Ham Radio Operators... Mobile, HT, or Both?

• HTML tutorial

What kind of transceiver is in your Overland Rig

• Mobile (VHF and/or UHF)

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Handheld (VHF and/or UHF)

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Both

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I have two 2m/70cm radios in my rig, the Icom 2730a is for repeaters and the Kenwood 710g is for APRS and simplex operations, when I'm traveling with other HAMS. I run a Midland MXT275 (I will upgrade to the MXT575 when it is released) for when I am running trails with non-HAMS, as well as for National Weather Service info. I also carry a few 2m/70cm and GMRS HTs, in case I need to be out of the truck for any distance. FInally, I frequently carry a Yaesu FT-857D (this is more for fun than anything else, but, if everything else failed me, this could also be used to reach out for help) and a Bioenno battery ... You can never have too many communication options, in my opinion.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

Put me down as having both in the van and I have a handheld in the truck. The van has a quad band TYT 9800 which is the 8900 clone so I can monitor two channels at the same time. Both of my Boefeng 5vr and my TYT have the exact same channel programming except for the parts that the Bofeng can’t reach they will skip.

I find all of them work amazing and I’ve actually bought several of the bow fang units to give to friends while we’re out!!

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I also carry both for 2m/ 70cm: Yaesu FTM-100 and a FT-65 handheld. Same for the CB: Midland mobile unit and TTI handheld.

2xAGM114

Rank II

Enthusiast II

HT + my SOTA HF kit.

My Overlanding is a mode to get me to SOTA summits. The HT + APRS gets me there. That and I'm scared to cut into my '18 Taco to install a mobile rig.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I run with both. I have a Yeasu 2980 hooked up to a Diamond M285 as my workhorse, then an opened up HT that will RX and TX on VHF, UHF, MURS, and GMRS/FRS. Then most of the time my mountain topper and spark plug antenna with me too. You know in case I need to go old school...
I think the 2980 is the best overlanding radio, I mean 80watts is nice but if you dead key on high power you can cook lunch on the heat sink. I think Yeasu needs to put that in thier marketing literature...

Slolane

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sunshine State
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Goetzinger
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BUD
I have an FTM-400. FT-70D and Baofeng HTs + a CB. Also have handheld FRS/GMRS radios. I’ll probably add a GMRS mobile to the Jeep sometime in the future.