Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I second the guy that said "go out and play, let the experience dictate what you need to buy..."

100% agree with this. Most people will buy a rig then blow $$$ on gear they never end up using. This is not the way people should go about anything in life. It is all about starting simple and pushing that to the limits in every area of life then finding out what would benefit and strengthen to allow for greater capabilities.

I would rather trust a guy with experience and a bone stock rig compared to the one without experience and a built rig. As time goes by you will find out what you will need.

Sam M.

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Rafael, CA, USA
Member #

Thanks for all of the advice guys. So far based on daily driving and the few overlanding trips I have been on I am definitely going to look into rock sliders as I have had some close calls on some pretty mild trails. I have also heard they help a bit with door dings in tight parking spots which would be nice. Any recommendations would be great. So far I have been looking at the bolt on sliders from BAMF and All Pro. I was also wondering if the powder coating is worth the extra money?

I am going to stick with the factory Bilstein suspension. I do eventually want to switch to the Old Man EMU BP-51 suspension but I will probably hold off until this suspension starts to go out or I find myself really needing it. The Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts have been alright so far and I will probably stick with those as well until they wear down since I only have 30k on them.

I did get a softopper to keep things in my bed dry on my way to work. I had the Bestop but it just didn't fit the 3rd gen that well and it leaked pretty good during the storm we had this last week in the Bay Area. I was additionally looking at the Dissent offroad bed and roof rack combo that goes over the softopper as I do have to load up different supplies for work from time to time that don't fit well in my bed and it would be a nice upgrade over the cheap rack I have now. I also like the fact that these racks are modular and light weight. Has anyone had any experience with Dissent Offroad's racks?

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryD and ru108