Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Peace
Member #

What types of radios do you use. I have my GMRS license WROQ683. Currently I have 2 HT Wouxun KG805. I am looking into a mobile unit.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have a Midland mxt275 in my truck and in my Xterra. I also have a baofeng uv5r that I have programmed with gmrs and emergency frequencies.

I mainly use the baofeng as a spotting radio at this point, or for when I need a radio outside of the truck (when my daughter and her friend go exploring on their own). This setup works well for me.

My is a Kenwood industrial radio the The TK series. Can get these are used ebay for 30-50 bucks. They are used on school buses and other county vehicles. Never had and any issues and the face plate can be flipped so the speaker can face up or down. You will need to re-program the radio for the channels you want to use. Also look at the pics and make sure the power cord has not been cut to short.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I also run the Midland MXT275 however if you like the Wouxon handhelds they also have a GMRS mobile radio and it's probably the most capable GMRS mobile on the market right now.

Sobriquet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North Carolina
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Horton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4VPA
I have a couple of Uniden handhelds. I'm waiting on the Midland MXT575 for a mobile unit. Supposedly comes out next summer.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Another vote for Midland. I have the MXT400.
Most importantly is going to be your antenna and its mounting location. The guys in my group have been amazed how much better everything works with a proper antenna and mounting location. I use this one Laird technologies.
For my handhelds I like the Retevis. Commercial duty with a good price.

Reactions: Sobriquet

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We also run the MXT275, even though its only 15 watts, I have not had any issue with range to date, I like the small form factor of an all in one microphone due to lack of space in the Jeep for a third radio. I will likely wait for the MXT575 to come available for the one rig do not have GMRS in yet for the "just in case I need it" extra 35 watts... lol For the antenna we also use the Laird Technology with a NMO mount thru the roof of the Cherokee, has great SWR numbers and works very well.

Reactions: Sobriquet

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I also run the Midland MXT275 however if you like the Wouxon handhelds they also have a GMRS mobile radio and it's probably the most capable GMRS mobile on the market right now.
Don't leave us hanging, what's the model number?

OkieMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Marty
Last Name
AAAA
Member #

A buddy has a MXT400 in his Jeep and really likes it. Seems like a solid unit. I only have a ham rig in my truck, but I’ve talked to him on a handheld and his radio sounds great.

MojaveJT

Rank I

Contributor III

Gallatin, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Danton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI4MHQ
I was not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but this is a GRMS question. I applied for my GRMS License on the 18 of January. On the 19, I noticed a minor problem and I went online and submitted an amendment to the application. Yesterday I got the email saying here is your license. This morning I woke up to the same email. When I logged on to the FCC License manager, I noticed I have been issued 2 GRMS Licenses. So, Now I have two callsigns (3 Actually because I am also a ham radio operator). Does anyone know if I can transfer the license to my spouse (Put a callsign in her name)? I know we can operate under my callsign, but I have have two can I put one in here name and be done with it? I guess technically I can just let her use one and I use the other, but it would be nice to put one in her name.

Thoughts? Is there a problem having 2 GRMS callsigns?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@MojaveJT that is interesting, I am sure once they notice they will cancel one...which one? who knows, I would guess the oldest..... You might trying contacting the FCC or check back on occasion to see if they catch on and which one gets cancelled.

MojaveJT

Rank I

Contributor III

Gallatin, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Danton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI4MHQ
@MojaveJT that is interesting, I am sure once they notice they will cancel one...which one? who knows, I would guess the oldest..... You might trying contacting the FCC or check back on occasion to see if they catch on and which one gets cancelled.
I thought it was strange also, but there are now two entrees. I only had to pay the fee once. So, knowing the govt, they will either charge me a second time or drop one. I thought about submitting a modification to change the name, but that would probably cause more issues.

I will just keep an eye out and see what happens.

Reactions: M Rose

Walt_Felix

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Hartland, CT
First Name
Walter
Last Name
Felix
Hi, I'm new to GMRS and just installed a MTX275 in my Wrangler.

I didn't even get an email for my FCC GMRS License, just found the .pdf in the license manager a few weeks later when I went to check on the status.

I've been scanning the channels in my area, but not hearing much other than a few kids on some FRS channels and a weak discussion on 17 between two people speaking Spanish. I did get into a short conversation with someone on Sunday (on rp15) while I was sitting on the hill at the state hospital in Middletown, CT. Sounded like he was up in the New Britain area. But I'm still trying to figure out the etiquette on GMRS at this point.

Walt
WROZ560

MadMedic

Rank V

Trail Mechanic II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
McCamley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRPG822
Service Branch
Fredericksburg FD

I didn't even get an email for my FCC GMRS License, just found the .pdf in the license manager a few weeks later when I went to check on the status.

I've been scanning the channels in my area, but not hearing much other than a few kids on some FRS channels and a weak discussion on 17 between two people speaking Spanish. I did get into a short conversation with someone on Sunday (on rp15) while I was sitting on the hill at the state hospital in Middletown, CT. Sounded like he was up in the New Britain area. But I'm still trying to figure out the etiquette on GMRS at this point.

Walt
WROZ560
Awesome! I just got my call sign a few days ago: WRPG822
Fredericksburg, VA

A co worker introduced GMRS to me about 1 weeks ago. I am still researching and playing around with it also. My co worker and I have been talking about going in together to get permission from the fire chief to put up a repeater at the fire house. We dont have any known repeaters in our area. I got the wife on board and she is excited about the radios now so will likely get some mobile units installed in the jeeps in the near future.

I am playing around with possibly studying up to get my HAM license too so I can reach out further and chat.

Good luck with your new hobby.

MadMedic

Rank V

Trail Mechanic II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
McCamley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRPG822
Service Branch
Fredericksburg FD

Walt
WROZ560
Where / How did you install your unit in your rig?