Gear security???

• HTML tutorial

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
Wondering what you guys use to secure your gear? We like to hike I don’t like leaving stuff where anyone can just walk off with it. Looking for some good all weather padlocks for my hi-lift and fuel can brackets too. What have you guys had the best luck with? Don’t want crappy locks seizing up when I need them most.[emoji16]

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I use old shcool, laminated, master locks.
An annual shot of WD40 keeps them running for years.
But I don't attach anything outside. Everything rides inside, out of sight.

DSCN1272.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomer82

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I’ve used “bicycle” cables with combos or looped ends & combo locks. I like combos because there’s no key to lose & I can give someone else the number & they can access it without me. Generally I’m not looking for hardened security but simply a “keeping honest people honest” approach.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I use a Dewalt tote with a padlock and on some occasions I 'll run a cable thru the handle to the bed rail in the bed of my truck. we tent camp out of a double cab tundra and whatever doesnt fit in the rear seat gets put in the tote.

dewndwst28100.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I travel all over the continent, from the Canadian Maritimes to the Mexican border and use two different types of lock to secure my gear.

I'm usually gone for months at a time--this last trip was eight months--so end up leaving my rig in every kind of place imaginable when I go hiking, biking, canoeing or am in the city. From trail heads to deserted campsites to urban parking lots and truck stops I haven't had a single problem with theft, yet. Well, actually, I have, but only when parked in my in-law's driveway the day after I got married. That was almost forty years ago and is a whole 'nuther story.

The best theft prevention is to not tempt thieves. Keep a low profile and not only look like you have your act together, but have your act together. Having 'overland bling' hanging all over your rig full time is unnecessary, is an invitation, and an extra full-time worry. I hang shit on my van and trailer for the day, only when I know I might need quick access, like recovery tracks, shovel, etc or am actively using it around camp, like solar panel, day packs, life vest, canoe paddles, camp lighting, etc. but it is otherwise inside or out of view.

To lock up my bike and canoe, whether away from camp or when traveling, I like Bolt Cable Locks the best. Bolt Locks use your ignition key, so you're not always carrying a mess of lock keys or fumbling to find the right one. One key for as many Bolt Locks as you want, whether cable or pin locks. When buying, be sure to pick the one that fits your type of vehicle. They have them for GMC, Ford, Dodge & Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, etc. They make traveling with gear a lot easier.

All Bolt Locks have a stainless steel lock shutter, a plate tumbler sidebar to prevent picking and bumping, and have a double ball bearing locking mechanism. The locks have a durable hinged cover for the keyway, too. That these locks spin on the pin they lock too makes them much harder to twist or break off. Sometimes that's all it takes, that extra time to try and break off a lock, to thwart would be thieves. They want to grab and go.

The ones I use for bike and canoe are fairly stout Bolt Locks w/ 6' vinyl-coated coiled cable. The ones I use for my hitch receiver and Max Coupler on my trailer are Bolt Locks w/ 5/8" Stainless Steel pins. I put the lock back in the coupler on the trailer end after unhooking. Makes it just another step to try and take my trailer.

I also really like the little Curt coupler locks and use them to lock my trailer's tailgate or to couple small chain together. I keep a couple around. Makes it hard to get a tool in there to cut the bolt. Master makes one too, of a slightly different, solid brass style. I have both, but prefer the black Curt lock as less noticeable.

It also helps to look like a professional traveler.

I keep official looking round magnets on my doors (actually Trail Guardian magnets) and have a three working antennas on the roof. I never let the appearance of my van and trailer, or myself, scream "I'm on vacation!" I get questions all the time like "You work for the state?" and "So, you're with the University?" I think anyone who might steal your shit thinks twice if they think you might be official anything.

I've also left nicely hand-printed signs attached to barriers when I know I'm going to be away from camp for the day that say "Road Research - GPH4 Permit Holders Only. You ARE being recorded. Thank you." I may actually have some Road Research magnets made for the doors. :smile:

edit: Ohh! I meant to add this lock, that I use primarily on my bike when I park it out front of places in the city, because it is FAR harder to cut with long-handled bolt cutters than a cable lock or cordless grinder. It's called a TiGr Mini+ Titanium Bike Lock and it rocks. It's the best bike lock ever and has a spinner lock end too, making it more difficult to just break off the locking end. Again, having something look rugged and professional and much harder to deal with helps prevent theft.

packeduprolling_0577-blkd-900.jpeg

roadresearch-900.jpg

Last edited:

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

+1 on all those locks. I use & advocate for them as well. The Bolt ones are pricey but keying to the ignition key is SUPER handy.

Your setup does look official. In the 90s I was with a Geologist & her USGS set ups looked VERY similar to yours. Door magnets are brilliant & I like the idea of your sign - though I think you should get it laminated. Personally, I think I might pursue a GPH4 permit myself.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

+1 on all those locks. I use & advocate for them as well. The Bolt ones are pricey but keying to the ignition key is SUPER handy.

Your setup does look official. In the 90s I was with a Geologist & her USGS set ups looked VERY similar to yours. Door magnets are brilliant & I like the idea of your sign - though I think you should get it laminated. Personally, I think I might pursue a GPH4 permit myself.

Hey there, @RainGoat - thanks. Didn't realize you'd left a reply. I LOVE my Bolt Locks and that I don't have to have a separate key.

I field-laminated the Road Research signs with clear packing tape before stapling them to the barriers. Still have them, matter of fact, more than five months later, though think I'm going to do some with better lettering to look more official and will go to Fedex and use their self-service laminator. Perhaps make them with the same seal or logo as any new door magnets I might make.

Reactions: RainGoat

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I always buy the biggest, most expensive lock that fits the occasion. Just for looks, really.

Theft is on the rise again because of deadbeat meth junkies here in the Heartland. It sucks, I hate a thief.

Luckily for us, they mostly stay in urban areas, not out in the real World...

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

their no guarantee, if they want it bad enough they will get it. Locking of our gear is all I can do to secured by using locking mounts, chains w\pad locks. Rotopax Fuel Pack has a locking mount, my Bulldog Hi Lift jack mount locks, the Engel fridge is chain to through the tongue of the adventure trailer, my square drop trailer has a removable coupler (leaving the coupler lock in place) & removing the safety chain, I run a logger chain through the rims & around the axle. I set up a game camera over looking camp when we do leave. My trailer & gear is insured for theft. Were we go we don't see many passer byer's at all. Theirs times that we just sit around camp for day's because of the scenery around us & never seen a soul. It's sad we live in a society that thievery & disrespect for others & their property isn't respected.
010.JPG053.JPG056.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomer82 and Road

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I use no locks, anyone who knows me knows i have a license to carry and the fact this is texas, and what will happen if i catch them stealing from me. Last year i had a guy steal one of my diesel gas cans apparently he told someone who knows me and the next day i had a full can of gas on my front porch with a lengthy apology note attached. Folks dont even lock their front door at night here.

Reactions: Old Tanker

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

All great ideas. For what it’s worth, theft is even more rampant in 3rd world countries. Also, intimidation of fear of consequences doesn’t really work well for the junkies & local bad apples who patrol trailheads. The game camera is an interesting idea but, as an illustration, when my car was stolen from a secure garage in Seattle, the police didn’t even want to look at the video from the security cameras - property theft has very low priority. Perhaps if it’s a rural local police force, they’ll recognize the culprit and care, however, given the amount of illegal rural meth labs & marijuana crops on public land, I’d say enforcement is really not ideal. Deterrence is definitely your best bet.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

All great ideas. For what it’s worth, theft is even more rampant in 3rd world countries. Also, intimidation if fear if consequences doesn’t really work well for the junkies & local bad apples who patrol trailheads. The game camera is an interesting idea but, as an illustration, when my car was stolen from a secure garage in Seattle, the police didn’t even want to look at the video from the security cameras - property theft has very low priority. Perhaps if it’s a rural local police force, they’ll recognize the culprit and care, however, given the amount of illegal rural meth labs & marijuana crops on public land, I’d say enforcement is really not ideal. Deterrence is definitely your best bet.
I live in one of the poorest counties in texas with one of the highest meth rates.
i worry more about our crooked sherrifs office than i do the tweakers. Back in the 90s our sherriff got busted for smuggling cocaine through our local airport and having his son and deputies distribute it.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I live in very small mountain community in Arkansas, state & local law enforcement take crime pretty serious no matter what it is. My son is a LEO "law enforcement officer" the tolerance of crime is zero tolerance. I own a farm & back in the 2008 when gas prices were peaking I had several tanks siphon from my trucks & wife's SUV. I stuck a game camera out & had many pictures of the scum which I passed on to our local constable & country sheriff. He was arrested & the theft of gas stopped in our area. It's the same with trespassers on private property. I have quite a bit of property, it's posted with signs & purple paint NO TRESSPASSING. Some webbed footed flat landers though they could sneak on my farm & hunt turkeys during the spring turkey season, they parked their SUV in a small grove of post oak on my property & a local stopped by & told me of the vehicle. Called the local constable, he called tow service & had the vehicle towed @ the owners expense. My good friend is the local game warden & he found them on my property hunting, ticket them & they had a long walk 10 mile to the impoundment yard. Law enforcement does work

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
I travel all over the continent, from the Canadian Maritimes to the Mexican border and use two different types of lock to secure my gear.

I'm usually gone for months at a time--this last trip was eight months--so end up leaving my rig in every kind of place imaginable when I go hiking, biking, canoeing or am in the city. From trail heads to deserted campsites to urban parking lots and truck stops I haven't had a single problem with theft, yet. Well, actually, I have, but only when parked in my in-law's driveway the day after I got married. That was almost forty years ago and is a whole 'nuther story.

The best theft prevention is to not tempt thieves. Keep a low profile and not only look like you have your act together, but have your act together. Having 'overland bling' hanging all over your rig full time is unnecessary, is an invitation, and an extra full-time worry. I hang shit on my van and trailer for the day, only when I know I might need quick access, like recovery tracks, shovel, etc or am actively using it around camp, like solar panel, day packs, life vest, canoe paddles, camp lighting, etc. but it is otherwise inside or out of view.

To lock up my bike and canoe, whether away from camp or when traveling, I like Bolt Cable Locks the best. Bolt Locks use your ignition key, so you're not always carrying a mess of lock keys or fumbling to find the right one. One key for as many Bolt Locks as you want, whether cable or pin locks. When buying, be sure to pick the one that fits your type of vehicle. They have them for GMC, Ford, Dodge & Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, etc. They make traveling with gear a lot easier.

All Bolt Locks have a stainless steel lock shutter, a plate tumbler sidebar to prevent picking and bumping, and have a double ball bearing locking mechanism. The locks have a durable hinged cover for the keyway, too. That these locks spin on the pin they lock too makes them much harder to twist or break off. Sometimes that's all it takes, that extra time to try and break off a lock, to thwart would be thieves. They want to grab and go.

The ones I use for bike and canoe are fairly stout Bolt Locks w/ 6' vinyl-coated coiled cable. The ones I use for my hitch receiver and Max Coupler on my trailer are Bolt Locks w/ 5/8" Stainless Steel pins. I put the lock back in the coupler on the trailer end after unhooking. Makes it just another step to try and take my trailer.

I also really like the little Curt coupler locks and use them to lock my trailer's tailgate or to couple small chain together. I keep a couple around. Makes it hard to get a tool in there to cut the bolt. Master makes one too, of a slightly different, solid brass style. I have both, but prefer the black Curt lock as less noticeable.

It also helps to look like a professional traveler.

I keep official looking round magnets on my doors (actually Trail Guardian magnets) and have a three working antennas on the roof. I never let the appearance of my van and trailer, or myself, scream "I'm on vacation!" I get questions all the time like "You work for the state?" and "So, you're with the University?" I think anyone who might steal your shit thinks twice if they think you might be official anything.

I've also left nicely hand-printed signs attached to barriers when I know I'm going to be away from camp for the day that say "Road Research - GPH4 Permit Holders Only. You ARE being recorded. Thank you." I may actually have some Road Research magnets made for the doors. :smile:

edit: Ohh! I meant to add this lock, that I use primarily on my bike when I park it out front of places in the city, because it is FAR harder to cut with long-handled bolt cutters than a cable lock or cordless grinder. It's called a TiGr Mini+ Titanium Bike Lock and it rocks. It's the best bike lock ever and has a spinner lock end too, making it more difficult to just break off the locking end. Again, having something look rugged and professional and much harder to deal with helps prevent theft.

View attachment 106684

View attachment 106685
Interesting, never knew they even made bolt locks that fit truck keys. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Interesting, never knew they even made bolt locks that fit truck keys. Thanks for the info.

You bet, @Boomer82 . Bolt also makes a regular padlock that keys to your ignition key, but I haven't used one yet myself. It has a few negative reviews, though mostly positive. I can say that the Bolt Hitch Locks and Bolt 6' Cable Locks have been rugged and trouble free over the last two years in a variety of environments and climates. Having just one key--that I always have on me anyway to start the engine--to unlock my bike, canoe, hitch and extra cable lock is super convenient.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I like the idea, 21.99 each, I need 5, shipping to Canada is an extra 9.99 each, to Canadian funds, total of $208.00 plus any duty, tax at the border. Right now I can buy 6 keyed alike Master locks for $40.00. No way can I justify an extra $200 to eliminate 1 small key.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The best security, keep everything valuable out of sight.

Another peace of mind consideration, where do you live. We moved from Edmonton, Alberta to Yellowknife, NT. ALL our insurance, car, home went down 30%. Turns out there is less crime in Yellowknife. Now in the Kootenays in BC we live in a small town. I swear we could leave a vehicle running for a week and no one would touch it. BUT 3 blocks over the street lines up with the bar and trailer town. People walking home from the bar will steal a shovel if you lean it on the fence.

Location, opportunity, transients. Eliminate those 3, no crime.

Last edited:

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

I will just add that locking it all up is great and I do lock up as well. When your lock fails, make sure you have something to cut it off with. Make sure you bring a bolt cutter in your rig!