Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
Thanks for posting. I have something similar, but all one unit. Mine doesn't work too well, however...the container that holds the coffee would eventually clog and only about half the water would seep through. I like this one...

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
So, I like one really big cup in the morning. Is there a limit on the amount of grounds one can put in the unit? They mentioned six ounces of coffee in two minutes. Who drinks six oz. of coffee? Love my pour over screen but is a little bulky and somewhat hard to clean...uses too much water. I have used the cloth socks thingy that @Road (you still alive man?) recommends but the flavor is slightly off to me. If I sound like a coffee snob it's because I discovered pour over and I ain't going back!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Still love my Aero Press for a quick morning cuppa.
Have one, never tried it, just threw it into truck for this weekend's adventure. Thanks for the reminder! Ordered the smaller camping model but they sent me the larger/regular model so it has sat. Time to play coffee chemist! ;)

Reactions: shansonpac

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

Have one, never tried it, just threw it into truck for this weekend's adventure. Thanks for the reminder! Ordered the smaller camping model but they sent me the larger/regular model so it has sat. Time to play coffee chemist! ;)
Makes a great cup, just as fast as you can boil water.

Reactions: Ubiety

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thanks for posting, always interested in what is available for the ol' cup of Joe.
My issue is I dislike dealing with grounds... so a filter and a folding holder is the way I roll..
Prices have gone up, surprise! They are reusable and probably get better with age. Just a shade off in flavor compared to my metal screen pour-over but very camp friendly as they are easy to clean. Dump the grinds let dry and shake out the rest. Or, rinse as you see fit.

There are others to chose from now I see. I recommend them and I will use them again when space becomes a premium.

Reactions: Advtres

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
So, I like one really big cup in the morning. Is there a limit on the amount of grounds one can put in the unit? They mentioned six ounces of coffee in two minutes. Who drinks six oz. of coffee? Love my pour over screen but is a little bulky and somewhat hard to clean...uses too much water. I have used the cloth socks thingy that @Road (you still alive man?) recommends but the flavor is slightly off to me. If I sound like a coffee snob it's because I discovered pour over and I ain't going back!
Six ounces gets me primed for the full size mug.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

In my quest for the perfect camping cuppa, I purchased one of the GSI brewers a couple years ago. While it makes a decent cup I found the clean up used too much valuable clean water. I got an Aero Press, filters were costly, so I bought a stainless filter, again, clean up was an issue. Same with the gold filter pour overs besides not having a fine enough mesh. I've gone through about 8 different varying methods, except a French press and a percolator.
For clean up nothing beats the paper pour over in a collapsible drip; Collapsible JavaDrip- Blue I now own 2.

My current way to make coffee;

Prep dripper, grind beans, boil water
Add honey to bottom of mug
When beans are ground pour into........
separate mug, I use a 750ml,
When water boils add to ground beans
Time for 4 Min(learned from Aeropress) adjust to your taste.
After 4 min pour into filter and let drip
Done dripping? Stir and drink!
Toss the coffee engorged filter in the garbage and wipe the brewing mug out with paper towel.

Reactions: Advtres

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
In my quest for the perfect camping cuppa, I purchased one of the GSI brewers a couple years ago. While it makes a decent cup I found the clean up used too much valuable clean water. I got an Aero Press, filters were costly, so I bought a stainless filter, again, clean up was an issue. Same with the gold filter pour overs besides not having a fine enough mesh. I've gone through about 8 different varying methods, except a French press and a percolator.
For clean up nothing beats the paper pour over in a collapsible drip; Collapsible JavaDrip- Blue I now own 2.

My current way to make coffee;

Prep dripper, grind beans, boil water
Add honey to bottom of mug
When beans are ground pour into........
separate mug, I use a 750ml,
When water boils add to ground beans
Time for 4 Min(learned from Aeropress) adjust to your taste.
After 4 min pour into filter and let drip
Done dripping? Stir and drink!
Toss the coffee engorged filter in the garbage and wipe the brewing mug out with paper towel.
Dang, I'd call that modified cowboy coffee! I probably use too many beans cause I like it skrong but I only pour over with 195 degree filtered water from a special spring in the Pyrenees (LOL, JK.) No soaking the grounds in boiling water before filtering through drip. Well, that's what a press does isn't it? Presses seem to force a lot of fines and makes it cloudy but not terrible.

I think my first camping/coffee attempts were with a percolator. I have at least a dozen different setups and they all work. One of the best backpacking coffee solutions is the Folgers bag that soaks in hot water like a tea bag. Any coffee is better than no coffee if you're an addict. Only common method I haven't used camping is the K-cups. I leave that down at the cabin because it's fast and easy cleanup so I can get to work on my projects. But, I have decided my Columbian ground beans in gold plated cone screen is the best. I have a hard time limiting myself to one big cup in the mornings.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Makes a great cup, just as fast as you can boil water.
LOVE the Aero Press! Super easy to use and clean and makes a tastier cup than the french press I had been using (compared this weekend). Plus I can can make one cup at a time. It will find a permanent place in the camping gear. Thanks for your post that got me to finally try it!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
LOVE the Aero Press! Super easy to use and clean and makes a tastier cup than the french press I had been using (compared this weekend). Plus I can can make one cup at a time. It will find a permanent place in the camping gear. Thanks for your post that got me to finally try it!
The Areo Press is a great piece of kit… We have been looking at one for several years and will be picking one up on the REI Labor Day Sale along with a GSI coffee grinder… I miss real coffee.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've had my Aero Press for.....uh..a long time. No matter what else I try, I keep going back to it.

Reactions: Ubiety

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I had the Aeropress while i was in Afghanistan for 3 years. Left it there so others cpuld enjoy it after I left. I think its time for another to keep in the rig so I always have coffee.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
I typically use the GSI Ultralite Java Drip with a paper filter. My wife and I each have one for backpacking and even though we have 2 sizes of GSI French presses and the French Press kit for the Jet Boils, it just takes up the least space and is the easiest cleanup for us. If we are cooking for a larger group, we will take a French Press Option.

Ultralight Java Drip

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I didnt want to post this until I had actually used it in the field a few times.

Tired of not having fresh ground beans, do you arms ache after 15 minutes of micro rotations trying to grind with a hand grinder…
This might be your epiphany - Battery operated bean smasher - link here on Amazon

Keeps a good charge, handles being knocked about in the rig and packs down relatively small.

Your welcome !

CED26C57-7101-44A7-BE5C-EE18419A20F2.jpeg

Attachments

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
You have just solved a missing piece of my puzzle. May not use it for campibg but definitely for "emergency" preparedness. Thanks!
I didnt want to post this until I had actually used it in the field a few times.

Tired of not having fresh ground beans, do you arms ache after 15 minutes of micro rotations trying to grind with a hand grinder…
This might be your epiphany - Battery operated bean smasher - link here on Amazon

Keeps a good charge, handles being knocked about in the rig and packs down relatively small.

Your welcome !

View attachment 243046