AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Why are you looking for an external GPS for a phone?

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

Might be that his phone/tablet doesn't pick up a good signal where it's mounted and/or to save battery life. The external puck can go in the windshield where it'll get the best signal.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Might be that his phone/tablet doesn't pick up a good signal where it's mounted and/or to save battery life. The external puck can go in the windshield where it'll get the best signal.
If that is the case then you will need to find a way to turn off the internal GPS. Otherwise the apps will get confused on where to pull data from. Personally I have never had any issues with the internal
GPS on any of my phones.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I've never messed with an external GPS source with an Android, but I'm sure there's a way.

ram6

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Reyes
Last Name
Murrieta
Member #

I have used one for my android tablet. It works pretty good, and all you need is an app that allows your device to recognize external GPS (I use Bluetooth GPS by mob labs i think).

Reactions: Baby Jeep Overland

Baby Jeep Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ottawa
Member #

I think Im going with garmin glo.
There are parts of ontario and quebec that are just too far out.
My map saved me but I like the gps. Especially if I find an impassable spot; I can get back to a good starting point.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: ram6

CPO Flatrock

Rank 0

Contributor I

I am using one for my android tablets. It works pretty good, and all you need is an app that allows your device to recognize external GPS (I use Bluetooth GPS by mob labs i think).
You are correct on the app. active at that app and the blue tooth setting on the android device. You also want a good mapping program. I bought GAIA and like it more so than back country navigator. Alpine maps is pretty good as well and easily overlays gpx tracks. Try several of the mapping/gps apps(free version) and select for your self.
I am running 2 different android tablets with wifi off, no cell service contracts assosiated with either.
Garmin Glo picks up all the US satelites as well as a bazzilion Russian sats as well. 100 bucks well spent! GLO lets you connect up to 5 devices to via bluetooth.

Reactions: ram6

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

If that is the case then you will need to find a way to turn off the internal GPS. Otherwise the apps will get confused on where to pull data from. Personally I have never had any issues with the internal
GPS on any of my phones.
Location / terrain is key. Up here in the north woods of MN, there are plenty of places a cell phone will NOT get a signal of any type, let alone reliable enough to use.

Baby Jeep Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ottawa
Member #

You are correct on the app. active at that app and the blue tooth setting on the android device. You also want a good mapping program. I bought GAIA and like it more so than back country navigator. Alpine maps is pretty good as well and easily overlays gpx tracks. Try several of the mapping/gps apps(free version) and select for your self.
I am running 2 different android tablets with wifi off, no cell service contracts assosiated with either.
Garmin Glo picks up all the US satelites as well as a bazzilion Russian sats as well. 100 bucks well spent! GLO lets you connect up to 5 devices to via bluetooth.
My tracks has worked great for me

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using OB Talk mobile app

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I'm an Apple guy, but I use the Gamin GLO with my cell & tablet. It connected to both right away & I can use it with any app. I would recommend it.