Group Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Colorado Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Fort Collins, Colorado
Member #

I'm in the initial stages of planning an overlanding trip for the summer of 2017. It's not going to be too crazy, but will probably be in the 4-5 days range with a few other rigs with the possibility of 8 or so boys. We've done annual trips with the same group for the past 8 years, but are wanting to extend the trip and area we explore. Generally, we've picked one backcountry campsite and done day trips from there. This year, I want to head back on forestry roads and offshoots to really map out a few of our favorite areas in northern Colorado. I estimate we'll be pushing 70-80 miles on dirt if we can swing it time wise.
Do you have any thoughts on making group trips more enjoyable and easier from a logistics standpoint? Are meals easier to plan together or to take care of our own? Do you spend much time beforehand organizing gear so we don't end up hauling a bunch of duplicates? Do you have a general idea on the map of where you'd like to stay the night! Like on GoogleEarth? As I said, we've done camping trips in the past and are fairly proficient there, but for shorter trips. We also don't have a ton of the fancy set ups on our rigs. We'll be using floor tents, ice chests, and 2 burner gas stoves. I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations you might have.

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I'm in the initial stages of planning an overlanding trip for the summer of 2017. It's not going to be too crazy, but will probably be in the 4-5 days range with a few other rigs with the possibility of 8 or so boys. We've done annual trips with the same group for the past 8 years, but are wanting to extend the trip and area we explore. Generally, we've picked one backcountry campsite and done day trips from there. This year, I want to head back on forestry roads and offshoots to really map out a few of our favorite areas in northern Colorado. I estimate we'll be pushing 70-80 miles on dirt if we can swing it time wise.
Do you have any thoughts on making group trips more enjoyable and easier from a logistics standpoint? Are meals easier to plan together or to take care of our own? Do you spend much time beforehand organizing gear so we don't end up hauling a bunch of duplicates? Do you have a general idea on the map of where you'd like to stay the night! Like on GoogleEarth? As I said, we've done camping trips in the past and are fairly proficient there, but for shorter trips. We also don't have a ton of the fancy set ups on our rigs. We'll be using floor tents, ice chests, and 2 burner gas stoves. I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations you might have.
While I'm by no means hugely experienced, from what little I do know I can say ever person has their own preferences.

Because I realize that's no helpful at all, I'll give just a few ideas. For camping locations, look Into if the area you are going through permits free/wild camping or if you need to stay in designated camp sights. Some people like to set exact places to camp every night, others like to just drive till they feel like stopping and they find somewhere nice to camp.

On the food front perhaps a combination of group food and personal food? As in breakfast is a group meal (eggs and toast or whatever you fancy) but lunch is up to the individuals, and then another group dinner? The meals probably don't need to be insanely planned, bur a quick list of what you want for dinner each day could be useful.

For the gear aspect, while fancy gear is great, it is by no means required to get out there and explore. Ground tents have become very very underrated recently, they are still perfectly fine for camping (especially for that many, ground tents usually = bigger). For the cooler, just pack smart and you'll be just fine. Cool all your food before you put it in to the cooler, and let the cooler sit with ice in it the day you leave, and then when you leave dump out the old ice and put in new ice. Using something like water bottles or milk jugs that are frozen helps keep the cooler dry, and gives nice cool drinking water later!

While some gear doesn't need to be duplicated (fire grate, and what not) some stuff should probably be truck/person specific (think tire plug kit, flashlights, etc)

Hopefully that makes sense!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Personally for a group run that includes new people or those who may not be close friends I strongly suggest pre-runing the trail. When you have a lot of personalities that get frustrated for different reasons it can really cause issues. If everyone is on the same page and roughly the same level its a lot easier to just explore and deal with challenges that may cause a re-route or a turn around. Any trip that I have planned everyone was responsible for 100% of what they were going to consume and if there was a plan for special meals that were shared great.

Seems to me that almost every time someone brings too much coffee, beer, meat, recovery gear and everyone shares upon their own level of comfort.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Dry ice can be very helpful for long trips. You can even dedicate a cooler or two to serve as freezers, w/ dry ice and block ice/water jugs/bagged ice, which can then be transferred to the other coolers as needed. I like to do basic meal planning as well, and assign everyone at least one meal. We often do breakfast and lunch individually, and then dinner is handled by a different person every night.

Definitely discuss the route, potential sites, and scheduling ahead of time. Doesn't have to be rigid or strict, but it's nice if everyone understands that driving will start no later than 10am each day, for example. Helps to avoid arguments...

Reactions: Rocky

No Known Boundaries

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Western US
Member #

Do you have any thoughts on making group trips more enjoyable and easier from a logistics standpoint?
Yes, indeed. Delegation is your greatest ally.

Are meals easier to plan together or to take care of our own?
I think they're easier to plan together. If one or even two people dedicate themselves to serving as a galley, it makes everything exponentially faster. You can marinate/season/prep all the food at once, then throw it all on a grill or pan at once. This is considerably faster than everyone taking turns on the cookware and not getting to eat at the same time, as well as...

Do you spend much time beforehand organizing gear so we don't end up hauling a bunch of duplicates?
...not having 6 rigs all carrying stoves and grills. By splitting the load, one person can serve as a pack mule for various gear, firewood, etc. I build individual gear lists and a team gear list and delegate accordingly. Individual gear lists have both a required and a recommended column, so that everyone is required to be hydrated, fed, warm, dry, and able to apply basic first aid. Recommended gear just makes things easier for everyone, but isn't a necessity (especially when funds are tight). Team gear is recovery-oriented for the most part.

Do you have a general idea on the map of where you'd like to stay the night! Like on GoogleEarth?
We tend to either find 4x4 trails that we want to run and build trips around them in order, or choose areas we haven't been to, then build from there. We'll pick an end point and decide how best to get from A to B to C to D accordingly.

As I said, we've done camping trips in the past and are fairly proficient there, but for shorter trips. We also don't have a ton of the fancy set ups on our rigs. We'll be using floor tents, ice chests, and 2 burner gas stoves. I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations you might have.
Ground tents and chain store coolers are still my jam, with hammocking preferred in dry/low-wind weather. Don't need any of the Gucci gear to enjoy the outdoors.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

What we do when we organise our own trips as a group:
We look at the area we are travelling to and mark out any locations of interest (Waterfalls / Specific places / monuments ect) - sometimes a member of the group have been in that area before and can suggest some nice sights to see ect,
We also each take enough food provisions for the people in each vehicle i.e it is down to that individual to ensure they have enough for themselves (or their family) - also if its in an area where there is a nice local place to eat then we make a quick trip over (or to a store if someone happens to forget something..)
Even tho we travel in a group - we are also each responsible for ourselves individually - i.e ensuring you are "sufficient"- this then takes alot of stress off the Exped leader but it will be considered once out there

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Even if the people are of different experience you can bank on one thing... everyone is different.

Wouldn't hurt to nominate a trail boss. Make it the best candidate for that area... that does not always mean the most experienced overall.

If there is a very large group you could go in packs spread out a bit and then set up camp at ____ destination...

Hard to say that there is really a wrong way to do it... as long as you are there exploring safely respectfully and leagally... you got it figured out already man...

Personally, I just can't wipe the smile off my face when the yota hits the dirt, can't imagine being angry on a trail.