First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
HI,
So i picked this radio as it was supposed to be idiot proof, and apparently that was false advertising.

I am trying to program it for the Overland bound channel/frequency and go through the motions but am unable to get the darn channel to show up so i can test it with my hand-held.

I followed this youtube video, i think to the letter but am still not seeing the channel in the memory…

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Or is there another page/ URL or video that would be better?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've got that same radio. Save yourself a lot of headache and get the 20 dollar cable and download the free CHIRP app. I'm not sure where you got the idea it's "idiot proof". It's a HAM radio with the menu layout of other chinese radios. Which is to say manually entering in information is an exercising in pressing a lot of buttons.

Reactions: Boort and M Rose

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I've got that same radio. Save yourself a lot of headache and get the 20 dollar cable and download the free CHIRP app. I'm not sure where you got the idea it's "idiot proof". It's a HAM radio with the menu layout of other chinese radios. Which is to say manually entering in information is an exercising in pressing a lot of buttons.
Hi Downs and thank you for the info.

I did find out it was idiot proof, if the idiot just followed the directions without thinking to much about why it works that way and ignoring what seemed improbable to work…

Was able to program it the old school way ( meaning pushing the buttons ).

I wanted to learn how to do it in case I am out and the thing resets itself, or I need to join a different channel and do not have a computer with me.

We’re fully functional and able to transmit and receive ! Whoohoo!

Reactions: TheBison and Downs

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I agree with your wanting the ability to add stuff on the fly, but I don't even touch radio programming without a cable unless I want my adult beverages to be medicinal instead of social. Glad it worked out!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi Downs and thank you for the info.

I did find out it was idiot proof, if the idiot just followed the directions without thinking to much about why it works that way and ignoring what seemed improbable to work…

Was able to program it the old school way ( meaning pushing the buttons ).

I wanted to learn how to do it in case I am out and the thing resets itself, or I need to join a different channel and do not have a computer with me.

We’re fully functional and able to transmit and receive ! Whoohoo!
I agree with your wanting the ability to add stuff on the fly, but I don't even touch radio programming without a cable unless I want my adult beverages to be medicinal instead of social. Glad it worked out!
I too don’t do any programming without PC interface. There is a new Bluetooth Dongle you can add to the Baofeng Radios and program with an app from your smart device. I have not tried it yet, it the reviews look promising.

TIDRADIO Ham Radio Wireless Programmer Adapter Phone APP Programming for Baofeng uv-5r No Driver Issues Adapt to Multiple Models 2 Way Radio uv-5r Series Instead of Program Cable 1 Pack