Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Having a Hannibal Roof Rack fitted to my beloved Defender 90 I have the option of attaching a vehicle awning. Hannibal produce a few variations including Side Awnings (to fit on the left or right side), a rear awning or something called a Spyder Awning. Optional sides can be purchased for the Side Awning thus creating extra storage or a changing area. I have attached pictures below for all to see. Does anyone have any experience of any of them?

hanniabl-awning-2-700x700.jpg

hanniabl-awning-sides-2-700x700.jpg

hannibal-spyder-awning-2-700x700.jpg

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Have seen the Spider at a number of shows and seen it being put out and during a multi day show. My thoughts it looks incredibly well built but very heavy and not particularly big (it looks tiny in comparison to a Foxwing) it also seemed to pool water which put me off.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I'm on the verge of buying a side awning. What I like about them is they're set up within minutes and are self supporting so therefore no poles are required.

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

The no supporting poles/lines is interesting not sure in reality the difference in setup time as most awnings only take a few minutes to put out is that big a deal. There no pole/lines design does make them smaller than most awnings though the 2m one is only 1.7m deep and even the larger 2.5m wide one is only 2m deep.
Most awnings on the market as far as I can see for 2m wide are 2.5m deep that's almost 50% more shade.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

The no supporting poles/lines is interesting not sure in reality the difference in setup time as most awnings only take a few minutes to put out is that big a deal. There no pole/lines design does make them smaller than most awnings though the 2m one is only 1.7m deep and even the larger 2.5m wide one is only 2m deep.
Most awnings on the market as far as I can see for 2m wide are 2.5m deep that's almost 50% more shade.
No poles means no poles taking up space when driving from A to B. I'm not saying that no poles is the best thing since sliced bread either. Poles genearly mean guy ropes of sorts too. After several "end of the day wind down beverages" those guy ropes like to find their way at your feet in the dark.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
They look pretty neat! It appears that they have nice heavy fame rails that fold back against the body instead of collapsing like some of the others I've seen. There are pros and cons for every design but I personally like this better than the ARB and similar.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

There is a definate advantage of having the Hannibal Roof Rack in that the Awning fits neatly. The Awning will fit to other roof racks but would probably require some modifications / fabrications