John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
Thinking of updating navigation/emcomm tools. Currently using a iPhone 12 Pro max and/or Samsung A8 tablet with maps offline. Wanted to add a inreach mini but then they released the Garmin Tread which has the functionality of the inreach built in. For those that have the tread is it worth the upgrade or should I spend the money on just the inreach and maybe update my tablet to a iPad mini?

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
With Garmin you are locked into their maps and all the Garmin issues...
With the tablet/phone setup you already have you can use a wide variety of mapping apps, watch movies, download pdf files and so so much more.
I would go with the Inreach mini or Zoleo ( I have been testing it against my InReach and it is cheaper and works just as well)

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
In the field of navigation, there are now so many options and I think it's hard to make a recommendation. But sharing experiences is of course always possible.

I use a combination of an older, very robust Garmin 278 and a 10 inch Android tablet with which my inReach Mini2 is also connected. I get along very well with that. The advantage that I see in the combination of tablet and the inReach is that I can use the tablet for many other things besides navigation. Of course, the OB1 app also runs on it. With a tablet, app and the maps, you already have a good "all-round solution". Operation of the inReach with it via Garmin Explore is intuitive for me and works perfectly. This does not have to be so for everyone. Best to try it out or let someone show it to you. On the other hand, the Garmin Overlander/ Tread devices are more plug n play than a tablet I think.

There is not the only right solution and it depends very much on the personal preferences (smartphone or but rather a larger tablet or but rather a very robust GPS device or even a laptop or just so an all in one device). It is best if you take a look at the different possibilities to see what comes into question for you. It is also important to deal with the device BEFORE the trip, so that the navigation works well on the road. Maybe there are OB members in your area who can show you their setups live?

Please also take a look into the subforum Overland Navigation. There you will also find many good suggestions and experiences of members on this topic.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
A huge bonus with an InReach only device is its smaller size. You can tuck it in a pocket or hook it to a belt loop when you get away from the vehicle on foot.

FYI - Never buy a product that was just released by Garmin. All Garmin devices seem to go through a couple of years of growing pain updates before they are stable. Once Garmin has ironed out issues, their products are very reliable for many, many, years. Also, never update a Garmin device before a trip. Although rare, sometimes a new update can cause problems too.

Reactions: DaPyrate

sebm

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Seb
Last Name
Mess
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUE
Your current tablet already has gps in it so I would totally get the inreach for the satellite communication aspect and have the flexibility to use any app for my maps.
Ipad could be nice if you want that but I don't think it would be necessary.
In any case, I wouldn't get the Tread, I would feel too locked-in to garmin maps.