Enthusiast I

Charlottesville, VA, USA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Lea
Member #

Hi, All.

Greetings from a newbie in Virginia. I grew up in Tennessee, spending my adolescence there and in western North Carolina enjoying the outdoors--backpacking, paddling, general high-adventure activities. I now have a young and growing family, and I'm trying to plan for the type of travel and experiences that my parents were fortunate enough to share with me. Adventure travel over land seems like the best way to combine family time, outdoor experience, and the opportunity to explore this beautiful earth and its history.

We're based in Virgina (for now and for a while, I hope), but we're formally from Georgia, Tennessee, and the Netherlands (would love to take the "rig" over to Europe at some point). We have a 5th gen. Toyota 4Runner and almost no experience with overlanding. We're in it for the "long-game"--we're not in a rush, we're eager to learn, and we're ready to get out there.

It's nice to e-meet everyone, and I hope to see you around.

Kind regards.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Welcome to OB, I grew up in Virginia, lived in Eastern NC for 5 years, and my brother is a Park Ranger in GA at the moment but was up in your area a lot during his tenure. About an hour North of you is an excellent hike up Old Rag Mtn. Get there as early as possible and watch the sunrise, there is a very small "scramble" but kids just need a little boost to reach. Then, up that same way look up Peters Mill Run. It's a Jeep badge of Honor trail, runs about 12 miles down an old mining trail. Its easy to do and its the perfect trail for shakedowns. It takes a couple hours for an easy drive, with a nice open gravel parking lot in the middle for lunch breaks.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Hello and welcome! It’s nice to see a fellow Mid-Atlantic overlander join the forums.
As @Ethan N stated, Old Rag Mountain is a local favorite. If you plan to do the hike, please note that a day use ticket is now required from March 1-November 30. Wolf Gap Campground (GWNF) is a nice spot to camp for a hike-with-a-view twofer: The trails for both Tibbet Knob and Big Schloss are right on your doorstep. For interesting history, fun hikes and great scenery, visit Harper’s Ferry. You’re in a great location to explore some beautiful country!

Grlea

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Charlottesville, VA, USA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Lea
Member #

Welcome to OB, I grew up in Virginia, lived in Eastern NC for 5 years, and my brother is a Park Ranger in GA at the moment but was up in your area a lot during his tenure. About an hour North of you is an excellent hike up Old Rag Mtn. Get there as early as possible and watch the sunrise, there is a very small "scramble" but kids just need a little boost to reach. Then, up that same way look up Peters Mill Run. It's a Jeep badge of Honor trail, runs about 12 miles down an old mining trail. Its easy to do and its the perfect trail for shakedowns. It takes a couple hours for an easy drive, with a nice open gravel parking lot in the middle for lunch breaks.
Ethan, thanks very much for the welcome. And I really appreciate the suggestions! I look forward to researching those spots and planning the excursions. Sincere thanks.

Reactions: Ethan N

Grlea

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Charlottesville, VA, USA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Lea
Member #

Hello and welcome! It’s nice to see a fellow Mid-Atlantic overlander join the forums.
As @Ethan N stated, Old Rag Mountain is a local favorite. If you plan to do the hike, please note that a day use ticket is now required from March 1-November 30. Wolf Gap Campground (GWNF) is a nice spot to camp for a hike-with-a-view twofer: The trails for both Tibbet Knob and Big Schloss are right on your doorstep. For interesting history, fun hikes and great scenery, visit Harper’s Ferry. You’re in a great location to explore some beautiful country!
ZombieCat! Great name. Yeah, I appreciate you and Ethan--this is really great to get some direction in where to go. It sounds like Old Rag Mountain is must, and I'm very interested in that campground. I'm looking forward to researching all of this!

Reactions: Ethan N

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I'll be passing through that way first weekend in May. I would set a couple hours aside if you would like to drive Peter's Mill Run. Possibly that Friday early afternoon? We can talk about that later if interested.

Reactions: Grlea

Grlea

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Charlottesville, VA, USA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Lea
Member #

I'll be passing through that way first weekend in May. I would set a couple hours aside if you would like to drive Peter's Mill Run. Possibly that Friday early afternoon? We can talk about that later if interested.
That's a kind offer--I'll have to take a look at the work schedule. In the meantime, is that a trail I could do in a completely stock 4Runner (TRD Off-Road)?

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
That's a kind offer--I'll have to take a look at the work schedule. In the meantime, is that a trail I could do in a completely stock 4Runner (TRD Off-Road)?
Yeah, the first time I ever did that trail I was in a bone stock Jeep Gladiator. Didn't air the tires down at all and kept it in 2wd the whole way. Very easy, still fun.

sappy96

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

King George, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Kaliniowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKU477
Service Branch
USAF
Welcome, you aren't far from Big Levels, which opens next month. Be prepared for pinstripes on most VA trails.