Launch Member

Contributor III

Los Alamos County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Giroir
Member #

I was wondering if anyone else in the group uses a GMT800 platform. If so, what recommendations do you have for parts and equipment? I drive a 03’ Yukon Denali Xl and I’ve been slowly getting it ready for serious trail and off-road use.

Attachments

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
@rho has been slowing working on one, a GMC 1500.
Yep! Ours is 2WD, but its more of a desert/dirt road crusing sort of rig.... But I've helped a buddy with a couple of his GMT800 trucks that were 4wd as well. They're great trucks even if the OEM suspension is somewhat lacking for off road use and durability. There is a ton of info on them, parts are cheap, they're easy to work on and they have GREAT engines. I'm a fan of the platform!

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Just joined and in the process of building out my 2001 4x4 Yukon XL so far 6.5” BDS Suspension lift and 35” Nitto tires and just replaced motor to take care of leaking heads and almost bad bottom end

I am 6’3” so going to be hard for me to give up the room to go to anything smaller

Attachments

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

I was wondering if anyone else in the group uses a GMT800 platform. If so, what recommendations do you have for parts and equipment? I drive a 03’ Yukon Denali Xl and I’ve been slowly getting it ready for serious trail and off-road use.
Just ordered a set of the O’Reilly Off-Road CV Half Axels hear they are a big weak point pretty reasonable around $250 a piece will keep my stocks as spares will add some tire-rod sleeves when i do the install

spent some time in the Sam Houston National Forest the last two weekends very easy roads no trouble at all would expect any 4x4 could handle what I saw this weekend

Attachments

Reactions: Fullsizedyacht

Fullsizedyacht

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, Washington
First Name
Henry
Last Name
S
Member #

@TxasYukonXL I was looking at those and wish I went that route. I ended up getting the TRQ axle but I’m def ordering that next time. The (ET) at the end of the part # stands for extended travel correct? I wasn’t sure but It’s good to know. Thank you for the info

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

And awesome rigs guys!!! I drive a 2000 GMC Yukon XL myself. I just have a 6” RC lift with a few braces on 37” nitto ridge grapplers. Love the rigs
Nice Rig!!

Did you do a Gear Swap for those 37s?

What Brand is that Roof Basket so far only one i could find out of the box for Yukon XL/Suburban w/500lb weight rating was Garvin Safari Rack

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

@TxasYukonXL I was looking at those and wish I went that route. I ended up getting the TRQ axle but I’m def ordering that next time. The (ET) at the end of the part # stands for extended travel correct? I wasn’t sure but It’s good to know. Thank you for the info
Yep exactly Extended Travel

Next Time?! Have you broken CVs out wheeling?

Attachments

Fullsizedyacht

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, Washington
First Name
Henry
Last Name
S
Member #

And awesome rigs guys!!! I drive a 2000 GMC Yukon XL myself. I just have a 6” RC lift with a few braces on 37” nitto ridge grapplers. Love the rigs
Nice Rig!!

What Brand is that Roof Basket so far only one i could find out of the box for Yukon XL/Suburban w/500lb weight rating was Garvin Safari Rack
I did not regear but maybe down the line! I am on stock 3.73 and it’s been doing great
And I have the ARKSEN 84" x 50" x 6" off amazon! Here’s the link! (Edit: looks like it won’t let me post the link but if u search on amazon that’s the dimensions I have)
Wanted something that didn’t break the bank.
It’s been doing great so far on camping trips and trails

Fullsizedyacht

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, Washington
First Name
Henry
Last Name
S
Member #

Yep exactly Extended Travel

Next Time?! Have you broken CVs out wheeling?

Awesome that’s great to know! And I’ve been on a few trails here and there some mild ones but my last trail was a little crazy lol lots of flex and gunning which lead to me breaking a driver side axle. I will upgrade to the ones you recommended in the near future! Thank you so much for the info

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Nice Rig!!

I did not regear but maybe down the line! I am on stock 3.73 and it’s been doing great
And I have the ARKSEN 84" x 50" x 6" off amazon! Here’s the link! (Edit: looks like it won’t let me post the link but if u search on amazon that’s the dimensions I have)
Wanted something that didn’t break the bank.
It’s been doing great so far on camping trips and trails
Found it! Thanks looks good... but I am a habitual Over Packer so pushed the Order button on the Garvin last night bout same size but with 500lb capacity, gives me option to site see from up there

Likely a month before it gets here as they are running a couple weeks behind

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Awesome that’s great to know! And I’ve been on a few trails here and there some mild ones but my last trail was a little crazy lol lots of flex and gunning which lead to me breaking a driver side axle. I will upgrade to the ones you recommended in the near future! Thank you so much for the info
Regearing to 4.56 or 4.88 would help there, less gunning it in those situations and you'll crawl over stuff easier. It'll be easier on your trans as well...

I'm about the go on the hunt for a set of 4.10 gears for our GMC and I'm going to replace the G80 with... something just not sure what yet.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Arrived yesterday will use these Kryptonite Tire Rods as spares for now but once swapped with stock believe these + Beefier ET CV Half Axels will be all I need for some time on the front ...
I'm interested to see how those hold up for you.

Reactions: TxasYukonXL

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Dual Battery Setup w/Dewalt 1000Watt Inverter completed this week just because i would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

Keyline Iso-Pro 140 Smart Isolator stays on as long as Starter batter is above 13.3V And cuts off when Starter Battery drops below 12.8V eliminates me having to wire to ignition fuse...

Still need to mount Stinger fuse box and the Isolator on the Firewall and zip tie cables left lots of extra cable till i finalize location of everything

Attachments

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Very nice, I just ordered that battery tray for our truck, and I'm starting to work on the dual batt setup for it as well. I'm planning on bringing ours up to TP2 spec, which has been an adventure in getting it spec'd out and figuring out the schematics and whatnot.

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Very nice, I just ordered that battery tray for our truck, and I'm starting to work on the dual batt setup for it as well. I'm planning on bringing ours up to TP2 spec, which has been an adventure in getting it spec'd out and figuring out the schematics and whatnot.
Is TP2 an efficiency or durability rating?

Was slightly disappointed on the amount of space in my second battery compartment was only able to fit a group 34 battery as i don’t plan on getting rid of the outter bracket bolt down area

After don’t know how many trips to the store mapping out the detailed schematic first is the way to go have $170 worth of 4 gauge wire that i need to find a home for due to lack of detailed planning

Reactions: rho