Rank IV

Influencer II

Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA
First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

A lot of overlanders secure gear and equipment to the outside of their vehicle such as traction boards, gas cans, shovel, axe, etc.

Let's say you have a 6-hour highway drive to get to the area that you'll be overlanding in. Do you keep all of those items on the outside of your vehicle the whole ride, or would you put them inside of your vehicle and then secure them to the outside once you arrive at your destination? Destination meaning the area where you'll be offroading and going slower and exploring, etc.

Hazard

Rank II

Member I

Minden, Douglas County, Nevada, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Pape
Member #

A lot of overlanders secure gear and equipment to the outside of their vehicle such as traction boards, gas cans, shovel, axe, etc.

Let's say you have a 6-hour highway drive to get to the area that you'll be overlanding in. Do you keep all of those items on the outside of your vehicle the whole ride, or would you put them inside of your vehicle and then secure them to the outside once you arrive at your destination? Destination meaning the area where you'll be offroading and going slower and exploring, etc.
I'd leave it mounted outside. If you worry about theft then I'd lock it up on the outside where it's mounted. There are many locks for these mounts. Just my opinion.

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC

I use my truck all the time and sometimes i just decide to go; so what's mounted outside, stays outside throughout the year: Boards, propane, fuel cans, storage boxes, shovel, etc.

I remove my kayaks and awnings during the winter (Nov-Dec) most years. However, i have several cold weather trips planned this year so the awnings stayed.

Last edited:
Reactions: BroncoTrail

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I run a Ram 2500, with a 8' bed and a rack on top. It looks more like a contractors truck than an overland rig, I remove the old rack for fuels when I am in town.The rig is built for the way I travel not for appearance. Everything not fuel related rides in the back when I travel. It's loaded with access to the road related stuff near the back, recovery gear is behind the seats with the air compressor. I find max trax a fashion piece over function so I don't have them. I also believe many like the "look/fashoin of keeping all that stuff loaded all the time. I get the RTT and awning riding full time the rest can be loaded pretty quickly. I can load everything in about an hour or so. You do you.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Wow, 6 hour drive. I wish.. Because ours is a dedicated vehicle all the stuff stays bolted or fastened on, except 3 boxes and the propane bottle. I have to take that stuff off to get in & out of the 7’ barn door. A home project will be to make the barn doors 8’ so I don’t have to bolt everything on and off. I’ll probably never get to that project as bolting on & off has become a half hour ritual, as it means we are on our way. Theft? The propane bottle is locked. If someone wants to steal a shovel, then, as my grandpa used to say, “ if they’re dumb enough to steal a shovel, then they’re dumb enough to use it” . If they open up the boxes they’ll find hoses, with bolted down water pump, MREs and a Little Buddy heater. If ours were a daily driver, I’d be stripping it down after each trip. There’s a couple guys around here that have show rigs the drive around and it just looks foolish. I made the mistake of talking to a guy not long ago in an LR all decked out and asked where he was headed. “To work” oh, where’ve you been? “Nowhere yet” any plans? “Maybe up into the woods for an overnighter one day” . I couldn’t contain my laughter. He sure was stylin.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I try to attach as little equipment as possible outside on the rig and only where it really makes sense. And this is not for the reason of saving fuel, but because many things which are attached to the vehicle outside increase height, width, length, etc. And could be annoying on the trails, where e.g. branches can get caught in the gear then on narrow paths and cause damage. Additional height with things on the roof unnecessarily increases the center of gravity. All this can have a negative impact on safety and driving dynamics. Things like shovels, axe, saw etc. I put in the vehicle anyway, because outside these items are all the time exposed to environmental influences, UV light, dirt, etc. and can thus be damaged or are at least when I want to use them completely dirty.

But what's mounted outside, stays outside all the time. In my case, it's traction boards, spare tire, a water canister for easy access to wash hands etc. and dependig on the profile of the trip a jerry can and and a highlift.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Due to inside storage space restrictions some stuff is always outside locked up.
Back swings - Highlift, shovel, jerry cans, spare tire.
Back camper door - Worthington propane tank.
Camper roof - Max tracks (I would rather they be lower but using the tailgate or spare they are easy to get to)

I dont put any gear on the sides.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
all the stickers on the windows
I can't stand stickers hah
On your original question. I do keep stuff on the exterior because that is its place. If that is where it will be when im off road I want it there any time its with the truck. Then I always know where all of my equipment is and dont have to wonder if I moved it, packed it, etc. sucks to be searching for stuff when you are fixing something or getting unstuck on the trail.

Reactions: B-R and Jim SoG

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I’m also in the camp of keep it inside if possible. I’m there to enjoy the trip, not make a fashion statement.

But the shovel, chairs and a 5 gallon bucket are always easy to get to. If there’s an unscheduled deployment of the shovel and you don’t want to throw it on top, stuff it in a trash bag until you get to the destination for the day.

Reactions: MMc

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

How are people gonna know you're an overlander if you don't have all your gear mounted on the outside?
Right!?! Though, in my case I really didn't want stuff like the axe, shovel and chainsaw inside the cab or inside the FWC. You wouldn't think it, but a FWC and pickup actually leaves you with very little storage for "dirty" things.

-TJ

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Ideally, I'd like to reduce the height, weight, and drag on my rig, so I tend to find places to keep things inside or that will not drastically impede the weight, aero, and height. Keeping the center of gravity is very important when it comes to hitting the trail too, so minimizing the weight on the rack is crucial, especially if you go straight from the highway to the trailhead. I'd rather air down and get to where I am going on the trail rather than sit at the trailhead resituating my gear. For me, I have a system with all my gear inside and out to help accomplish all of this, keep things organized, as well as make it easy on me when getting to camp. There is a balance with this that takes time and experience. I tend to keep my awning and traction boards on the outside at all times. The boards are locked so no worries there. The only other items that would live on the outside of the rig (at the moment) during a trip would be cases on the roof rack, a bike rack or cargo basket on the hitch, and maybe a 5-20lb propane bottle. Otherwise these are stored in my garage or shed. Usually the trip and gear needed dictates whether any of that will get pulled out. Otherwise I tend to be relatively adventure ready inside the rig apart from food, water, clothes, significant bedding, and additional shelter other than my sleep setup from the drawer system.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I keep it on the outside and it basically lives on the outside. The only thing I lock is the gas can and top box if I am staying in a hotel or using the rig for a family (non camping) trip.
I do double check everything is secure.

IMG_4595.JPG