George Washington National Forest Dispersed Camp Sites

• HTML tutorial

Joeguyzxj

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Looking for some dispersed camp spots in G.W.N.F around Union Springs Trail / Stoney Run Trail / Haul Spring Road . I looked on google to find how to book them in advance or a website to explain how things work in VA but have had no luck. If anyone can point me in the rite direction it would appreciated, Thanks in advance, Joe

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

There are numerous dispersed sites in that area. All are first come/ first claimed.
Some apps may have spots listed, but I believe that info would be mostly user based.
In general for the GW/ Jefferson/ Mon forests, the forest service does not have published locations for dispersed sites. That being said, there are areas designated on the maps as being dispersed camping areas.
Are you familiar with the NFS interactive map?
It’s one of my go-to’s for trip planning. Zoom in, click on a feature and a window will open with more info. Very useful ( most of the time) for what forest roads are only open seasonally. The MVUM is what will help keep your travels legal.
Hope that helps. Flagpole is a popular destination. Weekends can get busy.
Happy trails!

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Probably headed up on Jackson River in April. Son wants to turkey hunt. I probably just fish. Found some sites looking on google maps. Been to many NF out around the Rockies and every forest is managed differently as far as access and rules for dispersed camping. I generally map an area and explore it. Some of the best sites don't show on the maps. Depends on what your criteria are. Tent, RTT, hammock, vehicle? Mine is quiet.

Joeguyzxj

Rank II

Enthusiast I

I am not sure with the NFS map , As I use onyx off-road 90 percent of the time with out of area travels / camping. We are planning a trip and plan on spending 2 days in PA then a pack up and make the drive to the areas mentioned in first post for 3 days then back to Pa for 2 more before heading home. So my next question is would we be better taking a chance and look for a dispersed camp site in our travels or find a campground spot & is there a way to book a camp spot at a campground in that area ? Sorry for so many questions in one post but we want this trip to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks Btw this will be 2 vehicles and tent camping.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
If it's just me, I don't mind taking chances if I have good maps and time to do some scouting in an unfamiliar area. If I have other people that I was planning with and for I would be inclined to have a spot reserved for that first night at least. Also, During mid-week not so many others around to compete for those dispersed sites. As mentioned, there is no booking of dispersed sites. No charge and no facilities. There are usually FS campgrounds to be found on the maps that have varying charges based on the amenities. Many of them are quite nice. Even if they say reservations required I have found that there is usually openings and no problem getting a space upon arrival. There are some popular ones that may need advance reservation. Especially on the weekends. I try to get away from people so those aren't my go to choice.

Reactions: Joeguyzxj

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

The interactive map is most useful for planning prior to leaving home. There is a mobile app, but I've found it to be of limited use, best to download the maps to your choice of navigation.
Be aware, large areas of these forests do not have cell coverage, especially true in a large radius around Green Bank.

Also be aware, and I'm not sure of extent or exact locations, but there have been some large wildfires in the last week in areas of western VA and eastern WV. (Wardensville, WV, Baker WV, Moorefield, WV Massanutten, VA) It's raining today, so hopefully that will help tremendously.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I’ve never had an issue finding a place to camp in that area. As others have said it’s first come first serve and even when it’s ‘busy’ there are a lot of places to set up so you simply just pick an area and keep your eyes open. Some are close to the trails and others disappear into the woods. If I’m going somewhere unfamiliar I typically use satellite imagery to scout my routes and you’ll see a lot of dispersed sites.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Both Flagpole and Meadow Knob and the nearby lake have a fair bit of room and if someone is there you can often share the space. As was said most of the camping in GWNF is first-come so you just need to find a few options. Beware that there are a lot of closures too until I think Memorial Day and when it all opens up, a lot of the more established sites will see SxS and bike traffic with all the noise that comes with it.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

The interactive map will give you the dates that different fsr's are open/ closed.
Zoom in, click on a road or feature and a window will open with more info.

For the most part, sxs are only allowed in certain areas. Not that someone won't, but as a general rule.. There's info on the Nat Forest website regarding where they are and are not allowed in the GW, Jefferson and Mon forests.

TalkingJeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Central Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Emr
If you want light fire trail/roads explore Hercules rd. you will see some spots from the "road" after you drive over the Appalachian trail. I will be there this weekend monitoring gmrs ch 4 462.6375 MHz Y'all are welcome too, if you are itchin to get out & don't have anything planned. I have the BRP Rangers programmed in too, as the cell service is spotty to none (AT&T)
@TalkingJeep on ig #talkingjeep
Mike aka GreatCJ8