• HTML tutorial

Bruce_67ea44

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Anderson
Greetings! I'm a newb. Have been a camper with Scouts for 10+ years. Have now retired from the Troop and retired from work. Looking to do more camping. I don't have a "rig"...just an old stock Honda Pilot that we use when camping...and that camping has generally been at Maryland State Park campgrounds.
Q: Anyone have recommendations for places to camp in the MD, VA, PA region, aside from the state parks?
Q: Are there "overland" camping opportunities in the region?

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Greetings! I'm a newb. Have been a camper with Scouts for 10+ years. Have now retired from the Troop and retired from work. Looking to do more camping. I don't have a "rig"...just an old stock Honda Pilot that we use when camping...and that camping has generally been at Maryland State Park campgrounds.
Q: Anyone have recommendations for places to camp in the MD, VA, PA region, aside from the state parks?
Q: Are there "overland" camping opportunities in the region?
welcome, bruce!

the honda pilot is a pretty good vehicle. long story made short, i was doing some repair work at a gas pipeline facility after Ida hit and a friend of mine came to help. i have a lifted tundra and was driving on the muddy levies and giving the truck a pretty good workout and he was following behind me in his pilot and never missed a beat. he kept it loaded with tools and drove it like a tank and as far as i know...hes still abusing it today.

i was stationed at groton, ct years back and did some time in the poconos. that was in the 80s, so a lot has changed as far as free camping and stuff, but even if you have to use a pay campground, the poconos are pretty good for that area. virginia has george washington and jefferson NF and if i remember right, there was some decent boondocking there. you can check out several sites online...this one is pretty good

Bruce_67ea44

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Anderson
welcome, bruce!

the honda pilot is a pretty good vehicle. long story made short, i was doing some repair work at a gas pipeline facility after Ida hit and a friend of mine came to help. i have a lifted tundra and was driving on the muddy levies and giving the truck a pretty good workout and he was following behind me in his pilot and never missed a beat. he kept it loaded with tools and drove it like a tank and as far as i know...hes still abusing it today.

i was stationed at groton, ct years back and did some time in the poconos. that was in the 80s, so a lot has changed as far as free camping and stuff, but even if you have to use a pay campground, the poconos are pretty good for that area. virginia has george washington and jefferson NF and if i remember right, there was some decent boondocking there. you can check out several sites online...this one is pretty good

Thanks Grub!

Good to know that the Pilot can handle some stuff! Will check out Poconos (have family not to far from that area) as well as places in VA.

Bruce

BullNV

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Dayton, NV, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Roach
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Welcome aboard Bruce. Your vehicle is very capable. You’ll enjoy the forums, maps and resources here. I know I have. Happy exploring.

Bruce_67ea44

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Anderson
Thanks James! Looking forward to getting out there more! Will definitely be exploring the tools, tips, and whatever else I can find in the forums while waiting to get camping again!

Unfortunately, I believe I'll need to wait a bit...my wife isn't as keen on cold weather camping as I am. :sunglasses:

Kevin in Trees

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Farmington, NY, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Holtz
Member #

Hi Bruce, welcome aboard! I'll double down on positives for the small SUVs. I have a 2000 Chevy Tracker for use on my own property and it impresses everyone that comes out for a buggy ride.

It sounds like you're looking for non-campground/dispersed campsites. There is a lot of territory in PA between Pittsburgh and Philly! The small state parks and sate forest lands will sometimes also have some dispersed sites out on the state forest roads. We've stayed in some small state parks (in the campground) and then scouted the forest roads and dispersed sites from there. I was passing through Virginia a few weeks ago and jumped off the highway for a bit in the Shenandoah valley. Seemed like some good opportunities on the forest road networks around there. You might not be crawling up 12" rock ledges with the Pilot (I'm not either) but you'll find lots of easy going and scenic gravel roads. Invest in some good tires, the ability to air down and back up, some mapping software/maps and you'll find options in reach.

Bruce_67ea44

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Anderson
Thanks Kevin! Will be sure to check out areas in PA and VA once the weather warms a bit.

BTW: Not sure how much longer we're going to have the Pilot. It's been my son's primary vehicle for the past several years. We'll likely be gifting him the Pilot once he finishes college. Which means, there's an opportunity for a new (well, more likely, new to ME) vehicle! :sunglasses:

Kevin in Trees

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Farmington, NY, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Holtz
Member #

Thanks Kevin! Will be sure to check out areas in PA and VA once the weather warms a bit.

BTW: Not sure how much longer we're going to have the Pilot. It's been my son's primary vehicle for the past several years. We'll likely be gifting him the Pilot once he finishes college. Which means, there's an opportunity for a new (well, more likely, new to ME) vehicle! :sunglasses:
Sweet opportunity to make a change! I travel in an f150 but have always wanted a Tacoma. With my son turning 16 next year I've been eyeing the market on used tacomas:)