GPS/Tablet

• HTML tutorial

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I've been using my IPad with MyTopo Maps. Works great online or I can switch to off grid maps. Easy to set waypoints and change layers with a single swipe. Trimble Outdoors provides the app.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
What is the best platform (GPS) for Trail Navigation? A Few weeks ago we were on the Trans Wisconsin Trail and there were a lot of turns. Mostly because it's paved, dirt and farm roads. A good GPS Navigation system would have helped a lot. I'd like to know what is working for you? What you like about your system? and What you don't like?

[EDIT] This post moved here from another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aussie571

Local Expert, Australia NSW

Builder II

Hillvue NSW, Australia
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Altona
Member #

I have the Hema Explorer app and Wikicamps for Android ...I run them on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10 inch

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have the Hema Explorer app and Wikicamps for Android ...I run them on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10 inch
I’m pretty sure Hema has abandoned the Android version and has not updated the iOS version in a long time. There is a discussion of this on the Expedition Portal forums.

As for the “best” platform it is kinda of like what is the “best” overland vehicle. My preferred setup is a 2011 FJ Cruiser, iPad Air and Gaia GPS along with some backup apps like Maps.me, Pocket Earth, and Ultimate Campground.

What’s best for anyone is what works for them. Regardless of anyone’s reviews since there are strong opinions on vehicle type and platform like Apple vs Android.

Hema gets recognition because of Xpedition Overland but has not served North America well in terms of support.

Search for Gaia GPS, Backcountry Navigator, Hema, etc and there are lots of related posts.

Reactions: dump

Aussie571

Builder II

Hillvue NSW, Australia
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Altona
Member #

I’m pretty sure Hema has abandoned the Android version and has not updated the iOS version in a long time. There is a discussion of this on the Expedition Portal forums.

As for the “best” platform it is kinda of like what is the “best” overland vehicle. My preferred setup is a 2011 FJ Cruiser, iPad Air and Gaia GPS along with some backup apps like Maps.me, Pocket Earth, and Ultimate Campground.

What’s best for anyone is what works for them. Regardless of anyone’s reviews since there are strong opinions on vehicle type and platform like Apple vs Android.

Hema gets recognition because of Xpedition Overland but has not served North America well in terms of support.

Search for Gaia GPS, Backcountry Navigator, Hema, etc and there are lots of related posts.
Hi! I'm in Australia and Hema is alive and well here...my current version of Hema Explorer app is 3.0...there haven't been many updates since it's inception and as they drive and verify every track/trail it takes some time...from memory a team was in the USA last year so maybe they doing map updates.

I also use OziExplorer on my old 7 inch Galaxy Tab 3 but my maps on that are out dated as we have to pay big bucks for our topos...where as I think yours are free to use.

Four Leaf Overlanding

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

If I understand this right inorder to have gps on your tablet it most have cellular. So this may be a stupid question but do you need a cellular signal for the gps to work. Obviously my concern would be loosing gps if I also loose cell service. Also, does the tablet have to be cellular capable or activated.

Thanks

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
My iPad does not have cellular. I run WiFi through a hot spot from my iPhone. I also run a bluetooth SkyPro GPS Receiver Unit (XGPS160) through the pad for sat signals when off cell grid. But your pad or tablet must have maps downloaded onto the unit to have access to the maps when off line. I run Gaia and download the areas I know I need. Has worked great.

Otter155

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
N
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ3EP
BLUF: Running Gaia on an older Android Tablet.
After reading through quite a few threads here, and wanting to get ready for some summer adventures I loaded Gaia GPS onto my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) (SGH-I497). I took a gamble because this tablet is only running Android 4.1.2 (other Tab 2 tablets have ROMs you can update to Android 6.0 or 7.0; unfortunately my specific tablet has no custom ROM). I downloaded a map this morning and tracked my route to work. I have to say I was really pleased with the results of not only the software (Gaia) but also the tablet.

I have a newer tablet running Android 7.0 but for now I'm going to keep experimenting with the older tablet and have fun with it.

Aussie571

Builder II

Hillvue NSW, Australia
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Altona
Member #

If I understand this right inorder to have gps on your tablet it most have cellular. So this may be a stupid question but do you need a cellular signal for the gps to work. Obviously my concern would be loosing gps if I also loose cell service. Also, does the tablet have to be cellular capable or activated.

Thanks
Hi Four Leaf Overlanding...No you don't need a cellular signal to run gps...only if you are going to use online maps. Most gps apps have offline maps and also online maps so you can utilize either.
If your tablet is wifi only then you can wifi-hotspot using your phone as the cellular device...I hope that makes sense!

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Johnboy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Thanks
You do-not need cellular data or a wifi connection for your phone or tablets gps to work. But you do need to have the maps downloaded to your device for it to work. I have literally traveled all over the world and used my gps on my ipad and iphone to see where I was on the map.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Thanks
I think where you might be getting this from is the iPad (at least the older ones, not sure on the newer ones). The only way to get GPS on them was to have a cellular one. However most people Bluetooth a GPS puck to them for better signal anyway. Most Android (that I'm aware of) come with a GPS/Glonass chip whether they are cell or Wi-Fi. Hopefully this helps answer your question along with others' answers.

Reactions: Aussie571

Johnboy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I think where you might be getting this from is the iPad (at least the older ones, not sure on the newer ones). The only way to get GPS on them was to have a cellular one. However most people Bluetooth a GPS puck to them for better signal anyway. Most Android (that I'm aware of) come with a GPS/Glonass chip whether they are cell or Wi-Fi. Hopefully this helps answer your question along with others' answers.

Johnboy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I have the newer ipad and the oldest one also and they both work for gps without wifi or cellular data. I use this program, Pocket Earth PRO by GeoMagik LLC https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-earth-pro/id481679745?mt=8
You just have to download the maps to your devise for it to work without wifi or cell data. I'm an airline pilot and travel around the world and the app works even when airborne at 36000 feet. Your devise does have to have gps built into it. You might have to turn your cellular data off in settings and wifi off to make it work. I also use this app for offline gps use,
CityMaps2Go Travel Guide by Ulmon GmbH https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/citymaps2go-travel-guide/id408866084?mt=8

S

SubeeBen

I pad mini with Gaia easy to use & functions of line as well , I am electronically challenged but this app is simple & but has many features as well.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Around town I just use waze on my phone.. For longer drives, but on highway, I have a 7" garmin with traffic, touchscreen, voice control.. I really like it.

Off road I've been using a Samsung Galaxy E 9.6" with a combination of backcountry navigator and Google maps. I like having the offline Google maps because I can use my computer to scout on it and flag potential campsites then use it offline on the tablet and all of my flags and notes are there. The case on it allows me to fold it over the passenger side grab bar. It works well when my wife is navigating but not as good solo. I actually just ordered a floor mount for it earlier today.

I also have a slightly older Galaxy 4 10.1" which I initially intended to use for navigation when I upgraded to the 9.6, but since the latter is still active on our cell plan (for only $10 a month) it makes more sense to just bring that.

I probably should just sell the 10.1. It works great and other than usual wear on the back, it looks like new. I haven't even turned it on in over 6 months.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Aussie571

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

My trusty 7" Lenovo has finally died, so I'm looking for another Android tablet with cell connectivity. Finding something that will fit the dash of a TJ without filling the entire windshield is the challenge, 7" Android tablets with cell service are kind of hard to find.

This vehicle is going to be mostly for harder off road trails, but will be coming along as a backup/recovery rig on camping trips.

• Sad
Reactions: 9Mike2

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have been using Backcountry Navigator for years and have dabbled with Gaia. I recently got a new vehicle that has Android Auto. I was very excited to discover that Gaia works great with Android Auto. Total game changes.

I'll still hang on to the Backcountry Navigator set up for APRS mapping. But why have more devices running than needed?

Now if we could just get the mapping from the Overland Bound One app to work with Android Auto we would really have a winner.