Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

My LED Lenser headlamp has been less than impressive in battery longevity and recently went out completely during a head downpour. Any suggestions for a good quality replacement?

Reactions: dziner

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Petzl or black diamond. Both are great brands. I have a black diamond that has lasted me for 8 years now. Mine doesn't have it but consider the red light feature. Helps out a lot at night when reading a map or trying to dig through a tote without disrupting night vision. I agree with Steve. AAA is the way to go! I know these brands are also decently water resistant and for a reasonable price.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I have a couple Black Diamonds. The larger of the two has 2 beam types, and the red LED. It's good if you're hiking and need good light at a distance. The smaller one I use in the tent or to work on the truck. You don't need 200 lumens when you're a foot or two away from something.

@BEAR has one with an IR auto adjusting brightness sensor. Put your hand in front of it and it will dim so as to not reflect so intensely. Gotta love technology!

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Here's my suggestion...

When you're around other people, wear it around your neck. It still lights up where you're walking. It still lights up whatever you're working on. But it doesn't blind everyone you look at :-)

View attachment 7874
Good tip! Haha I like making everyone blind [emoji23] I will use this tip from here on out!

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I bought a lot of head lamps since I started backpacking 22 years ago. When I needed a new head lamp, I always bought the best one at REI. But over time I realized that a cheap head lamp works great as well. A couple of years ago I bought a Husky LED head lamp at Home Depot for $6.00 and it also came with a small LED flashlight. So far, I think it's been the best Head Lamp so far.

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

My go to headlamp is a Princeton tec(tan one), it's led, takes AAA's, and has a red filter that slides over the light instead of having to cycle through to it. It was the issued headlamp while I was in the military, so it's taken some abuse and still running strong on about 5 years.

The petzl (black one) is my loaner. I found it half buried in the Mojave desert, all it needed was new batteries.

20160921_205031-1.jpg

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I've been using Princeton Tec for around 20 years; their Apex for the past five years - and they've always worked great for me.
But I have tried out a bunch from Petzl, Black Diamond, LED Lenser, etc. For the most part, every brand has their "star" and they're generally all comparable.
So, don't get hung up on a brand. Do some research, spend a little cash, and find what works for you.

There's a wave of rechargeable headlamps coming through now that tend to last longer, and even intuitive headlamps designed to adjust the level of lighting based on what you're looking at.
I would say this:

1. Go rechargeable, and make sure it's one you can use while charging.
2. If not, get one that can use rechargeable batteries, or CR123 batteries.
3. Make sure they're waterproof or water-resistant.
4. Always bring a back up (I don't care what you have and what you spend - electronics crap out all the time!)

Here's a nice alternative that can be used at camp or as a "headlamp"... They used RAM Mounts and GoPro style mounts, so you could mount one of these buggers to your chest and just walk around looking like Iron Man all night. I've done it. It's awesome. http://www.gearaid.com/shop

The two bigger models are actually "power plants" and you can charge off of them.
I used the Arc for 2 nights in a row and it still had power left.

Attachments

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

I received a Christmas present this past year of the "as seen on tv" Atomic Beam headlamp and was absolutley amazed at the intesity and coverage of the beam. At $20 for two units, they are nearly disposable. So far though, the one unit has lasted 10 hours without any noticeable dimming. While i haven't dropped mine from a helicopter 300 ft above the ground like they do in the commercial it has taken a beating in the weather out here this winter. Freezing rain, snow and regular ol' fat rain and worked every time. I will be stowing it in my overlanding gear from here on out.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Petzl actik core. With the rechargeable battery they're awesome and put out a crap load of light

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

I use Princeton Tec get pretty good life out of the batteries. Use new premium batteries for your primary. Lights are only as good as thier power source.

'11 Rubicon ; '09 Outback ; '09 Yamaha FZ1

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have 3 Princeton Tec headlamps that are pretty awesome. For $20 each it's hard to beat them. That being said, I am giving thoughts to going to one that is rechargeable for my main source of light. Any suggestions for rechargeable ones is appreciated.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Depends what I'm doing, if it's walking the dog around the park in the winter, playing around at the campsite, or working on the vehicle I usually throw on the little petzel tikka. When I'm grooming and may need to walk back out I take my fenix - HP15 runs on AA and isn't too heavy..

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I'm very happy with my old and *ahem* …bulky, Fenix HP25.

I do keep 3 Pelican Progear 2760's in the truck though as well when traveling. Much easier to use...