Enthusiast I

Loveland, OH
First Name
Geoff
Last Name
Tipton
Member #

Hey All!

Just joined and am looking forward to learning more in this community. Used to spend a lot of time outdoors and traveling, but moving to Ohio and having kids resulted in about a 10 year pause in exploring the outdoors.

Kids are a bit older now and I'm starting to explore ways to involve them in the adventure. Doing so out of Cincinnati, OH is a bit of a challenge compared to what it was like living out west, but here we are. Hoping to get tips from members on decent places to go in this area of the country.

Recently picked up a more capable vehicle so I'm learning a bit about wrenching and am filling out some gaps in my gear.

Looking forward to the community!

Geoff

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey All!

Just joined and am looking forward to learning more in this community. Used to spend a lot of time outdoors and traveling, but moving to Ohio and having kids resulted in about a 10 year pause in exploring the outdoors.

Kids are a bit older now and I'm starting to explore ways to involve them in the adventure. Doing so out of Cincinnati, OH is a bit of a challenge compared to what it was like living out west, but here we are. Hoping to get tips from members on decent places to go in this area of the country.

Recently picked up a more capable vehicle so I'm learning a bit about wrenching and am filling out some gaps in my gear.

Geoff
Welcome to Overland Bound Geoff
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
FYI, All Overland Expo shows have been cancelled this year. Due to Covid 19 concerns.
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Ohio Valley Overland & @MTOutdoorsman
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
http://www.midwestoverlandfest.com/

James.Laidlaw

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maineville, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Laidlaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7LTK
Greetings Geoff!

Sorry for the delay - but I was off last week dealing with a family emergency I'm just north of you about 4.5 miles in Maineville! I can totally relate as I grew up in MT and then lived in the Pacific NW for many years. Make sure you connect to the Overland Bound - Midwest facebook Group and introduce yourself there as well!. We're looking at getting some meetups in the area - plus I'm always down for coffee or a frosty beverage as well and frequent both Bishop's and Ramsey's in Loveland. I'm always down to discuss gear (and learn from others what they use and why). I also know of some other groups that are local to the area - matter of fact, if you're a Toyota guy - there is a toyota-specific ride this weekend down in Stanton KY on the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway! Msg me direct for more details if interested.

James

Reactions: Geoff_07

Geoff_07

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Loveland, OH
First Name
Geoff
Last Name
Tipton
Member #

Greetings Geoff!

Sorry for the delay - but I was off last week dealing with a family emergency I'm just north of you about 4.5 miles in Maineville! I can totally relate as I grew up in MT and then lived in the Pacific NW for many years. Make sure you connect to the Overland Bound - Midwest facebook Group and introduce yourself there as well!. We're looking at getting some meetups in the area - plus I'm always down for coffee or a frosty beverage as well and frequent both Bishop's and Ramsey's in Loveland. I'm always down to discuss gear (and learn from others what they use and why). I also know of some other groups that are local to the area - matter of fact, if you're a Toyota guy - there is a toyota-specific ride this weekend down in Stanton KY on the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway! Msg me direct for more details if interested.

James

Thanks James! I spent a few years in Colorado Springs followed by a year in MT, about 90 minutes west of Great Falls. Still miss being out there!

The DBBB is actually on my list, but I won't be able to make it for this weekend's trip. The rest of my weekends this summer are already booked up, but I'm still trying to get a feel for what all is happening around here so I can start planning ahead. I'll keep my eyes open for meetups and hopefully be able to make one.

James.Laidlaw

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maineville, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Laidlaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7LTK
Thanks James! I spent a few years in Colorado Springs followed by a year in MT, about 90 minutes west of Great Falls. Still miss being out there!

The DBBB is actually on my list, but I won't be able to make it for this weekend's trip. The rest of my weekends this summer are already booked up, but I'm still trying to get a feel for what all is happening around here so I can start planning ahead. I'll keep my eyes open for meetups and hopefully be able to make one.
Geoff,

I'll try to post rally points to these events in a timely manner but I'm also dealing with an ongoing family health crisis mentioned in my last post. We should sit down over a beer and I can give you the rundown on some local groups/ I am part of the KYTLCA as well which hosts several DBBB trail rides a year - so they come up on the time, even in late fall, winter and early spring. . I can get you the schedule if you'd like. I know a great portion of Montana very well as I lived there for about 30 years (grew up there - left - returned - left again - still have property there). 90 min W of GF....wouldn't that be like the Bob Marshall Wilderness area?? It's interesting I just posted about a "truck killer" road outside of Augusta in one of the FB groups.

James

Geoff_07

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Loveland, OH
First Name
Geoff
Last Name
Tipton
Member #

Sure, I'd be up for grabbing a beer sometime. My schedule is tough right now and it may be a year or two before I'm free enough to do much with local groups. I have 3 teens and a ten year old we just adopted from another country so I don't have a lot of excess time. I'm mostly figuring out what all is going on and starting to plan.

By the way, sorry to hear about the family health crisis. I obviously don't know your situation, but I've experienced a few of those myself. Can be life altering.

At one point I was pretty familiar with the Augusta area - we'd drive in to the little diner there as a treat occasionally. We were only there a year, and half of that was with a 99 Chevy Malibu! We were doing "overlanding" wrong, but it actually took us a surprising number of places. :) Swapped out for a truck after the first snow, though, and also discovered a couple snapped engine mounts in the Malibu! I really enjoyed it out there - beautiful country.

Geoff

Geoff,

I'll try to post rally points to these events in a timely manner but I'm also dealing with an ongoing family health crisis mentioned in my last post. We should sit down over a beer and I can give you the rundown on some local groups/ I am part of the KYTLCA as well which hosts several DBBB trail rides a year - so they come up on the time, even in late fall, winter and early spring. . I can get you the schedule if you'd like. I know a great portion of Montana very well as I lived there for about 30 years (grew up there - left - returned - left again - still have property there). 90 min W of GF....wouldn't that be like the Bob Marshall Wilderness area?? It's interesting I just posted about a "truck killer" road outside of Augusta in one of the FB groups.

James

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Hey All!

Geoff
There is a Rally Point set up for Cincinnati this weekend if you are interested... I'm going to try and make it up....here is a link