First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Nice!

In that case just make sure you have a good base and mount that will provide good antenna options, if I were to do it all over again I'd probably go with an NMO mount but my current setup as worked well enough that I haven't felt like messing with it (SO-239 mount).
Yeah I have found working with GMRS that I really like the NMO. I will likely stick with it. But again so many more options now it's overwhelming to say the least haha.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Antennas! I off-road a lot in tight canopies. So a lot of brush can hit my antenna. Recommendations on what I should look into? I plan on putting my antenna on a tailgate mount.
Another vote for the Signal Stick/Stalk. Both are great products. I bought my antennas before they came out but still may get one for my truck. Right now I use a Comet B10 (there is an NMO version) for around town. It's really short so I can still park in my garage even with it mounted on the rack. When I get out of town, I switch to a Jetstream JTM3B which is a half wave. Branches catch it but it hasn't broken yet. When it does, I'll switch to a Signal Stalk.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Another vote for the Signal Stick/Stalk. Both are great products. I bought my antennas before they came out but still may get one for my truck. Right now I use a Comet B10 (there is an NMO version) for around town. It's really short so I can still park in my garage even with it mounted on the rack. When I get out of town, I switch to a Jetstream JTM3B which is a half wave. Branches catch it but it hasn't broken yet. When it does, I'll switch to a Signal Stalk.
Looks like SIgnal Stick doesn't have NMO? Or maybe I'm missing something?

*EDIT* Never mind I see the stalk is NMO

Reactions: J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I forgot to add that a nice feature of the Jetstream is that it has a built-in fold over mechanism. Just pull the antenna up out of it's base and it folds over for tight brush. There is some rubber or bungee attachment that keeps it in place when folded.

And yes, I think the Signal stalk has an NMO option but they are on backorder:
Super-Elastic Signal Stalk – Signal Stuff

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I forgot to add that a nice feature of the Jetstream is that it has a built-in fold over mechanism. Just pull the antenna up out of it's base and it folds over for tight brush. There is some rubber or bungee attachment that keeps it in place when folded.

And yes, I think the Signal stalk has an NMO option but they are on backorder:
Super-Elastic Signal Stalk – Signal Stuff
Thanks for all the info. I see you are in Cincy. Once I get all this sorted out I'd like to get together sometime and talk rigs! I'm up in a suburb of Dayton.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Okay so I guess I have a side bar question for everyone. Antennas! I off-road a lot in tight canopies. So a lot of brush can hit my antenna. Recommendations on what I should look into? I plan on putting my antenna on a tailgate mount.
Carry several of different heights. The gain will follow the height, and may be needed depending on terrain and location.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Yeah I have found working with GMRS that I really like the NMO. I will likely stick with it. But again so many more options now it's overwhelming to say the least haha.
NMO is the standard for vhf and uhf mobile antennas. Any other kind of mount will dramatically reduce available antenna options.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Thanks for all the info. I see you are in Cincy. Once I get all this sorted out I'd like to get together sometime and talk rigs! I'm up in a suburb of Dayton.
Anytime man! I'm actually north of Cincy so Dayton is just up the street.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I run a Yaesu FTM-100. Wanted a comparable small radio with 2m/70cm, APRS and detachable headunit. At that time I did not know that it will be discontinued and the FTM-300 would have been available. From what I have read here, the FTM-300 is a great radio. Now I would very likely pruchase the FTM-300. But I also like the FTM-100. Works perfectly for me. Comparable small and easy to operate for me.

In the end it's a kind of personal decision what you like best and what meets your requirements. Maybe write them down, so what do you want, what bands, power, size, aprs yes/no, etc., then look at a few setups here on the forum. You will find many examples! And then compare with your requirements!

And for further questions, there are many overlanders here who are also radio amateurs and happy to help!

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Okay so I guess I have a side bar question for everyone. Antennas! I off-road a lot in tight canopies. So a lot of brush can hit my antenna. Recommendations on what I should look into? I plan on putting my antenna on a tailgate mount.
Carry several of different heights. The gain will follow the height, and may be needed depending on terrain and location.
I have a Ram 1500 that I have my Yaesu 2800 and a Gmrs radio permanently mounted. As for antennas I have the standard long antennas that I use when I’m on the road traveling and need the range. When I get to the woods or in a group where range isn’t as important I switch to the little Midland MXTA 25.