Enthusiast III

Magnolia, Texas, USA
First Name
Thad
Last Name
A.
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD5TZF
I was mostly referring to the high cost of good equipment. The only radio I have purchased is a Baofeng. The rest has been gifted or pass along due to somebody dying in the family.

I prefer to have many hobbies that I can lightly enjoy. It feel like amateur radio is one that you need to really get deeply into, to really enjoy.
I have enjoyed being a radio operator and all the money I have into it, is my Icom IC-T7H handheld and the few new batteries it's needed over the years. I have talked to people from all over the world just by knowing other operators with the equipment to do so. So it doesn't take much investment to get something out of it in my opinion.

Reactions: Overland True North

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I was mostly referring to the high cost of good equipment. The only radio I have purchased is a Baofeng. The rest has been gifted or pass along due to somebody dying in the family.

I prefer to have many hobbies that I can lightly enjoy. It feel like amateur radio is one that you need to really get deeply into, to really enjoy.
I’m into scale R/C crawlers, fishing, hunting, and now Ham... the radio I am getting costs less than my Cheapest Rifle, less than half of my cheapest Crawler, and only because I own so much fishing gear cheaper than fishing. Radio, Antenna, coax, and the odds and ends is going to set me back about $700...

Reactions: Overland True North

Ratthew

Rank I

Enthusiast I

What barriers are you talking about?

The main one I've noticed is in the local clubs. One of them is cool and everyone gets along and wants to do fun stuff with radios. The other is mostly older Hams that are "too cool for school" and pretty snobby and hard to get along with.
I would also add the "barrier" that you have to study ridiculous questions most people have no interest in and have no relevance to what you actually want to use the radio for.

Reactions: Flipper and 64Trvlr

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I would also add the "barrier" that you have to study ridiculous questions most people have no interest in and have no relevance to what you actually want to use the radio for.
Memorize the test pool... it’s not hard... I can barely memorize a new phone number, but I was able to memorize the test pool questions in under 2 weeks

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
For RAM mounts you can put a ball directly onto the back of the FTM400 and forego the use of the claw. Threaded mount is already supplied in the back of the control head and the ball arms will mount straight to it once you mount the appropriate ball. Lido Products LM-AD1 or Yaesu FTM-400XDR Install
I have a complete mount system on its way from Expedition Essentials which includes the RamX mounts. I am going with the Ram X mounts because I want to be able to take my head unit down to hide it To avoid theft.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Memorize the test pool... it’s not hard... I can barely memorize a new phone number, but I was able to memorize the test pool questions in under 2 weeks
I agree ... it isn't that hard. It just takes a little bit of time. But if instant gratification is your thing, then amateur radio is probably not for you. Now, actually learning about base units and antennas and such ... That is indeed a barrier.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I agree ... it isn't that hard. It just takes a little bit of time. But if instant gratification is your thing, then amateur radio is probably not for you. Now, actually learning about base units and antennas and such ... That is indeed a barrier.
I agree... I learn best hands on... so memorizing the test pool made me legal to get a radio and operate it. The Ham Club guys are awesome and helping me set up my ham shack and teaching me about all the other things I knew I had no clue of.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
The Ham Club guys are awesome and helping me set up my ham shack and teaching me about all the other things I knew I had no clue of.
I think it's like that everywhere with those guys ... They really are keen to get other people involved in amateur radio. Most of the practical knowledge I have regarding amateur radio came from hanging out with other more experienced HAMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
You can brain dump all that info afterwards. Helps to retain some of the antenna info but all of the info I use today I self taught via lots of googling before ever taking the test. The test was just to get the tech license. It's not a hobby for me it's a tool but I want to have somewhat of an understanding about the tools I use even if it's not something I consider a hobby. This is why I'll probably never progress past my technician license. I really have no use to. The privileges at this level are more than enough to accomplish what I want to do with radios which is local and trail communications.

Really GMRS would probably work out just fine for you if you find Amateur radio to not be worth the limited time needed to pass the test. It's a largely turnkey solution that requires very little knowledge to operate but still offers some pretty good capability.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
What barriers are you talking about?

The main one I've noticed is in the local clubs. One of them is cool and everyone gets along and wants to do fun stuff with radios. The other is mostly older Hams that are "too cool for school" and pretty snobby and hard to get along with.
Yeah folks in the local clubs are not my cup of tea either so I don't do their events. I would not let your like/dislike for clubs gate your entry into HAM radio; if you find a good club that is awesome, otherwise not a big deal IMO. Make it yours.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Downs

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
You can brain dump all that info afterwards. Helps to retain some of the antenna info but all of the info I use today I self taught via lots of googling before ever taking the test. The test was just to get the tech license. It's not a hobby for me it's a tool but I want to have somewhat of an understanding about the tools I use even if it's not something I consider a hobby. This is why I'll probably never progress past my technician license. I really have no use to. The privileges at this level are more than enough to accomplish what I want to do with radios which is local and trail communications.

Really GMRS would probably work out just fine for you if you find Amateur radio to not be worth the limited time needed to pass the test. It's a largely turnkey solution that requires very little knowledge to operate but still offers some pretty good capability.
Am right there with you @Downs; however am starting to get interested in my general to make use of HF's long reach.

Reactions: Downs

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Yeah folks in the local clubs are not my cup of tea either so I don't do their events. I would not let your like/dislike for clubs gate your entry into HAM radio; if you find a good club that is awesome, otherwise not a big deal IMO. Make it yours.
If you're talking to me, I joined both clubs. The "snotty boy" club I just like to sit in the meetings and ask questions and offer suggestions the other club a bunch of us have taken over and made it a friendly place and welcoming to newcomers and visitors.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
If you're talking to me, I joined both clubs. The "snotty boy" club I just like to sit in the meetings and ask questions and offer suggestions the other club a bunch of us have taken over and made it a friendly place and welcoming to newcomers and visitors.
Yup :) The local clubs/meets that I attended turned into politics/arguments/cliques about different aspects of the hobby (APRS 1200 vs 9600 at the time). Went my own way, had my own fun but probably would have progressed further if I had sought out a club. I guess that is the cool thing about ham; there are a lot of interesting avenues to explore and you can kind of do what you want (within reason).

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Ruben Z

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
Thats my point. Not everyone is in this for a hardcore Hobby. I just want something to use for when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and may need to contact help. It pretty much will be off and thrown in a drawer the rest of the days of the year. Not everyone wants to setup a dungeon Room with a 50ft Ham Tower Antenna in their backyard. lol

Ratthew

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Yep, mine too. This might raise dust in here, but to get a HAM tech license you have to study a bunch of useless nerdy stuff most will never use. Sure not "useless" to some of hobbyists of course, and in a SHTF sitch its gold - but certainly not needed for overland, general communication and camping. And I state this as a self proclaimed geek generally interested in MOST tech.

I don't expect the majority of my friends to give a CRAP about the fact “single sideband” is a form of amplitude modulation, “rosin core” is the best solder, or what the hell a rectifier or IRLP node is. We want to find each other, laugh, and communicate- within the FCC RULES. So I am also “realistic” and have a GMRS. While HAM might be superior in range, if you just want to roll with your buddies on the trails GMRS its effective for that and much more obtainable and doesn’t require a ridiculous test most just memorize and forget 90%.

This isn't so much a rant as an observation, as I believe HAM would have a lot more users /stronger community if it made things more “sensible” to the average folk – give us the rules, safety, and basic tips (e.g. antennas), done. To drive a car I don’t need to know WTH a fuel accumulator does or what automotive code p0171 means – and I should not have to know it to get my license and know right of way rules.

If the argument is to "screen" out the riff raff, then ok, I'll buy that 100%. ;-) I expect GMRS will grow a lot - anyway, now to continue studying for my technician license, LOL!!

Reactions: Ruben Z and Ubiety

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I think I paid $500 for my Kenwood mobile. My last Kenwood mobile lasted me 20 years. $500 divided by 20 is $25 per year.
Get one with a detached face and only mount the face when you want to use the radio. Currently I am only using 2m, but I have 70cm band available.
Used to play with Packet Radio back in the day. And maybe some day I will get a HF rig for either my truck or the "Ham Shack".

Swim as deep as you like, it's a big hobby and you can pick what you are interested in.
73's
Mike

Reactions: Ubiety

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
If the argument is to "screen" out the riff raff, then ok, I'll buy that 100%. ;-) I expect GMRS will grow a lot - anyway, now to continue studying for my technician license, LOL!!
Indeed, the test is like a "Gate Keeper" on the trail. Once past, you remember it fondly ( LOL ) then move on with the rest of the journey. :)

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I give my call sign every 10 minutes on the air because it’s one of the rules and I try to set a good example for new HAMs, not because I’m afraid the FCC will catch me. You do what you want, I’ll continue to encourage it just like I will continue to encourage people to pick up trash in the woods. They are both good practices.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
If you are going to use your radio on the trail I wouldn’t even worry about having a license, call sign every ten minutes, yeah right. The FCC is one of the most incompetent departments in the government. If you think they have agents on the trails with radio direction finders? that isn’t going to happen. The exam should be focused on the rules more than than your electronic aptitude. Most folks just memorize the answers, most people could care less what the voltage drop between resistor a and resistor b. or should it matter to Key a mic. And the Hammies love their rules.
Here’s a quick story with me and the FCC. I had a next door neighbor that was running a linear amp on a CB. It would bleed over onto or TV, stereo, clock radio, even my Wife’s Walkman. He would threaten to shoot cops, judges, rape your girlfriend anything to get you pissed off. He would get into arguments and use language that would make a sailor blush. All sorts of audio effects, echo, sirens. Our local Police Dept. went above and beyond. The Chief assigned two detectives to the case. They reminded me of Crockett and Tubbs. They gave me a tape recorder and every time he was on Air I was to record it, call an Officer on duty so they would have a record for building their case. The problem was they were general threats so there was no “victim” to press charges.After a YEAR , yes a YEAR of trying to get the FCC involved, letters never responded to, phone messages never returned, put on hold for over a hour this was before email. Finally I got thru to an employee. Explained the whole situation her response in a very arrogant tone “Well Mr. Finn, vulgarity on a CB radio isn’t exactly a priority of the FCC, now if this is a Police matter.......I cut her off right there, asked for her name and extension number and I will have some one call you right back. Called the Lead Detective and asked him to call her right away explaining everything. Next thing I know I get a call from the FCC stating that it’s going to be a joint State and Federal Operation. They finally got him on a charge of disrupting air flight communications. The Police had him labeled as a terrorist, got in touch with his landlord and got him evicted. Moved to the next town and was on the air the next day. I am not suggesting you break the law. Just food for thought.
The FCC may be a lazy mistress but watch out when she is on the hunt. Have a couple buddies who deal with the FCC regularly and they are very careful not to raise any "interest".

Reactions: Flipper