HAMateur looking for help

• HTML tutorial

Jcollins5493

Rank 0

Traveler I

Goodmorning folks, I’m looking for some odd ham help. I have officially started my first overlanding build and I’m diving deep down the amateur radio rabbit hole. New to the ham world so you may have to excuse my dumb questions. Yes I know the search functionality exists and I’m using to no avail.

One of my end goals is a clean install, and I would like to integrate the unit as much as possible and really get the most from my ham investment for years and years to come.

Some thoughts I have

Are there any units that allow integration into an existing head unit? Or a 3rd party plug adapter to take the display info from the ham unit and send it to my existing head unit?

What I currently have

I’m running a joying 10” single din receiver in my xj. It is an android unit with considerable power. 4gb ram with an octacore processor. I am more than willing to root the unit if it’s necessary. I’m far from tech savvy but I have dabbled several times in rooting android devices and successfully overclocked a galaxy note processor once.

The real questions are

1. Is it possible?

2. What models of radios am I looking for?

3. What kind of ham features will I be able to utilize and expand upon being android?

4. If integration is possible would I be able to dive into the realm of digital with the android and data transmissions via ARPS ?

5. This also opens up another can of worms with tying it to the navigation setup

We had a serious injury on one of our hikes last year (broken ankle coupled with a type 1 diabetic) that could have been much less serious with solid reliable comms.

Thanks to all in advance for any helpful insight

I will link the radio I have below

IMG_2246.JPG

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-us-warehouse-10-1-big-screen-single-din-android-8-0-car-media-player-with-bluetooth.html

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Perhaps something like this is what you are for? http://pignology.net/piglet/
Not only does it display the radio info it also allows you to control the radio from the display. i am not sure that this can be done with a VHF/UHF radio, I have never really looked into it but have seen it done with HF radios which this device is for as it appears to use the DB9 connector on the back of most all HF radios.
APRS can easily be done via a Mobilinkd TNC and APRSdroid app. I would suggest a separate 2m radio dedicated to APRS. Or you could get a Kenwood D710g as it appears to do APRS well and still allow for voice comms. APRS beacons can be overlaid on the Backcountry Navigator app using the APRSdroid app.
The Piglet radio control module connects to the tablet (or radio in your case) via Wi-Fi and the Moblinkd TNC connects via bluetooth.
I don't use the rig control but I do run VHF/UHF, HF, and APRS in my XJ.

Jcollins5493

Rank 0

Traveler I

Perhaps something like this is what you are for? http://pignology.net/piglet/
Not only does it display the radio info it also allows you to control the radio from the display. i am not sure that this can be done with a VHF/UHF radio, I have never really looked into it but have seen it done with HF radios which this device is for as it appears to use the DB9 connector on the back of most all HF radios.
APRS can easily be done via a Mobilinkd TNC and APRSdroid app. I would suggest a separate 2m radio dedicated to APRS. Or you could get a Kenwood D710g as it appears to do APRS well and still allow for voice comms. APRS beacons can be overlaid on the Backcountry Navigator app using the APRSdroid app.
The Piglet radio control module connects to the tablet (or radio in your case) via Wi-Fi and the Moblinkd TNC connects via bluetooth.
I don't use the rig control but I do run VHF/UHF, HF, and APRS in my XJ.
Thanks for the info, I’m looking at the Kenwood unit now. If I’m reading this correctly the 710g will allow for voice coms and aprs at the same time so I can still monitor channels and have aprs functionality?

I’m digging through some ham forums and it appears it is possible to tie it to an android. Hopefully this means I’ll be able to link it into the joying. The joying actually has 2 usb links on the unit itself.

The face plate on the 710 is sleek and slender, I may not get my one screen dream but this unit seems small enough to not be cumbersome