Handheld radio recommendations

• HTML tutorial

tanner sheltry

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chickasha Oklahoma
Member #

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good handheld radio setup. I do a lot of hiking so I'd like something that could perform double duty as a hiking radio and an overland radio. I was considering handheld cb's but I wasn't sure if there was a better option out there. I plan on adding a cb to my jeep soon but I want a decent stand in until then and have something I can communicate with my buddies that don't have cb's.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
If this is going to serve for both a hiking and for Overlanding, It depends on what radio the other Overlanders are using. Their are lots of people using CB. I see many migrating to FRS/GMRS. Some, as @RockyMountaineer points out, use Ham (2M/70cm). If you aren't sure, I think an FRS is a safe bet. No test, No license, and cheep. For full disclosure, I have all the above in my rig. I like to be able to talk to everyone on the trail.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Tanner, welcome to the site.

The topic of communications doesn't have a straight forward answer. It really depends on who you are trying to talk to and what they are using and unfortunately this sometimes requires the use of less than optimal options like CB (personal opinion).
Off road groups in the area still run CB.

If you are just wanting to communicate with friends/family around camp then FRS (no license) or GMRS (license, but one license covers whole family) are good options.

To talk over greater range a ham radio would be the best option, though more technical it is not really difficult.
There are many ham radio repeaters and a couple of linked repeater systems around the state. The Tulsa Amateur Radio Club (TARC) maintains a large UHF linked system that covers the eastern half of the state, including a repeater just north of OKC.

The Southwest Independent Repeater Association (SWIRA) has a smaller VHF linked system in SW Oklahoma with a repeater in Cyril.

The Kan-Okla Intertie System is a VHF/UHF linked system from Central/Northern Oklahoma up into Central Kansas.

If you are interested in getting your Technician license let me know and I will get you pointed towards a test session and study material.

tanner sheltry

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chickasha Oklahoma
Member #

Tanner, welcome to the site.

The topic of communications doesn't have a straight forward answer. It really depends on who you are trying to talk to and what they are using and unfortunately this sometimes requires the use of less than optimal options like CB (personal opinion).
Off road groups in the area still run CB.

If you are just wanting to communicate with friends/family around camp then FRS (no license) or GMRS (license, but one license covers whole family) are good options.

To talk over greater range a ham radio would be the best option, though more technical it is not really difficult.
There are many ham radio repeaters and a couple of linked repeater systems around the state. The Tulsa Amateur Radio Club (TARC) maintains a large UHF linked system that covers the eastern half of the state, including a repeater just north of OKC.

The Southwest Independent Repeater Association (SWIRA) has a smaller VHF linked system in SW Oklahoma with a repeater in Cyril.

The Kan-Okla Intertie System is a VHF/UHF linked system from Central/Northern Oklahoma up into Central Kansas.

If you are interested in getting your Technician license let me know and I will get you pointed towards a test session and study material.
I'd definitely be interested in that. I think I'm going to go for frs as a stand for the time being but I'd like to have a longer range capability. My main concern right now is vehicle to vehicle communication when I'm driving in a group

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I'd definitely be interested in that. I think I'm going to go for frs as a stand for the time being but I'd like to have a longer range capability. My main concern right now is vehicle to vehicle communication when I'm driving in a group
I have used study guides from http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/ and https://hamstudy.org/
There are other study sites and apps out there so if either of those two above don't work for you look around and find one that does.
On hamstudy create a log in so it keeps track or your progress and where you need help, it has study questions, flash cards, and practice test.

The closest test session to you is in Norman by the South Canadian Amateur Radio Society at the Norman Fire Station 7 (2207 Goddard Ave). It is the 1st Thursday of each month and you can pre-register at www.w5nor.org/license/index or contact n5uwy@arrl.net if you need more info.
The test is typically $15 and you will need a pencil (or pen), a copy of your driver's license, and you may bring an old school analog calculator if you need it.

FRS will work fine as long as everyone else is using it too. It may be advantageous to buy a half dozen radios to pass out.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
I have used study guides from http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/ and https://hamstudy.org/
There are other study sites and apps out there so if either of those two above don't work for you look around and find one that does.
On hamstudy create a log in so it keeps track or your progress and where you need help, it has study questions, flash cards, and practice test.

The closest test session to you is in Norman by the South Canadian Amateur Radio Society at the Norman Fire Station 7 (2207 Goddard Ave). It is the 1st Thursday of each month and you can pre-register at www.w5nor.org/license/index or contact n5uwy@arrl.net if you need more info.
The test is typically $15 and you will need a pencil (or pen), a copy of your driver's license, and you may bring an old school analog calculator if you need it.

FRS will work fine as long as everyone else is using it too. It may be advantageous to buy a half dozen radios to pass out.
Lots of good info, I'm another vote to snag HAM when you're able - FRS and/or CB is a great go-to as a beginning. HAM will get you that range you seek in the future. For me having HAM is the insurance for making a contact when needed if I don't have cell coverage, typically we can always snag a repeater somewhere in hopes of making an emergency contact. Honestly I prefer CB or FRS for caravans and trails due to the simplicity, not having to ID, etc.

As prerunner mentioned above communications can become pretty convoluted and it really depends who you run with in the area. At our OB-Midwest meet earlier this month each group used CB, FRS and HAM - I was the comms guy for group two and had three mics to contend with. I don't think we'll ever have a full proof solution that encompasses all members, that being said we primarily used CB during the drive, FRS for those without CB and HAM to communicate longer distance between groups and coordinate our positions, trail issues, etc.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I can't believe there isn't an actual handheld radio recommendation here. :tearsofjoy:

I agree with most of the comments above. And while I have a nice tri-band radio in my rig (Yaesu FT-8900R) I also have four BaoFeng UV+5R's. I have them all programmed for GMRS/FRS overlap. Great cost effect handheld units. They'll give you 2m/70cm access and you can use them on GMRS & FRS channels as well. Which I do when leading groups, they're my pass out units for spotters and people who show up without a radio.

The BaoFeng is a very cost effective handheld, there is a large following online and lots and lots of tutorials.

Combine it with this extended battery and a Nagoya NA-701 8-Inch Whip Antenna and you'll be golden.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
I'm sitting here laughing because I just realized the same... :tearsofjoy:

Second vote here for one of these. Quite popular little radios, on the OB meet I previously mentioned a few of the guys had this very radio so us nerds sat down and did some programming quick to get folks on the air. They aren't "technically" legal for FRS since the antenna is removable, but turn the power down and do as you wish.

If you're looking for something a bit more rugged I'm a Yaesu fan myself like BoldAdventure, I have a FT-7900 dual bander in my truck and am looking at moving to the 8900 - they also make some great portables such as the FT-65R.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have a couple BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) but like the idea of having four or five for the reasons @BoldAdventure mentions, so will eventually get more (the older models are considerably less expensive right now). I like the idea of the dual band left/right options of Yaesu units, too, but admit to not knowing as much about them. I'll look into that as well.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
HAM is where it's at! I prefer Icom radios but there are other great units. I have an icom 51a plus that's modded for mil coverage and a baofeng uv+5r for a back up. Next up will be an icom 5100 mounted on my dash as I need more range.

Download the ham test app to practice on your phone then go get your license, it's super easy.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Like others have suggested, go HAM, you can get your license easily in one day. Download one of the free study apps to practice on your phone. Range, clarity, and user community is much better than CB.

Radios can get confusing to buy, ask around your local SAR/ARES/RACES/skywarn clubs, you can find them on Facebook. They can help with programming. I prefer ICOM just based on my years of use I'm accustomed to their menu logic and I feel they have the best sound. Yaesu makes great stuff too. I have a Btech as a backup but would never trust it with my life.

If you go handheld an aftermarket antenna is a must. HAMMOCAN setups are cool for mobile/base camps.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

in canada we dont need a license for frs/gmrs so if we dont want to get a license its an easy choice. i 3rd the uv-5r. its super cheap and accessories are also super cheap. it can run uhf and communicate with frs radios or vhf for ham frequencies. too cheap not to have 1 (or 5). the license costs more than the radio. the range isnt that awesome but better than cb for sure.

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I keep Kenwood unit in my vehicle and a Yaesu unit at home. Both have APRS and GPS but never have needed to use those features so far. I like my Kenwood unit due to its ability to link with my Kenwood mobile system. What I hate most about handheld units are trying to remember how to program and use all the millions of features they have. :astonished:

Reactions: Coolhand

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

They can get very complicated. I keep a copy of the manual with all my handhelds and I keep a digital copy on my phone.

Overland Bound member #6560

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Friends and I use midland gxt1000 series frs/gmrs hand helda. I got thw gxt1030 mostly for the yellow so when i drop it (as i do) I can find it lol. Since my group has moved from cb to gmrs it is really nice to have a handheld for spotting and what not. Also great for base camp coms with kids and bigger groups and your gmrs license covers your family. I do plan to go ham eventually but gmrs has met all my needs.

I like using the external mic/speaker personaly

Were it stays in the truck for easy access. My other one goes in same spot on passenger side for wife or if solo for others who may need.
Have been impressed so far with the range (altho as we all know not the 38 miles on the box) they have done well and also nice to have another NOAA capable radio for weather reports when away from the truck

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: TerryD

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds