Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Cool build out. I wanted to add, if Aluminess didn't already, you should drill a hole at the base of the shovel shaft. They are known to fill up with water and blow out the shaft. We had that happen to one, Aluminess sent us a new one, and we drilled a weep hole and haven't had an issue in 7 years.
Thanks, and that's great info. I don't believe mine is drilled, I'll check and drill it ASAP.

-TJ

Reactions: John and Mandi

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Thanks, and that's great info. I don't believe mine is drilled, I'll check and drill it ASAP.

-TJ
I double checked mine to see where my hole was made since it was a long time ago. I drilled through the handle perpendicular to the shaft where it inserts into the handle. The hole is on the back side or facing down when you are holding/using the shovel. Hopefully that makes sense. Out west it may not be as big of an issue but in the southeast our first shovel didn't even make it 3 months.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I haven't updated the thread in a bit, because I haven't changed much on the rig. I've just been using/enjoying it. Eventually I still want to get a custom leaf pack made to eliminate the blocks and better handle the weight, but honestly it's been super handy needing the bags to level it out. I intentionally park nose-low at camp, then drop the bags to 5psi lowering the rear a couple inches, making the step between my folding step and my step/skid in the RIG'd swing-out a bit smaller. I also will air one side or the other back up to help level if needed... meaning I've rarely needed to use the leveling blocks I bring.

I wish I had started keeping track of nights slept in the rig, and trips taken since I got the FWC... but it's been a lot and I absolutely love it. There is no "perfect" or "ultimate" setup, but I like to think I've built something close, at least for me. The range has been so nice (I don't even think about it while the rest of the group stresses on it). The power even at 10k+ lbs is amazing. The MPG really isn't *that* bad all things considered (15-17 MPG freeway doing 65-75 MPH mostly, 10-12 MPG trail depending on how far I air down, and whether it's a 2wd or even 4H type trail, or a 4L trail) but of course the cost of diesel is painful right now. I find I have everything I need, but still suffer from over-packing. I've been slowly thinning out items I find I don't use and think I'll have it dialed in soon. All-in-all very happy I went back to "FOOL" size.

-TJ

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Great thread - will be following. I aspire to have a FWC on my truck eventually but I'll be making changes at a glacial pace. Looking forward to more updates

Reactions: dp454so

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Great thread - will be following. I aspire to have a FWC on my truck eventually but I'll be making changes at a glacial pace. Looking forward to more updates
Thanks! Not much will change on the rig soon, I have new rear shocks and I may or may not mess with fabbing a rear sway bar... but I'm exceptionally happy with the whole setup.

-TJ

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

I went on Tom Cole's BDR trip with my FWC, overall it did great, I should have taken the running boards off though!

Attachments

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Did Moab a week ago, great time and the full-size did great even on all of White Rim:

-TJ
TJ, did you take that through Hardscrabble Hill? Man I was sweating it in my WJ with the inside mirror folded in and my passenger was too freaked to take pictures lol!! I can’t imagine a full size with a camper!
James

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

TJ, did you take that through Hardscrabble Hill? Man I was sweating it in my WJ with the inside mirror folded in and my passenger was too freaked to take pictures lol!! I can’t imagine a full size with a camper!
James
We ran it in "reverse" so I guess we would have been going down it, but yes.

-TJ

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
James
I was leading and I’m broken by narrow and steep AZ trails so we just charged it

it might be less intimidating going down?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

James
Now that I look, pretty sure this pic is coming down Hardscrabble:
P9300122.JPG

-TJ

SkunkedGorilla

Rank III

Advocate II

Cochrane, AB, Canada
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Korczak
Great build thread, well thought out build on this rig, amd well executed. Looks like a near perfect overland rig! Love the SAS amd I'm really digging the swing out cook setup. That is the bees knees, I bet that get alot od use and appreciated out on the trails.

Looks like you have already put the rig through its paces and have has some epic adventures together already, looking forward to watching this rig progress even more and itching to see your next adventure.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Great build thread, well thought out build on this rig, amd well executed. Looks like a near perfect overland rig! Love the SAS amd I'm really digging the swing out cook setup. That is the bees knees, I bet that get alot od use and appreciated out on the trails.

Looks like you have already put the rig through its paces and have has some epic adventures together already, looking forward to watching this rig progress even more and itching to see your next adventure.
Wow, thanks! Seriously thanks for taking the time to review my thread (I know I can be long-winded) and provide such a thoughtful comment!

As for the swing-out, I couldn't agree more. I won't lie, the RIG'd setup gets expensive when you look at the whole package. But it flat-out WORKS, and is easily the most used piece of kit on the rig. Firstly, it allows my my full-size, matching spare. Not only is this a necessity when way off-grid, it also lets me do a 5-tire rotation etc. Second, it also provides mounts for my trash bag and chainsaw mount (I love these Adventure Trailgear bags, I'm not affiliated in any way, but it's a small business run by a dedicated enthusiast and his customer service is second to none, as are the products) and the Rotopax. The Rotopax I use for water as a hand-wash station. That might seem like a minor thing, but I use it connnnnnnstantly.

Yes, I have a sink inside the FWC, but I don't want to be climbing in and out, opening/closing doors, etc. when I'm cooking and have raw chicken or whatnot on my hands (I cook a lot, and outside absolutely as much as possible). Then there's the flip-down table with the slide-out cutting board which obviously have endless uses including my drink station (whiskey in the PM, coffee in the AM ;) ). Honestly even if I didn't have the FWC and was running a rack system and RTT or something where I'd have room in the bed for the spare, I'd absolutely still run the RIG'd.

And yes, I've tried to get the rig out as much as possible, because it's what makes me happiest. I've pushed it some, but not even remotely to its limits yet (never had to lock up either axle yet). I've been in some pretty good rutted, articulation situations where it would have been way tougher if it was still IFS and now they're just a breeze. I don't ever intend to "rock crawl" this thing or seek out trails I can only barely make fully locked, the idea is to be over-built and that allows the stress/risk levels to stay low. In fact, the hardest things I've done was one a 100% solo trip. I'm not sure it would have made it through before on IFS and with only the rear G80 locker. As-equipped I felt safe and sure about making it, I just wish I could have gotten pics.

Once the front bumper and winch are on I want to say it'll be "done" but then again, are they ever done? I guess the next phase would be inside the rig. Right now my MTXZ275 just lives in the center console and it's not really "mounted" so I'd like to finish that. My S-Pod is mounted in a great location (unfortunately I don't have a pic handy and the truck is back home in Vegas), but I need to run a second "leg" to it in order to take some bounce out of it on the trail (truth-be-told it bounces more on CA freeways than the trail). Then there's the backseat area... I have it filled up on every trip and really I just need to delete it and build out dedicated storage for the items that "live" back there. I have a pretty serious system in this thing, which includes a big sub box under the back seat.

As much as I know I "should" get rid of the subs for this iteration of the truck's evolution, but I just love how it sounds far too much. It's funny, the interior is tastefully custom (I'll post pics this weekend) with black alcantara covering the headliner, A-B-C pillars, door panel inserts, and a few other panels along with the all Hertz-audio system which obv makes no sense for an Overlander. But that was all done nearly 10 years ago and is all holding up absolutely perfectly so I can't see getting rid of it.

-TJ

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick Malette

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

You can see a bit of the interior in these older pics...

1671153936751.png

1671153957476.png

Those pics were from way before it was supposed to be my Overlander, but the WJ was down. I had the bed loaded and the cab full, but I should have realized then it was the right rig!

1671154082751.png

1671154155162.png

-TJ