWY

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Surprise, AZ
Member #

I like the outlaw trail. You reach it off the FR's between Cottonwood and Sedona. I would stay away from broken Arrow and Schnebly as they are heavily trafficed by the jeep tours. There is a great trail toppgraphic map of the area available. If you swoop into ruins area there is less jeep tour traffic and you can get up to the cliff dwellings.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app
I've never heard of Outlaw trail until now. I just looked it up and am definitely adding it to the list of trails. I'm just hoping that the rain is light or doesn't show up at all this weekend. Currently Sat is set for 65% chance of rain.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Schnebley Hill Road is the best way to pull into Sedona. That is the road we took to arrive and it was fantastic. Check out the Petroglyphs. They are pretty dang cool.

THISWY

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Surprise, AZ
Member #

I've got some videos of my trip to Sedona. They are pretty much the gopro stuck on my roof rack while I drive the trails, but it'll give you an idea what the trails are like.
Another cool spot is Soldier Pass, up by the sinkhole. (It's a right up the hill once you get on the trail)
Here's a link to the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFhMn-XfhPYIVwvyqDIHJ7j1BtFiNoaP

Just about any of the trails out there are scenic, so you won't have to worry IF you get some good scenery, it's more WHERE you want to go.
Be warned, on the weekends, there is more traffic on the trails. The Pink Jeeps use them to wheel the tourists up and down. The good thing is that they are great stewards of those trails, as they keep them well maintained for their livelihood.
I hope you have a great trip and post your photos and videos for us!
View attachment 16797 View attachment 16798
TXpedition, I have to say man... great videos of the trails. They really give a good sense of what kind of terrain each trail will offer along with which trails are a little more overgrown than others. I don't mind 4 wheeling. But, I don't want any Arizona pin stripes down the sides of my rig just yet. Thanks for sharing the information!

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

TXpedition, I have to say man... great videos of the trails. They really give a good sense of what kind of terrain each trail will offer along with which trails are a little more overgrown than others. I don't mind 4 wheeling. But, I don't want any Arizona pin stripes down the sides of my rig just yet. Thanks for sharing the information!

Thanks man!
Honestly, I don't remember any pinstriping on those trails. I think you'll be ok.
There is a trail called Greasy Spoon that I didn't get to go on last time. Hopefully next visit. I think it's less touristy from what I remember.
There were youtube videos I found a while back.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

If you hit up Sedona do not forget to get a Redrock pass. The fine for not having one is very expensive but the pass is just a few bucks. I get the year pass just for convenience but I go about 4 time a year.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

You can hit up barrlow jeep rentals to get some good ideas if trails and back roads as well and worst case scenario if they stop you just say your lost they will usually send you in the right direction.

THISWY

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Surprise, AZ
Member #

If you hit up Sedona do not forget to get a Redrock pass. The fine for not having one is very expensive but the pass is just a few bucks. I get the year pass just for convenience but I go about 4 time a year.

Yeah, I plan to get an annual pass when we get there too. I'm not too far from Sedona. So, I'm hoping I'll be able to get up there a few times this year.

THISWY

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Surprise, AZ
Member #

IMG_4066.JPG IMG_4075.JPG It looks way worse than it actually was, while we were on the trails that is. We went out Schnebly Hill Trail and it allowed me to try out my skid plate by accident. But, the plate did its job and held firm with no marks on it that I could find. I also tried Soldiers Pass and considering how tight the trail was I only went about an 1/8th of a mile into that one. All in all I'm very happy that we braved the rain and made the trip up to Sedona. I think the rain actually made the trip that much more fun. It definitely made Schnebly Hill trail pretty quite, while we were on it. If anyone is out in Sedona don't forget that the small town of Jerome isn't too far away and in my opinion is worth adding a little extra time to your drive just to check out. As we drove back to Phoenix from Jerome we even got to drive across the top of Mingus mountain and got to see a little snow at the top. All in all it was a great trip!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta6981