Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

We're headed back to GWNF (George Washington National Forest) for a 2 night camping trip! We will be entering at the Braley Pond entranceway and camping at some great locations. Some trail riding, a bit of technical wheeling, good food and great friends... this will be a trip to remember!

View Rally Point
Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

rayun7

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Yunho
Last Name
Yun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
kc3ffe
Hi, I just joined OB and is thinking about going on this trip. I see the terrain type and had a few questions because I have a stock tundra and is wondering if this trail would be to much for the tundra.

Ray

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Hi, I just joined OB and is thinking about going on this trip. I see the terrain type and had a few questions because I have a stock tundra and is wondering if this trail would be to much for the tundra.

Ray
Hey rayun7, first off, welcome to OB! I only added all these types of terrain because there are various sections of this trail that have different terrains. Any stock 4x4 can go where we are going in the forest. I've been up there when I had my stock liberty, so you'll have no issues. We'd love to have you along!

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
Looking forward to going and meeting you guys. Bringing along a stock 2019 Ranger and a 1958 CJ-5 on 31in tires.

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Looking forward to going and meeting you guys. Bringing along a stock 2019 Ranger and a 1958 CJ-5 on 31in tires.
Hey there Hallout, we're looking forward to having you! We are very excited about this trip. I'll be interested to see the 19 ranger in action... that was one of my choices for a new rig when I bought my Xterra.

rayun7

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Yunho
Last Name
Yun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
kc3ffe
That's great to know thank you so much 4LO! I defiantly want to go but my kids and work will be the decider.
If at least my son and I can make it we defiantly look forward in meeting you guys.

More questions if you don't mind:
Is anyone bringing kids?
A friend might want to come with me in their truck, is that ok?
Are there any restrooms for going #1 and #2 there or on trail ( quite of few is asking lol )

I've researched and know some what about overlanding but still new and new to this trail.

Ray

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Hey there rayun7, hopefully you can join us. Its gonna be an awesome trip.

To answer your questions,

No there is not a public facility except down by the lake, which will be a 15 min drive from where we'll be camping

Nobody is bringing any kids, but we aren't concerned as long as they're well behaved.

And yes, feel free to bring a tag-along friend. Just keep in mind our camp area is only good for 10 people max.

rayun7

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Yunho
Last Name
Yun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
kc3ffe
again thank you! good to know so that i can be accordingly for everyone going.

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

So, good morning my fellow overlanders... in light of this CoronaVirus outbreak, I have an announcement to make... This camping trip.......... WILL TAKE PLACE! Hahaha, yeah, this is the perfect opportunity to get out in the wild, get away from the media and the nonsense, and just enjoy life.

So, I know I have a few people that have already rsvp'd to this trip, but again, if anyone has someone they want to bring along (person or rig) feel free, and share the word. We will have plenty of space for 10-12 people.

Also, I wanted to touch on food plans for the trip. We like to do a communal meal for one of the nights, so I figured we would do Saturday night communal meal.

We can do steaks, salmon, whatever. I will have my PopUp Campfire Grill setup, so we could also just do a "bring your own meat" kind of thing, and everyone can cook their meat of choice.

Let me know what you guys think.

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

There still room for more people? With the virus they're not doing surgery's so I might be free to come out, just have to go through all my stuff and check if my buddy wants to go.

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

***Also... to anyone who is coming... PLEASE if you have had any symptoms of flu or any sorts before this trip starts, please DO NOT attend. Not trying to be blunt, but it has to be said, as we all have jobs to go back to after the trip, so nobody can afford to catch anything.

On a different note, we're only a week out. Looking forward to this outing!

Hallout

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SCX
Service Branch
US Space Force
Hey there Hallout, we're looking forward to having you! We are very excited about this trip. I'll be interested to see the 19 ranger in action... that was one of my choices for a new rig when I bought my Xterra.
Aaand a bummer deal, as we're not going to be able to make it after all. I'm military, and we got a stop order for all travel outside of our local area. They defined my local area as 50 miles from my duty station, unfortunately.