First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Hello All,

I'm gearing up for my Technician's test here in the next few weeks but would like to start budgeting/planning for what Mobile Unit to put in my Tacoma. I would like the ability to use APRS and I'm willing to drop a chunk of change for a good unit. Buy once Cry once haha. I know a this is a subjective topic so I have to figure out what's best for me in my use case. But please throw your suggestions this way. Currently the Yaesu FTM-400DR was one of my top contenders if that gives you an idea of what I'm after.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello All,

I'm gearing up for my Technician's test here in the next few weeks but would like to start budgeting/planning for what Mobile Unit to put in my Tacoma. I would like the ability to use APRS and I'm willing to drop a chunk of change for a good unit. Buy once Cry once haha. I know a this is a subjective topic so I have to figure out what's best for me in my use case. But please throw your suggestions this way. Currently the Yaesu FTM-400DR was one of my top contenders if that gives you an idea of what I'm after.
The only problem with the FTM-400XDR is the inability to access the built in TNC for other packet radio uses… other than that it’s an excellent choice. Kenwood (TM-D710GA) also makes a great APRS dual band radio that has access to the TNC… it’s draw backs are price, and monochrome head unit… If I had to choose between the two I would take the Kenwood.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
The only problem with the FTM-400XDR is the inability to access the built in TNC for other packet radio uses… other than that it’s an excellent choice. Kenwood (TM-D710GA) also makes a great APRS dual band radio that has access to the TNC… it’s draw backs are price, and monochrome head unit… If I had to choose between the two I would take the Kenwood.
Thanks for the recommendation I will look into that unit. Price will likely influence me the most if I'm honest.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I've been super happy with my FTM-400XDR, I do use APRS but I haven't had a need to have access to the TNC so hasn't been an issue since I'm only doing APRS. That said, you CAN connect an external TNC to the FTM-400 if you want to do packet radio other than APRS, but if that's not something you think you'll do then the lack of access to the radio's TNC won't be an issue.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I've been super happy with my FTM-400XDR, I do use APRS but I haven't had a need to have access to the TNC so hasn't been an issue since I'm only doing APRS. That said, you CAN connect an external TNC to the FTM-400 if you want to do packet radio other than APRS, but if that's not something you think you'll do then the lack of access to the radio's TNC won't be an issue.
The cost difference between an external TNC combined with the FTM-400XDR compared to the TM-D710GA with the included TNC puts them both at the same cost without having extra gadgets laying around in your rig.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
The cost difference between an external TNC combined with the FTM-400XDR compared to the TM-D710GA with the included TNC puts them both at the same cost without having extra gadgets laying around in your rig.
Sure, but if the OP has no use for accessing the TNC then it's a non-issue to begin with. They never said they wanted to do anything other than APRS. Sure, having the ability is nice, but why buy a more expensive radio for a function that may never be used while also ending up with a non-touchscreen monochrome display? The focus should be on overall usability based on the OP's wants/needs. I wouldn't get stuck on the TNC difference as being a make or break thing unless the OP specifically says they want to play with packet radio outside of APRS, in which case I'm just saying they can still do that with the FTM-400 down the road if they want.

I have an old-school Kenwood TM-V7a running on my desk so I'm not a Yaesu snob either. :D The TM-D710GA is a great radio, just might be overkill here.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have 2 Kenwood TK-790’s, an Icom IC-7100 a Yaesu FT-2900 and a Yasue FTDX10…. So to me it’s about the radio that packs the biggest punch per dollar. I suggested the TNC because there is a lot one can do with the TNC, and as an Overlander we are about preparedness…. Other wise we wouldn’t even look into amateur radio. The ability to send and receive email and SMS messages for free is priceless… I could never go without a TNC… had I known of the Kenwood TM-D710GA before I bought my Yasue FT-2900 I would have purchased it alone and skipped out on the two Kenwood TK-790’s since all they do is operate two TNCs.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I appreciate both view points on this. I didn’t know about TNC to be honest and now that I know about it I can see the value. I will likely lean towards the kenwood now if my budget allows.

sgthusk

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1773 Steward Harbough Road, Williamsburg, Ohio 45176, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Huskey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W8JWH
I really like my Kenwood TM-D710GA. It may look out dated but everything is laid out for easy use. Buttons are easy to find when moving without really looking at them. Personally I have a hard time with touch screens while moving.

Can’t compare it to the FTM-400 but I have the FT3D handheld. I don’t like the way the APRS comes up on the small screen. The main information you see first is just the compass with the other units location and other position info. You then have to scroll down to see the text. Maybe its laid out that way because of issues with how the packet is received. But I’d like to see the message before the position info. Communication before position. And the 400 may have a bigger screen so you get all the data on it anyway.

I prefer the menu layout better on the Kenwood. I’m just assuming it’s close between the ft3d and ftm400.

But the Yeasus do C4FM digital and Wiresx. And that’s where they really shine.

Basic simple design (you might say dated) good dual band fm with outstanding APRS. Or does everything ok and digital very good.

Obviously you need both!

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I really like my Kenwood TM-D710GA. It may look out dated but everything is laid out for easy use. Buttons are easy to find when moving without really looking at them. Personally I have a hard time with touch screens while moving.

Can’t compare it to the FTM-400 but I have the FT3D handheld. I don’t like the way the APRS comes up on the small screen. The main information you see first is just the compass with the other units location and other position info. You then have to scroll down to see the text. Maybe its laid out that way because of issues with how the packet is received. But I’d like to see the message before the position info. Communication before position. And the 400 may have a bigger screen so you get all the data on it anyway.

I prefer the menu layout better on the Kenwood. I’m just assuming it’s close between the ft3d and ftm400.

But the Yeasus do C4FM digital and Wiresx. And that’s where they really shine.

Basic simple design (you might say dated) good dual band fm with outstanding APRS. Or does everything ok and digital very good.

Obviously you need both!
Hahah maybe eventually but I gotta get one first. Great info all around though. Thanks everyone so far. First things first is I need to finish studying. I’d say I’m about half way through the material for the test and should be good to go for my test by next weekend.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Me too, but I began my ham career at a time when friends didn’t let friends buy brand Y.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
@M Rose and @Sjo527 FWIW, I can send and receive emails and SMS messages directly on my FTM-400 via APRS. It's not as full-featured as doing it on a computer via TNC and packet radio, but APRS itself supports both via iGates as I've done both previously. Here's a video showing it being done and he also does mention the Kenwood if you want to use the TNC and a computer instead. All just depends on how much you want the radio to be able to do vs connecting external devices and such. Just want to make sure the new guy knows what each can and can't do or how well.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@M Rose and @Sjo527 FWIW, I can send and receive emails and SMS messages directly on my FTM-400 via APRS. It's not as full-featured as doing it on a computer via TNC and packet radio, but APRS itself supports both via iGates as I've done both previously. Here's a video showing it being done and he also does mention the Kenwood if you want to use the TNC and a computer instead. All just depends on how much you want the radio to be able to do vs connecting external devices and such. Just want to make sure the new guy knows what each can and can't do or how well.

Good information… and that was the purpose of suggesting the Kenwood.
I got thinking last night, another option to look at would be the new AnyTone AT-D578UVIII Plus. It’s a tri-band DMR mobile radio that does both digital and analogue APRS and the first BlueTooth sync to your car’s audio system. Jason @kc5hwb might have more information on this radio.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Good information… and that was the purpose of suggesting the Kenwood.
I got thinking last night, another option to look at would be the new AnyTone AT-D578UVIII Plus. It’s a tri-band DMR mobile radio that does both digital and analogue APRS and the first BlueTooth sync to your car’s audio system. Jason @kc5hwb might have more information on this radio.
I can second the AnyTone being a good option for a decent price. I don't have that radio but I do have the AT-D878UV Plus HT and it's a nice unit. The radio itself is solidly built and the CPS software for programming the radios is really good for being free so I would assume the AT-D578UVIII Plus would be of similar quality.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I went with the FTM400XDR because I like having the large display and touch screen for use in the Jeep. I have a different setup for packet so I don’t need access to the TNC on this radio. If that ever changes, I’ll just use the Bluetooth connection.

Both the Kenwood and the Yaesu are excellent radios. You can’t go wrong with either. My advice is to look at both in person and go with the one you like best.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
So as you all are bring more info in I think it's going to come down to screen size. I can safely say I probably will do everything from the radio itself 80-90% of the time. I'm a programmer by trade so I appreciate the TNC capabilities but a big screen for ease of use on the radio is probably going to make the most sense while I'm on the trail. That said it seems TNC can be done via the Yaseu with a little extra work (which I don't mind).

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Okay so I guess I have a side bar question for everyone. Antennas! I off-road a lot in tight canopies. So a lot of brush can hit my antenna. Recommendations on what I should look into? I plan on putting my antenna on a tailgate mount.

Reactions: Michael Golden

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Okay so I guess I have a side bar question for everyone. Antennas! I off-road a lot in tight canopies. So a lot of brush can hit my antenna. Recommendations on what I should look into? I plan on putting my antenna on a tailgate mount.
You've got a few options and they will have various compromises. First that comes to mind is the antenna from Signal Stuff. I've heard great things about their handheld antennas but the mobile antenna is a new product. Flexibility is no problem and the antenna gain is a good all-around antenna (higher gain antennas don't work well in hilly/mountainous terrain). Super-Elastic Signal Stalk – Signal Stuff

You could get an antenna with a spring base like this Comet which should also be a good all-around antenna - Comet Antennas SS-680SBNMO Comet Mobile VHF/UHF Vertical Antennas | DX Engineering

There are also these stealth antennas, but I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than short-distance comms, like a convoy or where everyone is within close proximity -
Personally, I run a Diamond NR770 dual-band antenna mounted to a Rago Fab bed mount. Between my shell and the RTT I do my best to avoid things that could damage those, so I don't have much concern about my antenna getting damaged. Can see my antenna setup in the pic below...

IMG_2659_DxO_cps (Large).jpg

And for the heck of it, here's the APRS route logged on our return trip from Michigan last week. :) Google Maps APRS

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Thanks a bunch! I should say I don't mind swapping antennas when I hit the trail. I have a RTT on my bedrack so it works out the same as your shell and RTT. And I do a lot of varying terrain so I have a feeling I'll need to swap anyways. With my GMRS I would swap between a whip style and stealth on the regular.

Most recent decent picture I have of my setup. You can see the stealth antenna on the driver side near hood and windshield.IMG_0694.jpeg

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Thanks a bunch! I should say I don't mind swapping antennas when I hit the trail. I have a RTT on my bedrack so it works out the same as your shell and RTT. And I do a lot of varying terrain so I have a feeling I'll need to swap anyways. With my GMRS I would swap between a whip style and stealth on the regular.

Most recent decent picture I have of my setup. You can see the stealth antenna on the driver side near hood and windshield.View attachment 203074
Nice!

In that case just make sure you have a good base and mount that will provide good antenna options, if I were to do it all over again I'd probably go with an NMO mount but my current setup as worked well enough that I haven't felt like messing with it (SO-239 mount).