Guadalupe Mountains National Park Texas (Looking for advice)

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Hey all! Heading to Guadalupe Mountains National Park in West Texas tomorrow morning. Hoping someone who has been out that way will catch this thread.

Leaving from Austin, looking for a good place to pop the RTT on the way there, also looking for a fun place to wheel in the area. Please do let me know if anyone has been out that way.

Eric aka Jeepsies

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Did you do this trip, any suggestions for campsites?
Not the OP but we have stayed in the area several times.

There are two developed campgrounds in GUMO - Pine Spring and Dog Canyon. The first is pretty much a parking lot near the Park's Visitor Center and by far the more heavily used. At first glance, Dog Canyon doesn't look like too much either - the half dozen or so trailer/vehicle campsites are loosely defined around a horse corral but there are definite positives. You'll most likely have the place to yourself with maybe a couple of tent campers some distance away. Its in a box canyon with the entrance running just in front of the on-site ranger's home (think security). Can't guarantee this but I've always been able to get good recommendations for nearby local trails in adjoining Lincoln National Forest from anyone on staff there. No showers but flush johns which have been spotless every time we've stayed. A couple of great hiking trails nearby. Its remote, forty five minutes to an hour from Carlsbad but a pretty drive - watch out for wildlife and cattle in the road. McKittrick Cabin is a good half day hike - continue on to the Grotto. Guadalupe Peak is the highest point in Texas if you're in reasonably good shape. Sitting Bull Falls isn't too far off the road leading into Dog Canyon and worth the time.

If you haven't visited Carlsbad Caverns, you should do so and I'd recommend taking the extra cost Lower Cave Tour. Lots of dispersed camping opportunities in Lincoln NF. Brantley Lake State Park is a good reasonably priced option if you have need for a hot shower. Have fun, its a beautiful area.

Edit: If you look at a map, Pine Springs and Dog Canyon appear to be fairly close to each other but there are no roads connecting the two and they're a couple of hours distant.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Not the OP but we have stayed in the area several times.

There are two developed campgrounds in GUMO - Pine Spring and Dog Canyon. The first is pretty much a parking lot near the Park's Visitor Center and by far the more heavily used. At first glance, Dog Canyon doesn't look like too much either - the half dozen or so trailer/vehicle campsites are loosely defined around a horse corral but there are definite positives. You'll most likely have the place to yourself with maybe a couple of tent campers some distance away. Its in a box canyon with the entrance running just in front of the on-site ranger's home (think security). Can't guarantee this but I've always been able to get good recommendations for nearby local trails in adjoining Lincoln National Forest from anyone on staff there. No showers but flush johns which have been spotless every time we've stayed. A couple of great hiking trails nearby. Its remote, forty five minutes to an hour from Carlsbad but a pretty drive - watch out for wildlife and cattle in the road. McKittrick Cabin is a good half day hike - continue on to the Grotto. Guadalupe Peak is the highest point in Texas if you're in reasonably good shape. Sitting Bull Falls isn't too far off the road leading into Dog Canyon and worth the time.

If you haven't visited Carlsbad Caverns, you should do so and I'd recommend taking the extra cost Lower Cave Tour. Lots of dispersed camping opportunities in Lincoln NF. Brantley Lake State Park is a good reasonably priced option if you have need for a hot shower. Have fun, its a beautiful area.

Edit: If you look at a map, Pine Springs and Dog Canyon appear to be fairly close to each other but there are no roads connecting the two and they're a couple of hours distant.

Thanks for the detailed info. With the caverns now closed, I'll be heading in a different direction. But these and other tips posted here will still be put to good use at a later date.