Have you converted to all Electric and no Gas

• HTML tutorial

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I have gone all electric to power fridge/heated sleeping bag/cooking.
I have had a compressor fridge for 10 years it is awesome would run out and buy another the second it died.
I have a heated sleeping bag so am always nice and toasty all night long I got rid of the deiseal heater was more of a pain and took up way to much space.
Cooking I have a small all metal kettle for boiling water for tea its an old school one so can also cook in it also have a hotplate just cuz it cost me 3 bucks at the thrift store will get an induction cooktop when I find one for the right price.
I have 280ah lithium bat and 300 watt solar and can charge off the alternator if needed but rarely need to unless I have parked in a camp spot that does not get any sun.
So happy I have gotten away from fuel of any kind always a pain when camping and running out and then needing to find it now its just not an issue..
So are you still old school or up to date running all electric?

Reactions: P8trit

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I went to led's and electric blankets a few years ago. Still have propane stove. if I can figure out how to get around that without a ton of batteries, ill be good.

Reactions: danwyandt

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I'm building up to electric, but still doing a hybrid system. I have 200Ah, using standard deep cycle AGM, that can take charging input from solar or alternator via a redarc BCDC.
So far it powers my fridge and charges electronics but haven't pulled the trigger on electric blankets or griddles yet, no inverter.

you take it any way you want. its still lithium ether way shesh....
I'd be curious to know which you chose and why you chose it as well. It may have been that you didn't care which kind of lithium battery you ended up with but we all geek out over the decision/selection process of accessories as much as trip planning!

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I met a guy camping last time that had a van built out, did it himself, I was very impressed. He said he didn't even know what a jigsaw was before he did it, which made it even more impressive.

ANYWAYS, his van was almost ALL ELECTRIC. Fridge, electric Stove, small convention oven, electric hot water heater, he even has a small rooftop A/C that he ran off the batteries, his cabin heater ran off his unleaded gas. I think he said he had 6 100aH LiFePO batteries and a bunch of solar panels up top. Well over $10,000 in electrical. That is a lot of money, up keep, etc. I will gladly roll around with a 11 pound propane tank to run the stove and eventual water heater.

That being said, our trailer is still in it's infancy. I have a single 145 aH AGM battery that is only powering lights at the moment. But will very soon be powering a 12 volt pump and tent fans for the summer months. I hope to get a 12v fridge soon, might have to get one before the summer. When all that comes down I will probably go with a 2nd 145 aH battery which I already have. Might throw a 100 watt solar panel into the system, we'll see.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So my fridge is a compressor fridge, obviously electric and running from the main battery.
All cooking is done with propane, I have a big generic stove and a high efficiency cooking system that can be used as a normal cook stove or high efficiency water heater. It takes more than 1 trip to run through one of the small bottles for each cooker...
So it would be a waste of time energy and obviously money to build a sophisticated electrical setup, even though I'm a electronics technician and kind of annoyed not to have a fancy electric system in my vehicle I just don't need it.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I’m working towards all electric. I put a 3000 watt inverter in the truck. We have an electric skillet and old single electric cook top so I could if I wanted to. Getting away from propane with an alcohol stove for boiling water and recently got a gasoline hiking stove to potentially replace both the alcohol and propane. Just haven’t had enough trips to say the old Coleman can stay home yet.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

As long as I'm cookin' chili out there on the road, I will never be in a "no gas" environment...

Seriously though...watching this thread.

I've seen the electric kettles that people use at the office so they can make tea without flame. That seems like a good place to start. Right now my cooking is all propane canisters.

I'm interested in Goal Zero or Jackery with a panel on the roof...

Reactions: Ubiety

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

While going all electric seems fine and dandy, I fail to see the reason for an electric sleeping bag. It just seems wasteful. Are you sleeping in northern MN? I have camped down into the single digits and a regular down sleeping bag, no batteries required, has kept me plenty warm. Just sayin’…

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
While going all electric seems fine and dandy, I fail to see the reason for an electric sleeping bag. It just seems wasteful. Are you sleeping in northern MN? I have camped down into the single digits and a regular down sleeping bag, no batteries required, has kept me plenty warm. Just sayin’…
It would appear that @Nomad has left the building.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

A bit of an update I am not going to get an induction stovetop I have been using a single burner electric stove works great and no need to worry about the right kind of pots or pans efficiency is not everything as its made out to be for me..
Also had a microwave it worked great I love em but what a space hog but if for what ever reason I need it I can put it back in...

answering a few coments
Tundracamper
for me a heated sleeping bag of my own making only draws .5 watts per hour but the temps were rather cold this year so I was glad I had it it dipped to -40c and -35c for over a month and I am a cold sleeper so I need all the heat I can get..

Pretzel
I bought the raw batteries its one pack of 4 - 3.2 volt and BMS off a place that sells bulk dont think their was a brand name off hand..
the cost for me was less than getting one premade 100 ah battery
now I think they have 300ah packs by the time I need another pack who knows could be 500+ah but the home brew pack I have now should last me 10 years I hope!

Ubiety
nope im still here just out and about camping so not on here much due to no cell services were I go.
also yes site is gone and have removed it just to keep you happy ok....

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
So are you still old school or up to date running all electric?
sounds like the minute YOU decided to go all electric, that was the turning point in society where we are either "old school" or "up to date".
well, i guess someone needs to be out there setting the standard for rest of us... :grinning:

Snapspinner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fuquay-Varina, NC, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Whipple
Member #

I guess I'm old school still, but for high energy density and low cost gas is still better. Not faulting the OP for drawing a line in the sand and going with all electric, it's always exciting to lead the way. However, early adopters usually get punished for their efforts, as mass adoption leads to better products and lower prices for those who follow.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have gone very much electric on most things since doing my 340ah/4,200 watt hour LiFePO4 setup with a wagantech 1k watt inverter, but I can't bring myself to go induction cooking. I like propane and my cook partner stove. It would be tricky to use my coleman oven without propane. For heat though, ya. 12v electric blanket is awesome when sleeping in my cab and the 200w little desk space heater I use is great if its very cold to warm up the air.

I love seeing more electric setups though. Its fun to be able to move past the limitations of lead acid/agm batteries. Having tons of power with basically no voltage drop is amazing. Solid 13.2v for days.

1678559554777.png

1678559502707.png

1678559686781.png
This is dual 170ah renogy lifepo4 batts, wagan tech 1k inverter, victron smartshunt, lynx power in bus bar, 25 amp shore power charger, redarc bcdc 50 amp, Yaesu FTM 400, and i have an extra victron mppt in there for solar which im not using and it controls the heat pads under the batteries for cold weather charging support. (all under my front runner drawer system, this photo with the drawers fully open and the top off)

Reactions: Ubiety and Corrie

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

No, and I won't be anytime soon.

My hot water, cooking and heat are all LPG

Because I like to take a real shower, actually cook stuff not just heat up a can of Beanie Weenies and having the cabin heated.

LPG is inexpensive, energy dense and widely available. It also works when there has been no sun for days.

I have 100ah LifePo, 190 watts mounted and 100 watts on a 50 foot cable. I use electricity for what it is good for. Similarly I use LPG for what it is good for.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I'm about 50/50, cabin heat and cooking are from LPG. I boil water, use a electric blanket, lighting, charging from a power station with solar charging. New to the power station, I'm learning more and liking it.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Electric is expensive, I can buy a lot propane for the cost of 300 AH of battery and associated hardware. I use a small Jackery 240 (16AH) for my electrical needs, which are very minimal. Most of my electrics are rechargeable last a couple of days and charged while I drive. I am considering small solar setup, but as I am generally under trees it is a bit of a nuisance.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I have to add that I do turn on an electric heater for 20 min just so I can get out of a warm bed on those cold mornings..