Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Just watched the Jeep Wrangler 4xe and Grand Wagoneer unveilings.

The Wrangler hybrid should be OK as long as you carry extra fuel offroad (most do anyway). I'm interested in seeing how some of these hybrids and electrics do offroad and what thier range can be.

The Grand Wagoneer was the biggest letdown since Chevy's new Blazer. I mean, the Blazer is still the worst revival of a Marquee by a long shot. But I just found the design of the new Grand Wagoneer completely devoid of anything that gets my blood pumping. Completely uninspiring. Does not make me want to pack it full of gear or people and go to the mountains or the beach.

Granted, the old one was very comfortable for it's time, but it was based off of a beast and even though it was comfortable, there was an edge to it. This one is based off of the new Ram pickup, but they somehow softened it too much.

Anyone else?

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Its certainly doesnt seem like anything the off road crowd would be interested in. Im just wondering how the Jeep name plate will fair in the land of "status SUVs", most people willing to spend 100K on a car arent doing it so much for practical reasons as for status and rich and lavish arent the first things that come to my mind when I hear the name Jeep.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Agree. Big let down on the design. More uninspired hodge podge of boring. Chrysler and whoever owns them today seem devoid of design ideas the last several years. Their answer to the raptor is basically stuffing a hellcat motor in a RAM ( yes i realize theres more than just that) Their answer to a Bronco is a hellcat motor in the Rubicon.... the corporate parents are killing that company.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

In fairness, the Jeep crowd has been asking for a v8 version of the Rubicon for years now. And the Hellcat in the Ram, well, speed in a truck is just not my cup of tea, but its someone's.

This Grand Wagoneer looks as inspired as a watered down, tech's up version of a 2011 Tahoe. And I like the Tahoe. They had an opportunity to go retro with the design and chose modern. That's ok, but they also blew the modern design. Simple looking junk

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Boring station wagon. No different than the Expedition, Tahoe, or Suburban.

Good luck, but I don't recall ''fat suburban Karen mom, two brats, and a soy boy daddy'' to be a fashionable looking statement anymore.

Reactions: haaken675

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I had to take a look. That Wagoneer looks terrible and nothing like the old ones. Boring is an understatement. I liked those older, wood paneled Wagoneers with sharp edges. Had always wanted one when I graduated from college, but was always too broke.

Reactions: 19mystic96

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I don't think it will have much of a market for anybody whos looking to spend $100k on an SUV.

$100k for a jeep is crazy IMO
i 100% agree with you but i thought an $80k pickup truck was nuts. Now the average price for a normal pick up middle of the road is like $40k.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

A Chevy Custom Trail Boss with almost nothing in it is going for $42k msrp. High Country is starting in the 60's. The new Tahoe and Yukon start in the 50's but climb to 70 and up to 80 for the Denali.

And every one of them is more inspiring than this Grand Wagoneer

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Honestly if you look at the front end of a 2013 RAM and the front of the 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, I always felt that RAM had appropriated and modernized some of the Grand Wagoneer styling and grill/ light angles there. They should have gone with that kind of look at the front for this. It would have been modern but kept that power bulge along the center of the hood. What an epic fail.

And I am SO tired of all Jeeps having 7 slots for the front grill. That is such a made-up characteristic. Hell, the 1984 unibody Cherokee had something like 9. The original SJ Wagoneer had even more than that. The only one that had 7 was the CJ/ Wrangler.

Talking of all the chrome bling, they might have made the B and C pillars chrome.

And that section over the rear wheel that in the old ones, runs straight back, they could have kept that styling cue as well, all while making the SUV perfectly modern.

I'm not a big fan of video screens in trucks but if that's the way of the future, so be it. The only complaint I have about the interior is that I prefer buttons and knobs (quiet from the peanut gallery!) And I wish they had gone with a nice blue or green or wine colored exterior with a nice medium tan interior. Very classy and I'm tired of all this black, white and grey.

Rant over.

Reactions: Mekcanix

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I guess I just don’t “get” the interest in all-electric and off roading. Sounds like a big dud to me. Very little range and if you run out of juice you gotta call a tow truck.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well, if Wrangler drivers bring gas tanks with them, why wont electric Jeeps be able to bring extra jump packs?

Besides, this 4xe Wrangler will be hybrid, and extra gas tanks will still be a help.

Reactions: DevilDodge

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'll add in my "meh".
What really sucks is, if you understand Chrysler electronics, you will walk away fast. I only hope they finally got over their issues in that department if their asking 100k for it.
BTW..who owns them now? Where does that company stand in the "most repairs in the first year of ownership" list?