Georgia Mountains the week of Aug 9th - 14th anyone?

• HTML tutorial

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I will be going to N. Georgia August 9th for a few days. Hopefully, not only to do some exploration in the Chattahoochee NF , but I hope to do some fishing. I would like to find some people who could show me around the "Cooper Creek WMA" ; "Chattahoochee WMA" ; "Dicks Creek" ; "Rock Creek" and the "Blue Ridge WMA". (Looking for good camps sites and good fishing spots.)

I've got a few places saved on GAIA that I saw on YT videos. But, I would like to have some advice & recommendations from locals in the area. If you have the time that week, I'd love to meet up and do some fishing & wheeling.

Reactions: Nick_Gomez81

Patassa

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Guillory
Member #

Just found this searching for fly fishing along the Georgia Traverse, did you have any luck or at least learn where not to go for trout?

Patassa

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Guillory
Member #

I live in Dawson County in N Ga. Need anything, just let me know.
I appreciate the offer, without asking for any specific spots or anything I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction. Me and a buddy will be driving up to N. Georgia at the end of the month for 4 nights of camping and fly fishing. We normally go to the Cashiers/Pisgah areas in NC but figured we'd try some new areas and waters. I haven't done a ton of research yet, but just looking at where the Georgia Traverse trail runs and where some of the river's I've heard about, I was thinking of trying to set up camp and explore this area, but would love to know if I should look elsewhere.

1616023234325.png
1616023356990.png

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Just my preference but it you're in over the weekend I'd stay away from Dick's, not a fan of crowds and lines whipping around my head. If I'm out on weekends I usually will blueline. If you want to DM me I'll give you my # and we can talk.

Reactions: Eric Neal

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I spent several night
I appreciate the offer, without asking for any specific spots or anything I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction. Me and a buddy will be driving up to N. Georgia at the end of the month for 4 nights of camping and fly fishing. We normally go to the Cashiers/Pisgah areas in NC but figured we'd try some new areas and waters. I haven't done a ton of research yet, but just looking at where the Georgia Traverse trail runs and where some of the river's I've heard about, I was thinking of trying to set up camp and explore this area, but would love to know if I should look elsewhere.

View attachment 191533
View attachment 191534
Last October I spent several nights in the area on the map. There are some nice looking streams there. I fished some but was mostly checking out the area and exploring as I had never been there before. It's time to go back and concentrate on the fish! The Sandy Bottoms Rec Area (top right) had an especially nice access area to fish. Had to park on side of the road to pop my RTT as the campsites were for tents and not accessible for vehicle. No problem, no traffic at night. Deep Hole looked good for fishing but campground was in a "deep hole" and looked like a good mosquito haven during warm weather but not bad for my setup. Mulkey Campground was very nice with a nice stream that looked fishy. I saw a few dispersed sites east of there while leaving to head back toward S.C. There is some good fishing at the east end of the Traverse on the Chattooga River and tributaries.

You didn't say what your camping arrangements were but as I said some were more geared towards tent camping. All three I mentioned were nice and had an adjacent trout stream. There is much Forest Service land to explore and some beautiful areas to see. Got me thinking about it now!

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Deep hole is a good central spot to jump off from. Ok fishing, not sure if they went to reservation only. Lots of places to go to from there.