Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Never, now that being said I do not use the private repeaters on GMRS those might require a call sign.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’m obviously, once again, the oddball. When we are traveling with others, and talking, I’ll get it out there once in a while. When we get way off grid, I’ll key up on occasion, and announce, “WRPN506 monitoring channel 21 “ or whatever chanel I happen to be using. I used a CB for decades, out of necessity, to the point that I despised it. Then finally switched to GMRS. I don’t think it’s too much to ask of us to use this form of communication properly as outlined by the FCC. It’s not really that difficult to insert your call letters when keying up or before keying off. If nothing else, it’s a courtesy to others using the same frequency, letting them know you are done talking

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
nope
i use a baofeng handheld and the range is very short...i dont bother announcing my callsign because im doing good if the people im actually talking to can even hear me
guess if i had a base with decent antenna and there was multiple users i didnt know transmitting...i would use the callsign
1-5 watts in the mid 460mhz range isnt going to flag attention like military, law enforcement, air traffic freqs would

krzyaz

Rank IV

Influencer II

Maricopa, AZ, USA
First Name
Peder
Last Name
Thygesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7WWV
Once while using a GMRS radio i belted out my HAM call - a couple members of my group were a bit confused. I corrected my call and managed to spark a good conversation about differences between GMRS and HAM in overlanding/offroading. The best part of the conversation was centered around 'Letter of the law vs. Spirit of the law' as it related to equipment and identification on regulated frequencies.

Generally speaking, I don't if I'm on GMRS, especially if it is not over someones repeater. I suppose if I ran a 50w gmrs radio, I might consider it.

Reactions: Basecamp Overland

Hernandez59

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buckeye, AZ, USA
First Name
Emilio
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KFQ / WRMB843
Service Branch
Army
Ive been accused of that, i fix that by printing my gmrs call sign and ham call sign , and turning off the one not being used.

Dirt-Merchant

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
First
Last Name
Last
Ham/GMRS Callsign
[Private]
I hear people identifying all the time, but its different then on the HAM bands. Usually people use the last 3 of their sign.. ex: "hey 506 this is 243" etc...