[Gear Map] How would YOU do it? Load this rig for a weeks-long adventure for two

• HTML tutorial

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

'Thought this might be fun. How would YOU do it?

Below is a diagram of my concept for loading a 2013 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X for a multi-week adventure for two people in the desert Southwest of the USA. This could be all wrong. What would you do differently?
  • I have limited overlanding experience but more extensive backpacking experience.
  • I'm attracted to the idea of bringing a) what I need to be safe, b) what I need to avoid incurring costly expenses if bad things happen, and c) what I need to avoid the kind of discomfort that might ruin the trip. I want to keep it simple and minimize weight, with due regard for a, b, and c.
  • I'm attracted to the idea of smaller, mobile, perhaps soft-sided containers for gear. And again this is an expedition of two, so there may not be a need for a major kitchen setup---but I might be missing something there.
Please add in the comments below your insight, wisdom, and miscellaneous trash talk.

I'll update the gear map and incorporate some of your ideas along the way.

Enjoy!

Salt and Bram the Wonder Dog

CLARIFICATION: See the title of this thread, "...Load this rig for a weeks-long adventure for two". For the simple-minded and incurably optimistic... This is an exercise. I am NOT offering an extended adventure-for-two in exchange for loading my rig! Thank you. :grinning:

Xterra - Gear Map.002.jpeg
Xterra - Gear Map.003.jpeg

Last edited:

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I started out going on trips as a backpacker then it evolved to more of a car camper / overlander setup. If you bring everything you need from a backpacking perspective then you will be ok with what you need and then you can add comfort and convenience to that since you are traveling by vehicle.

Since you will be travelling the southwest desert anything you have on the outside of your vehicle (and even on the inside) is going to get dusty. You’ll want to make sure anything that you want to keep relatively clean is in a box or heavy duty bag especially if it is on the outside.

If you are dispersed camping you may want to think about a portable toilet such as a Cleanwaste and some bags and such for its use so you can pack that out in your trash pack. You may want a simple privacy tent as well. If the second person on your trip is female the toilet and privacy tent will be a big deal.

A nice to have (but not need) would be some sort of awning to keep out of the sun when in camp.

Reactions: genocache

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

I think yours is a really healthy approach: start with my time-tested backpacking list and then add items, but justify everything I add (my paraphrase).

And for desert expeditions, bag everything, especially on the outside. I live in-town in Phoenix and for the five months of the year that I have (screened) windows open 24/7, dust gets in everything. I don't have to be sold on the need for bags.

For my own situation, the portable toilet with a privacy tent is NOT merely optional. Why? Murphy. Try as I might to camp only at sites with facilities, what if facilities aren't working or my reserved space is not available and I'm scrambling for a campsite? It's one thing if I'm alone. I'm a boy scout, been there before. But if I have a female companion, as you indicated? This is one of the few areas of life in which Bram the Wonder Dog is a really bad role model. :grinning:

I hear some "desert rats" say the awning is essential. I may get there, not there yet. I've added a note about it to the map. I also added the portable toilet and privacy tent.

Thank you, @socal66 !

Last edited:

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I could go backpacking right now better then I could go overlanding! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: That being said, I have really only found the main difference is I need to bring things for my vehicle (fuel, recovery items, etc...) those are not things you'd ever consider backpacking. But then that changes again because backpacking is singular and a lot of times overlanding/dispersed camping, is not. Being newer myself to overlanding i will repeat what was told to me...it doesn't do any good to have all the cool stuff and tools if you don't know when or how to use them. Not saying you don't! Your load out looks good. Maybe add a jump pack at some point(unless I overlooked that). But if your backpacking was anything like mine you'll be changing stuff pretty often lol! Regardless, have fun!

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

I'm sure many members would agree with your comments about backpacking versus overlanding (I do).
Between backpacking and overlanding, the decision-making themes are much the same (cost, weight, convenience, comfort, and risk management?), but how those themes play out is more complex in planning for overlanding. With overlanding, I'm not going to hem-and-haw about whether to cut the handle off a toothbrush. Instead, I'm torn about whether to invest in a winch when a come-along will usually suffice.

What's a jump pack? Is that get home bag? I have one of those, well, some weeks I do and some week I don't. LOL But I don't have a get home bag in this gear map. Now do I really need a get home bag if I have a survival pack? I mean, I could rob from the EDC pack and the survival pack to build a get home pack in a few minutes. IS THAT WISE?

I am here to learn. I'm taking all comments as constructive.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

lol very true about the toothbrush!! a jump pack is just a device used to jump start your vehicle incase of a dead battery. They probably have different names used for them but I've always called them a jump pack. Just like having someone there with a car to jump start you, but you don't have to have the person...or the other car!

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

lol very true about the toothbrush!! a jump pack is just a device used to jump start your vehicle incase of a dead battery. They probably have different names used for them but I've always called them a jump pack. Just like having someone there with a car to jump start you, but you don't have to have the person...or the other car!
Now I get it. In the map, I've moved the jump pack out of the radio pack and under the passenger seat. I use it to charge radios, most people probably don't. Thank you!

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I would say the come along has little utility, most are too light for vehicle use. The only thing I would consider is, do you have any doubts about rad hoses, battery, alternator or belts. On the electrical items although you can have them load checked, if your alternator is old it can fail without much warning. I carry a spare on long trips out of cell range, but it is less of an issue now that I have new one.
Belts and hoses can get damaged so having spares never hurrts

Reactions: Salt

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

From my standpoint I would think you would use your food and cooking supplies more than your tools, electrical etc. Unless it is a weight issue (and makes perfect sense to keep heavy stuff lower) I would put the lesser used items up top and the more often used items below unless it is not an inconvenience to climb on the roof every time you want to eat. I don't have a roof rack so I really don't have insight into that.

Reactions: Salt

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
This me pretty much set, I have the smaller cooler as this is for an overnighter, and my spare parts kit plus extra tools are not in the Disco. We are expecting rain possibly heavy so sleeping in the truck for this trip.

I add a few other things in eth cab, but not until I leave, and normally do not have the cold weather sleeping bag. The wood box behind the passenger seat is for the diesel heater, which goes in just before I leave.

If I require spare fuel I can load 10 gals under the platform is required - but who am I fooling it is a Discovery on any long offroad trip they go in

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

I would say the come along has little utility, most are too light for vehicle use. The only thing I would consider is, do you have any doubts about rad hoses, battery, alternator or belts. On the electrical items although you can have them load checked, if your alternator is old it can fail without much warning. I carry a spare on long trips out of cell range, but it is less of an issue now that I have new one.
Belts and hoses can get damaged so having spares never hurrts
Yep. 'Need a container for spare parts. Every make and model may have its own list of parts that make the mostly-likely-to-fail list, but surely belts and hoses are on every list. I'm modifying the gear map to add this.
And a big Thank You for posting photos!
I will actually demo the gear map in a few weeks, once my overhead net arrives.

Last edited:

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

From my standpoint I would think you would use your food and cooking supplies more than your tools, electrical etc. Unless it is a weight issue (and makes perfect sense to keep heavy stuff lower) I would put the lesser used items up top and the more often used items below unless it is not an inconvenience to climb on the roof every time you want to eat. I don't have a roof rack so I really don't have insight into that.
Agreed. And the things I use less often can probably handle the desert heat better. i'm switching a few things from top to interior and interior to top. Food /kitchen comes inside and recovery equipment outside.

Last edited:

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

UPDATE: I've spent a few weeks testing configs on my rig, driving around town. Two important conclusions:
  • I have less space in practice than I did on paper. My cargo space and roof space especially are more limited than I envisioned. The measuring tape don't lie!
  • Between me and my 80 pound German Shepherd, one of us needs to be the adult in the room. He should not be sitting in the front passenger seat for safety reasons. I need to create a safe, secure place in the back, in the second row of seating. So I re-installed the back seats and I added a padded, four-sided fabric "box" that occupies the entire second row. That eliminates his play area but does not otherwise change the configuration much. I can still have a molle panel on the back of the driver seat and, more importantly, store gear on the floor in front of the back seats.
Here is my new configuration that is being road-tested in town (the Raingler attic net arrives today!):

Xterra - Gear Map - Plus One Person.002.jpeg
Xterra - Gear Map - Plus One Person.003.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: rgallant