Rank II

Enthusiast I

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Prashant
Last Name
Nate
Member #

My 40W Midland GMRS is causing interference with my Tundra's key FOB for some reason. Whenever the power wiring is attached to the battery the key FOB stops working, but only after the truck was running. After leaving the car off for about 5 or 6 hours, the key FOB will work until the truck is running again. I went ahead and removed the power wiring completely and the truck's key FOB worked immediately even after the truck's was running. Any ideas as to what could be causing the interference in the power wiring and suggestions as to how to still use the radio without interference from the key FOB?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

So the fob malfunctions even with the radio off? I am assuming based on the fact that you had to disconnect the wiring.
If so that's not likely an rfi issue and I would lean more towards a ground issue.
Are you running both power and ground to the battery? If so try grounding to the chassis instead of the battery. I know that goes against what everyone says but it's worth a shot.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So the fob malfunctions even with the radio off? I am assuming based on the fact that you had to disconnect the wiring.
If so that's not likely an rfi issue and I would lean more towards a ground issue.
Are you running both power and ground to the battery? If so try grounding to the chassis instead of the battery. I know that goes against what everyone says but it's worth a shot.
I was kind of thinking the same thing

moomootundra

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Prashant
Last Name
Nate
Member #

you need to put clamp on ferrite beads on the power and ground wires to the radio as well as find the power wire for the fob to put beads on it as well.
I'll definitely give the ferrite beads a try to see if it is causing interference.

It was indeed grounded to the battery. I grounded it to the chassis but it was still not working. Something else I noticed was there was a small whining sound coming from the engine bay right after I turn off the truck and during that point the key fob doesn't work regardless of the radio being connected or not. After the whining stops (roughly 5 or 6 seconds) the key fob will work only if there is no power to the radio. For the time being I'm going to see if disconnecting the radio power but keeping the wires attached to the battery and the ground will make a difference.

Reactions: M Rose