Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I purchased my T3 from the OB store a tad over a year ago. Smooth transaction and supports this site. I preferred the T4 but it would not fit inside my TJ. The T3 fits perfectly across the rear wheel wells and it’s an improvement over the cot tent in terms of comfort with the ability to sit/stand (not fully upright for 6’1”). I can bring my camp chair (Helinox Sunset) inside to sit and change clothes or read if raining.
I think for being solo the T3 would work for me as well and its a little less costly. I have plenty of room for transport and would probably carry it on the roof rack whatever I buy. I'm still trying to figure out a plan for where I will put things to start with. Questions come up in my mind like I might want to sleep in my rig if I get somewhere late and too tired to set up or may be only staying one night, it seems senseless to drag everything out or down for only a one night stay. This is all new to me from how I use to do things with a family that is no longer around. Or how I did things before I got married. And there is a difference in on the road camping while traveling or to just go specifically to Overland and camp, where you will most likely stay for awhile.

Reactions: Shamu and dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I think for being solo the T3 would work for me as well and its a little less costly. I have plenty of room for transport and would probably carry it on the roof rack whatever I buy. I'm still trying to figure out a plan for where I will put things to start with. Questions come up in my mind like I might want to sleep in my rig if I get somewhere late and too tired to set up or may be only staying one night, it seems senseless to drag everything out or down for only a one night stay. This is all new to me from how I use to do things with a family that is no longer around. Or how I did things before I got married. And there is a difference in on the road camping while traveling or to just go specifically to Overland and camp, where you will most likely stay for awhile.
When I went to Overland Expo East this year, I used a Yakima roof box on top of my Subaru Outback. It held my T3 tent, roll-up table and all of my sleeping gear plus some. That left the back of my Outback for cooler and other things. The best part about this setup is that I can just as easily sleep in the back of the Subaru if I find I don't feel like deploying a tent.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
When I went to Overland Expo East this year, I used a Yakima roof box on top of my Subaru Outback. It held my T3 tent, roll-up table and all of my sleeping gear plus some. That left the back of my Outback for cooler and other things. The best part about this setup is that I can just as easily sleep in the back of the Subaru if I find I don't feel like deploying a tent.
That makes sense to me.

Reactions: dziner

jasonbhaller

Rank III

Advocate I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Haller
Won’t be sorry.. we love ours!!!!!

For mattress, we recently picked up an REI Camp Dreamer Double

how do you like this mattress? any time on it? we started with an aero bed, then went to the coleman all in one cot and air mattress. i like it but it is really hindering camp breakdown time. if i want to be more mobile on point to point trips i need a quicker option.

I am eyeing up the camp dreamer as it is on sale right now and much cheaper than the exped. however the 6" exped is looking appealing. Plus i dont prefer to sleep on the ground.

Jeff1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

CT
I'm debating on the T4 or T3(Gazelle says they will be bringing out the redesigned T3 end of this year). Most of my camping will be one person with a cot. Is the extra hassle of probably haveing to put the T4 on the roof rack vs carring the T3 inside the Jeep JL unlimited worth it?

jasonbhaller

Rank III

Advocate I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Haller
how do you like this mattress? any time on it? we started with an aero bed, then went to the coleman all in one cot and air mattress. i like it but it is really hindering camp breakdown time. if i want to be more mobile on point to point trips i need a quicker option.

I am eyeing up the camp dreamer as it is on sale right now and much cheaper than the exped. however the 6" exped is looking appealing. Plus i dont prefer to sleep on the ground.
In case anyone interested i went with the 4" camp dreamer to catch the sale. we used it at Adventure X Fest last weekend and i was blown away. Super comfortable. The ability to firm it up a bit like an air mattress so you don't touch the ground, but have the comfort of memory foam was awesome. i can side sleep no problem. It breaks down super fast, and is fairly light for the size. packed down size may be a bit large for jeeps or smaller vehicles, but no problem for us.

I will probably buy another single for when the kids are with us as i don't think the gazelle will fit two doubles. Super happy with our set up now. I love Gazelle tents. great option over roof top tents in my opinion. very fast set up/breakdown time. minimal weight, 1/10th the cost.

Wait for the T3
The big drawback of the T4 is the large pack length. It's way big for one person.

I will probably get a T3 for solo trips, even though I already have a T4.
It's just too long and it's heavy enough to be a hassle to put it on the roof.
I don't like putting it up there for a lot of reasons but everyone is different.

Setup and packing is super easy but it's got drawbacks.
1. door is awkward to get in and out
2. zipper doors are tight, screen and cover zips are not color coded and fumbling with the zips becomes a real hassle
3. floor is not sealed. It's velcro, which leaves some gaps in the corners. ants have come in.
4. T4 pack length is a hassle if you don't have a long bed to store it.

No tent is perfect, the T4 length is the biggest drawback for me.
For one person, tradeoff isn't worth it unless it's also a family tent.

I'm debating on the T4 or T3(Gazelle says they will be bringing out the redesigned T3 end of this year). Most of my camping will be one person with a cot. Is the extra hassle of probably haveing to put the T4 on the roof rack vs carring the T3 inside the Jeep JL unlimited worth it?

Reactions: Jeff1

jasonbhaller

Rank III

Advocate I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Haller
Wait for the T3
The big drawback of the T4 is the large pack length. It's way big for one person.

I will probably get a T3 for solo trips, even though I already have a T4.
It's just too long and it's heavy enough to be a hassle to put it on the roof.
I don't like putting it up there for a lot of reasons but everyone is different.

Setup and packing is super easy but it's got drawbacks.
1. door is awkward to get in and out
2. zipper doors are tight, screen and cover zips are not color coded and fumbling with the zips becomes a real hassle
3. floor is not sealed. It's velcro, which leaves some gaps in the corners. ants have come in.
4. T4 pack length is a hassle if you don't have a long bed to store it.

No tent is perfect, the T4 length is the biggest drawback for me.
For one person, tradeoff isn't worth it unless it's also a family tent.
I noticed an issue grabbing the wrong zipper as well. now that you mentioned it i may cut the tabs off and swap out with paracord to color code the screen.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I cant lift it up there on my rack without help which their is non to be had. Otherwise I would have bought the T4 myself. The T3 is adequate I think for one person or even two.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I love my T4 Plus. Yes it’s long, but unless it’s a backpacking tent, it’s not fitting inside my Bronco or 4Runner when the kids come with us. I use the Plus for my Coms shack when the kids aren’t with us, and as a second sleeping quarters when they do come.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I love my T4 Plus. Yes it’s long, but unless it’s a backpacking tent, it’s not fitting inside my Bronco or 4Runner when the kids come with us. I use the Plus for my Coms shack when the kids aren’t with us, and as a second sleeping quarters when they do come.
I hope the T3 holds the heat because my trip to the PNW has been pushed back beyond Oct. 15th (when it gets colder) due to scheduling of medical CT scans for cancer spread. They were supposed to do it last month but lost me along the way until I called them to find out about the test. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when according to the doctors but they dont know and it's possible I will stay clean for years.

How is the healing going for you Mike (that was my son's name too) ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I hope the T3 holds the heat because my trip to the PNW has been pushed back beyond Oct. 15th (when it gets colder) due to scheduling of medical CT scans for cancer spread. They were supposed to do it last month but lost me along the way until I called them to find out about the test. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when according to the doctors but they dont know and it's possible I will stay clean for years.

How is the healing going for you Mike (that was my son's name too) ?
Heat retention is decent, not the best I have ever had, but it does a good enough job using a Buddy Heater to take the chill off at night, and again in the morning... a decent sleeping bag is all that is really needed to stay warm all night any ways.

Im sorry to hear your trip got pushed back a bit Jim. I hope the tests come back clean for you so you can make your way out here. You’re coming out at a very bad time of year. Not only are we on fire this year. But they are Also predicting some record snow levels here in the PNW. Snow camping is fun, but trying to do a long trek through the white stuff early and late in the season is very challenging and can become hard work.

I’m healing slowly, mild pain, lots of itching and burning, my stitches are starting to jab me like little sewing needles into my gums and lower lip. I have an appointment with the surgeon next week.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Heat retention is decent, not the best I have ever had, but it does a good enough job using a Buddy Heater to take the chill off at night, and again in the morning... a decent sleeping bag is all that is really needed to stay warm all night any ways.

Im sorry to hear your trip got pushed back a bit Jim. I hope the tests come back clean for you so you can make your way out here. You’re coming out at a very bad time of year. Not only are we on fire this year. But they are Also predicting some record snow levels here in the PNW. Snow camping is fun, but trying to do a long trek through the white stuff early and late in the season is very challenging and can become hard work.

I’m healing slowly, mild pain, lots of itching and burning, my stitches are starting to jab me like little sewing needles into my gums and lower lip. I have an appointment with the surgeon next week.
Your probably right about the fires and the snow. You guys are really being hit hard on the fires.
I'm not sure now that a trip to the west coast is my best choice. I'll wait till after my CT test to form an opinion about it. The Corona virus is still an unsolved issue though I'm not afraid of it even though I should be at my age. None of my travel plans include being around large groups of people and in fact the fewer the better. Except for people like yourself, my son, my daughter and a few other OB members, I won't be mingling with others and I dont want to visit any burned out areas anywhere..Deserts dont burn so maybe I'll travel more of those roads. Deserts can be beautiful especially the low land valleys between the mountains. I still want to travel off the interstate highways and stay on all the old back roads and trails I can find. I won't be in a hurry to get anywhere especially on my return trip. I want to give my T3 Gazelle and my rig a good work out. Guess I better get my order in for a Buddy heater to take care of the colder nights of late Fall.

Sorry OP if I got a little side tracked thinking about my long planned camping trip with my T3 Gazelle shelter in hand.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Your probably right about the fires and the snow. You guys are really being hit hard on the fires.
I'm not sure now that a trip to the west coast is my best choice. I'll wait till after my CT test to form an opinion about it. The Corona virus is still an unsolved issue though I'm not afraid of it even though I should be at my age. None of my travel plans include being around large groups of people and in fact the fewer the better. Except for people like yourself, my son, my daughter and a few other OB members, I won't be mingling with others and I dont want to visit any burned out areas anywhere..Deserts dont burn so maybe I'll travel more of those roads. Deserts can be beautiful especially the low land valleys between the mountains. I still want to travel off the interstate highways and stay on all the old back roads and trails I can find. I won't be in a hurry to get anywhere especially on my return trip. I want to give my T3 Gazelle and my rig a good work out. Guess I better get my order in for a Buddy heater to take care of the colder nights of late Fall.

Sorry OP if I got a little side tracked thinking about my long planned camping trip with my T3 Gazelle shelter in hand.
It’s good to get off topic dreaming of a long anticipated expedition. I agree the deserts sound cool... you might think of coming up through Arizona, Nevada into Central Oregon and Central Washington and take I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass, if the weather conditions allow it, otherwise driving the Columbia Gorge is an amazing view on either side of the river.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

I got my T4 a few months ago. Only used it three or so nights so far. It was a bit interesting figuring out how I was going to haul it. Let's just say it is an RTT while traveling...lol.

Man, the Gazelle tent is amazing. Absolutely awesome. Since buying our 4 runner, my wife is having me look into a sleeping platform for the backend. This will be used for me (when doing a trip solo), or for the two of us on road trips.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The big T4 with the "sun room" or whatever it is, is on the future purchase list for me. If it's just me my little Kelty 3 person works fine. But when I take the family places me, wife, 2 kids, however many dogs my wife can sneak into the Jeep. You quickly run out of room.

How does everyone like these big boxy gazelle tents in high wind conditions? I've held off on larger tents for years for this reason. I've camped in some pretty hellacious wind conditions and don't want the tent collapsing in on me.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I have the T4 and could see the hub mechanism being pushed back in by a direct high wind gust. But they provide a guy line attachment point at each hub and a set of guylines which should allow you to secure it down as good as your anchoring system. If I recall the stakes they provide are the typical bent wire style that are sufficient for most applications but those in windy areas would probably want to upgrade to something better. I think 4 stakes at the bottom and then 4 stakes supporting the hubs would hold it down pretty good. Or if you were really worried you could attach 2 guy lines to each hub, spreading them out a few feet apart.

I camped right on a ridge line in the Blue Ridge Mountains last year and had a freakish night of wind happen. It sounded like a hurricane jumping the mountain range - just bizarre noises. The tent was battered quite a bit but held up. I'm not saying it will hold up in a hurricane - and it certainly wasn't a hurricane - but it was more wind than I was expecting.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I have the T4 and could see the hub mechanism being pushed back in by a direct high wind gust. But they provide a guy line attachment point at each hub and a set of guylines which should allow you to secure it down as good as your anchoring system. If I recall the stakes they provide are the typical bent wire style that are sufficient for most applications but those in windy areas would probably want to upgrade to something better. I think 4 stakes at the bottom and then 4 stakes supporting the hubs would hold it down pretty good. Or if you were really worried you could attach 2 guy lines to each hub, spreading them out a few feet apart.

I camped right on a ridge line in the Blue Ridge Mountains last year and had a freakish night of wind happen. It sounded like a hurricane jumping the mountain range - just bizarre noises. The tent was battered quite a bit but held up. I'm not saying it will hold up in a hurricane - and it certainly wasn't a hurricane - but it was more wind than I was expecting.
Awesome thanks for sharing your experience. I've got a bunch of those wide v shaped military tent states that are used for large GP tents. Should do the trick.