Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
That's because the people selling $300 GMRS radios don't want people to know that the $300 does what the $25 dollar radio does. As long as they are programmed to the same frequencies, the same codes, and bandwidth they with interoperate.

The reality is if you are not a "radio" guy and only use your radios infrequently or like 99% of people do, there is no reason not to use the $25 radios. They are even type certified and clean ones out now, and they are still around $25.

Shawn
I don't know what their reason is or if they're being deceitful, I'm just helping Chris find a starter radio. I was the second person to reply here and I never said to buy an expensive mounted radio.

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
What do groups in your area use? It’s pointless to buy a GMRS radio if they primarily use ham.

Handhelds are great but for distance nothing beats a mobile unit. I ended up getting my ham and GMRS license and ended up with a mobile ham that I use for ham and GMRS there are power limitations to some GMRS channels so do your homework if you’re going this route.

You’ll also be able to use it for emergency communication if needed.

Shawn686

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Canada
I don't know what their reason is or if they're being deceitful, I'm just helping Chris find a starter radio. I was the second person to reply here and I never said to buy an expensive mounted radio.
And I never said that you did tell him to buy an expensive radio. Only that the people that always say inexpensive radios are garbage usually sell expensive radios

Shawn

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I was way too late to the GMRS party as I can be stubborn at times and cherished my vintage Cobra CB. That thing was 30 years old and still pumping strong. Or so I thought. Family travels with us a lot now so I gave GMRS hand helds a try, which ended up being an exercise in frustration. We usually run far apart on trails 1/4 mile or more, and even further apart on the highways and the handheld just wasn’t doing the job. I reverted back to CB for the next couple of trips, which really sucked because no one that Overland’s uses CBs any longer. Finally, a couple years ago I bought an entry level mounted MXT 115 GMRS. Wow! Should have done it years ago. Easily talking 10 miles apart and sometimes further. I remember once, in the open deserts of NM we talked a little more than 20 miles out. CB, never again- hand held GMRS? Gave em away. Hand held for spotting? Nope- we all use hand signals- no talking, yelling or depending on a handheld’s battery to last all day, which they do not. I’d suggest forgoing any frustration, spend the $150 and get the entry level 115.

Reactions: mtn

AfricanSubaru

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Africa
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Luff
Been using Midlands and Baofengs for a while now.... If the UV5R is setup correctly it works fine with any GMRS radio.... Keeping in mind you need to "Program" the frequencies In per chanel.... Which is avaliable on the web... I use a PC app, Chirp, which works a treat.... If you buy the Baofeng GMRS specific radios they work with any other GMRS radio. In the past the Baofeng radios, specifically the UV5R variants were "Iffy" now they are as good as any other out there... The fact that you can fit another antenna makes them exceptionally appealing... even if illegal.... which you can't do on the Midland handhelds... Cause they are legal... But in the open they work well, line of sight on the better units, 10km is no issue..... What I have found on any of the radios.... Antenna instillation is key.... Do it properly and tunne it with a SWR meter, you will be surprised at the range.... Correct cable, well fitted connectors, and tuned length of antenna after the instilation Is connected and you will get maximum range.... But you won't speak through and around mountains... No radio will......

The above link will take you to what I believe is the best YouTube channel concerning GMRS, he is not an expert, so gives the best and most practical and humerus advice backed with facts.

Last edited: