Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
Has anybody used both Gaia and onXmaps and can speak to the differences? I use onXmaps to hunt and one of the features that is great is the ability to see private land boundaries and landowner name. This helps me to stay on the lumber company's land and not wander off into Farmer Joe's land. Does Gaia have something like this? What does Gaia have that onXmaps doesn't? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Gaia does have a hunter pro upgrade that has boundaries as well as what you can hunt on what land.

Reactions: RedRyder

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
Gaia does have a hunter pro upgrade that has boundaries as well as what you can hunt on what land.
I did see that but it didn't look like it marked private land and list who the owner of that land was, as in the example I gave. I could be wrong. Does anybody have a screenshot of the hunting layer in Gaia?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Here are a few screenshots. There are blog posts at that discuss some of this stuff so I would encourage you to go there for info.

I'm not a hunter so I don't have expertise in the layers.

Shows public and private land

Some of the available hunting layers below. Sorry for the basic screenshots.

Also when you zoom in on the public land layer it shows you what they are.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
Great screenshots! Thanks! I think I'll be sticking with onX Hunt for my hunting needs for the time being, since they show private land ownership info but Gaia is definitely looking like an all around great app for other outdoor activities. Thanks again for the info.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Great screenshots! Thanks! I think I'll be sticking with onX Hunt for my hunting needs for the time being, since they show private land ownership info but Gaia is definitely looking like an all around great app for other outdoor activities. Thanks again for the info.
Gaia is doing a 1 month free trial in case you want to see how it works.

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
Gaia is doing a 1 month free trial in case you want to see how it works.
Is that a one month free trial of Pro or the app itself? The app itself is $20 on the app store.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

One month of Pro

Edit: Last I checked which was a couple weeks ago. Probably have to pay for the app though. I bet you could send them a message and they would let you try the app.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@Steve FTW!!!

@RedRyder I've messaged gaia a few times about various things and they have been fast and way more than helpful. I have OnX but have not paid for the subscription yet so I can't really comment on the similarities or differences.

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the Gaia app then get the pro subscription as @Steve mentioned and compare the two. I planned to purchase Gaia eventually for other outdoor activities anyway. I'll post a follow up with some screenshots.

Reactions: Steve

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I checked out the onxmaps and compared it to known property lines and national forest boundaries on a couple of ranches that I hunt and I found it to be way off. The lines were not even close to accurate and the property names were ones we had never even heard of. There is no way I could risk trusting it for hunting. I contacted the company and they said that it happens and to send them my information so they could update it, That's why I paid for the stupid thing?!Not good enough for me! I also have the Gaia app which looks pretty neat but I haven't had the time to really check it out much. It looks like they have a lot of add on maps for it for extra money of course.

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
I checked out the onxmaps and compared it to known property lines and national forest boundaries on a couple of ranches that I hunt and I found it to be way off. The lines were not even close to accurate and the property names were ones we had never even heard of. There is no way I could risk trusting it for hunting. I contacted the company and they said that it happens and to send them my information so they could update it, That's why I paid for the stupid thing?!Not good enough for me! I also have the Gaia app which looks pretty neat but I haven't had the time to really check it out much. It looks like they have a lot of add on maps for it for extra money of course.

Interesting. The property lines were accurate up here in North Idaho. I wonder if they're using old survey data where you're located. Have you used anything else for hunting?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

My experience has been that pretty much anything public land is pretty accurate since those surveys are done regularly and are digitalized. A lot of very rural areas where private property is adjacent to private property tends to be a little less accurate as a lot of those counties and townships are not keeping up with the surveys digitally. The map apps can only use the latest version of what has been digitalized which are often very outdated.

Edit: I'm looking at that and that is a piss poor explanation. No more posting from my phone. Let me try again.
I have a friend who got into cartography (that in no way qualifies him in the field of property lines its just a statement on how we came upon this knowledge). He often finds himself close to and sometimes crossing private property lines. I went with him to the county clerk office (small town) and we asked about how we can get access to current property lines based on recent surveys. They explained that it would be tough for the county we were in because they don't make the surveys available digitally unless a request to do so comes from the state. So depending on when the last request was and for what area it was requested, the survey data this is publicly available by the state (in digital form) can be up to 30 years old. I imagine older depending on what part of the country you are in. That being said, public land is surveyed regularly and made available immediately in digital format. Therefore it is often much more reliable. Areas where private property is adjacent to private property is where some of the inconsistencies seem to be the most prevalent.

As another note, you may be surprised by the amount of landowners who think they know where their property lines are but truly don't.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign