Contributor III

Virginia, USA
First Name
French
Last Name
Bache
Member #

Hello everyone,

Camping/Hiking experience: Some when I was a teenager. My job currently has me traveling a lot and b/c of COVID got me and my wife looking to "get away".
Overlanding experience: None. Honestly, it was TrailRecon that got me interested in the overlanding experience.
Vehicle: I have a 2021 TRD Off Road Tundra. It's slick. I have nothing for it as of now. My goal is to get to some remote locations, but nothing too crazy as my Tundra is my daily driver too.

Other Experience: Looking at getting ham radio license, and GMRS. Don't have it yet, but looking at getting it.

Other interesting information: Both my wife and I are vets.
I know that i'm not going to be able to buy everything that makes overlanding easy all at once and be $30k in debt, so I'm looking at getting the basics first such as:
1) Axe/hatchet
2) Chain saw
3) Tent (ground or possibly roof top)
4) cooking stoves, gas cylinders
5) Would like a fridge. But I wiould also like to know what others have done with a Tundra to make it overland capable.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello French, welcome to the OB family and thank you for your service.

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Welcome! Sounds like you have a solid platform to start with, and your list seems sensible. Maybe consider water and gas cans?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Hello French, Welcome to Overland Bound! Your off to a good start with the rig you have, no need to be in a huge hurry to get everything all at once, just get out and enjoy the many places that truck will take you in stock configuration. I would suggest adding a good first aid kit and fire extinguisher to your early purchase list :)

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'd put FOOD top of the list so refrigeration ranks #1 for me. 2 people, 35L should be plenty and it'll fit almost anywhere. Go smaller, not bigger.
Next SHELTER so, tent or canopy and sleep in the box. RTTs are really over rated. But if you must, the used RTT market is growing fast as reality sets in.
COOKING with an open flame is as old as mankind. Save a bundle and get an old Coleman in a garage sale. They run forever and cost $10. White gas is the best fuel.

AXE of course if you want a campfire.
CHAINSAW..... only if you already have it and have the Chainsaw Safety Courses plus the PPE. Chainsaws are leathel weapons.

COMS are definitley important but don't rely on them. Leave a plan with a trusted friend. COMS are useless with a dead battery.

And just get out there, go overlanding, test the waters, the Tundra is Trail Ready completely stock.

Reactions: zgfiredude

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Welcome, welcome! Great rig and I agree with Billie Bob. Get some basics and then go get out and overnight somewhere close....you'll see what works, what doesn't, and identify needs and wants. Keep them separate! Go slow and develop a list of what is truly needed and work on that. Watch for things getting too heavy as that just snowballs and can be no fun to resolve.

Research for what YOU want and not what everyone else is doing blindly. The motto is buy once/cry once. It's cheaper in the long run to get the right thing not just all the cheapest things.

Lee B

Rank II

Contributor III

Virginia, USA
First Name
French
Last Name
Bache
Member #

I'd put FOOD top of the list so refrigeration ranks #1 for me. 2 people, 35L should be plenty and it'll fit almost anywhere. Go smaller, not bigger.
Next SHELTER so, tent or canopy and sleep in the box. RTTs are really over rated. But if you must, the used RTT market is growing fast as reality sets in.
COOKING with an open flame is as old as mankind. Save a bundle and get an old Coleman in a garage sale. They run forever and cost $10. White gas is the best fuel.

AXE of course if you want a campfire.
CHAINSAW..... only if you already have it and have the Chainsaw Safety Courses plus the PPE. Chainsaws are leathel weapons.

COMS are definitley important but don't rely on them. Leave a plan with a trusted friend. COMS are useless with a dead battery.

And just get out there, go overlanding, test the waters, the Tundra is Trail Ready completely stock.

Thank you for the advice and ideas. I appreciate it.

Lee B

Rank II

Contributor III

Virginia, USA
First Name
French
Last Name
Bache
Member #

Thanks for your service and welcome to Overland Bound. I would add some basic recovery gear to your list. At least a good strap ( tow or recovery, your choice ) and some rated shackles. Add a shovel in addition to the axe.
You know, that's a very good point. I was looking at a few things such as High Jack, tow strap, etc. I don't plan going into crazy areas terrain wise, but better be safe than sorry. It's going to take a while, but I would like a good bumper for my Tundra and a Warn winch that is atleast 10000 pounds rated, maybe more since Tundra's are pretty heavy, plus what you have on the truck.

It's also good to have recovery gear in case someone else needs help as well. I'm looking into that and seeing what I can get now so I'm not too much into debt. haha.

Reactions: Dave Snyder

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

You know, that's a very good point. I was looking at a few things such as High Jack, tow strap, etc. I don't plan going into crazy areas terrain wise, but better be safe than sorry. It's going to take a while, but I would like a good bumper for my Tundra and a Warn winch that is atleast 10000 pounds rated, maybe more since Tundra's are pretty heavy, plus what you have on the truck.

It's also good to have recovery gear in case someone else needs help as well. I'm looking into that and seeing what I can get now so I'm not too much into debt. haha.
right there with you. In the process of building out a Ram1500 myself. It's going to take a while.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone,

Camping/Hiking experience: Some when I was a teenager. My job currently has me traveling a lot and b/c of COVID got me and my wife looking to "get away".
Overlanding experience: None. Honestly, it was TrailRecon that got me interested in the overlanding experience.
Vehicle: I have a 2021 TRD Off Road Tundra. It's slick. I have nothing for it as of now. My goal is to get to some remote locations, but nothing too crazy as my Tundra is my daily driver too.

Other Experience: Looking at getting ham radio license, and GMRS. Don't have it yet, but looking at getting it.

Other interesting information: Both my wife and I are vets.
I know that i'm not going to be able to buy everything that makes overlanding easy all at once and be $30k in debt, so I'm looking at getting the basics first such as:
1) Axe/hatchet
2) Chain saw
3) Tent (ground or possibly roof top)
4) cooking stoves, gas cylinders
5) Would like a fridge. But I wiould also like to know what others have done with a Tundra to make it overland capable.
Welcome To Overland Bound
Getting your ham license is easier than you might think, I always advise members to get the free ham testing app it is very easy to use. Then find a local ham club that is giving tests.
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com