Tribune, Greeley County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Francisco
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

Service Branch
Army
When it comes to radios, the only thing I am running right now is a gmrs radio and also have some handhelds that are frms. I’d like to get into HAM radios for that extra reach and piece of mind though. I don’t live anywhere near where I’m person testing is available. Has anyone had good experiences with online testing? I’ve heard it’s fairly new. Also what kind of studying have you all done to pass? Just looking to get my technician license for now.

Jackco48

Rank II

Off-Road Ranger I

Dillon, Summit County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Benson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0IUB
Service Branch
USMC
Having just got my tech license, my approach was pretty hassle free - used Ham Radio Prep App (Apple), The ARRL Ham Radio license Manual. The App was my main study and the manual back fill. The process took 3 weeks. I did not take an on-line test, although ARRL has an article on how to proceed. Instead drove 80 mile to take the test. If you need the on-line option, go to the ARRL website

Reactions: 9Mike2

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When it comes to radios, the only thing I am running right now is a gmrs radio and also have some handhelds that are frms. I’d like to get into HAM radios for that extra reach and piece of mind though. I don’t live anywhere near where I’m person testing is available. Has anyone had good experiences with online testing? I’ve heard it’s fairly new. Also what kind of studying have you all done to pass? Just looking to get my technician license for now.
I am a VE for WF7S test group. We are an online only test group that has been actively testing since mid 2020. In this time we have a very high success rate… 2 out of 4,000 tests. Go to www.WF7S.Net/be-testing send Stephen a text saying W7FSB sent you and he will get you hooked up with something.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I am studying for my HAM right now. The test changes I think June 11th.

I am using hamradioprep.com (paid $35) it ok I guess, and the flash cards on hamexam.org also. My father is a HAM and I would also like to have it for the same reasons you are getting.

I've always had a CB, on my new rig I'm gonna have a President Bill CB, Midland 40w GMRS, and a ICOM IC-2730A HAM radio.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am studying for my HAM right now. The test changes I think June 11th.

I am using hamradioprep.com (paid $35) it ok I guess, and the flash cards on hamexam.org also. My father is a HAM and I would also like to have it for the same reasons you are getting.

I've always had a CB, on my new rig I'm gonna have a President Bill CB, Midland 40w GMRS, and a ICOM IC-2730A HAM radio.
Test changes July 1st. I don’t like HamRadio prep.com because of the fee, I tried it for tech for a few days and ended up going with HamStudy.org… tech is free and only $5.00 for general and extra… plus along with all the study material they show all of the tests available near you.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Test changes July 1st. I don’t like HamRadio prep.com because of the fee, I tried it for tech for a few days and ended up going with HamStudy.org… tech is free and only $5.00 for general and extra… plus along with all the study material they show all of the tests available near you.
Yea, Hamradioprep.com isnt that great. It may work for some, but hasnt been that helpful.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I’m taking my online tech test on the 26th. Can update with my experience if you’d like.
Yes, please. I'm going to study a little bit more and then take mine before the test change.

I'm waiting on the Midland MXT400 to come in before I start installing everything. But I already have the President Bill CB and ICOM IC-2730A radios.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
So heres the online test update. I took the test yesterday and passed. The test itself is just like the practice tests from HamStudy.org and straight forward . I'd say 95% of the questions on the test I had seen in the practice tests. The process leading up to the test is a bit overwhelming. You sign up, pay the fee, register with the FCC for a FRN and pick your time to test from a list of options. I picked 530pm I believe but they say that your actual test will be somewhere within like a 6hr window, my test ended up being at 345. I received several emails leading up to the test with various instructions. The actual instructions page is pretty in-depth with what is required. Need to be in a room with a door, like a bathroom or closet, no drinks, food, etc, nothing on walls, 2 devices-computer and phone both with Zoom app and both with cameras. I was able to get myself all situated on the toilet in my bathroom. There were 3 test proctors that administer the test and watch you and the room. The lead was helpful with me getting my MacBook set up properly as I don't use Mac and was just borrowing one. All in all it is a good way to go if you dont have a local in-person test nearby but be prepared to spend about an hour and a half locked in a bathroom for the testing process.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The test itself is just like the practice tests from HamStudy.org
Congratulations! The HAM test is a gubmint test meaning that there is a large pool of published questions and you receive some subset of those questions for your actual test. I would assume that the study guides that you used just pulled from the entire set of questions. I found/downloaded the entire set of questions and used them as study guides when I took the HAM and FAA tests - back before fire was invented. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 9Mike2 and WTSMatt

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I'm a recent Tech. I got my license back in Nov. I studied and got tested via HamStudy.org and had a great experience. My test was over zoom and it was like every online examination I've ever done. I would highly recommend online if you don't have much in the way of testing near by or if you are struggling to get into an in-person testing facility. Just keep in mind there are multiple testers through Ham Study. I went through the Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group (GLARP).

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So heres the online test update. I took the test yesterday and passed. The test itself is just like the practice tests from HamStudy.org and straight forward . I'd say 95% of the questions on the test I had seen in the practice tests. The process leading up to the test is a bit overwhelming. You sign up, pay the fee, register with the FCC for a FRN and pick your time to test from a list of options. I picked 530pm I believe but they say that your actual test will be somewhere within like a 6hr window, my test ended up being at 345. I received several emails leading up to the test with various instructions. The actual instructions page is pretty in-depth with what is required. Need to be in a room with a door, like a bathroom or closet, no drinks, food, etc, nothing on walls, 2 devices-computer and phone both with Zoom app and both with cameras. I was able to get myself all situated on the toilet in my bathroom. There were 3 test proctors that administer the test and watch you and the room. The lead was helpful with me getting my MacBook set up properly as I don't use Mac and was just borrowing one. All in all it is a good way to go if you dont have a local in-person test nearby but be prepared to spend about an hour and a half locked in a bathroom for the testing process.
Who did you test through?

Reactions: Mendoza08