Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I have an iPad Mini 6 (cell version) and had a Garmin InReach Explorer+ that worked totally fine for me.
I gave up, apparently I'm too stupid to get it to work. Neither Garmin nor Apple were any help and said it wasn't supported so.... I ended up with the Mini 6 cellular as well and it's nice having just one device. However, I really wanted the inReach for satellite communicator, killing two birds with one stone. I like to wander off and do random dumb things by myself, one day I'm going to die and wish I had a satellite communicator.

4X3Lander

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

California, United States
First Name
Don
Last Name
4X3Lander
Member #

I gave up, apparently I'm too stupid to get it to work. Neither Garmin nor Apple were any help and said it wasn't supported so.... I ended up with the Mini 6 cellular as well and it's nice having just one device. However, I really wanted the inReach for satellite communicator, killing two birds with one stone. I like to wander off and do random dumb things by myself, one day I'm going to die and wish I had a satellite communicator.
I wouldn't say you are too stupid at all. I work in tech and have seen many times where something works for many and the same setup doesn't work for others, but no fault of their own. I know it sounds crazy, but I feel that it is common for this to be the case.

I still have my Mini 6, but I sold my Garmin. Now that the iPhone has the emergency satellite, I don't need the Garmin. But before I get shot down, I know the iPhone emergency service is not "robust" yet, for lack of better terms. It will get there though. I like not having to carry a dedicated device that only gets used occasionally.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I have an iPad Mini 6 (cell version) and had a Garmin InReach Explorer+ that worked totally fine for me.
The iPad has built-in GPS because it was the cellular model, the inReach did/does nothing to improve GPS/mapping/nav on the iPad.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I wouldn't say you are too stupid at all. I work in tech and have seen many times where something works for many and the same setup doesn't work for others, but no fault of their own. I know it sounds crazy, but I feel that it is common for this to be the case.

I still have my Mini 6, but I sold my Garmin. Now that the iPhone has the emergency satellite, I don't need the Garmin. But before I get shot down, I know the iPhone emergency service is not "robust" yet, for lack of better terms. It will get there though. I like not having to carry a dedicated device that only gets used occasionally.
The concern is lack of redundancy and relying on one-tool-does-it-all. If that one tool breaks you're SOL. Safety and being prepared includes redundancies in the event of emergency and failure. That inReach may have only been used occasionally, but you can suspend service when it's not in use by paying like $4/mo and then you don't have to pay to re-activate it. No matter how good the satellite SOS is with the iPhone I wouldn't count on it or your phone as your primary means of emergency, off-grid communications.

You are sacrificing safety for convenience.

My $0.02 and I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Ubiety

4X3Lander

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

California, United States
First Name
Don
Last Name
4X3Lander
Member #

The concern is lack of redundancy and relying on one-tool-does-it-all. If that one tool breaks you're SOL. Safety and being prepared includes redundancies in the event of emergency and failure. That inReach may have only been used occasionally, but you can suspend service when it's not in use by paying like $4/mo and then you don't have to pay to re-activate it. No matter how good the satellite SOS is with the iPhone I wouldn't count on it or your phone as your primary means of emergency, off-grid communications.

You are sacrificing safety for convenience.

My $0.02 and I'll leave it at that.
Agreed. 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I am all about redundancy. However, in my case, the Garmin still wasn't needed. I have only made a single solo trip and although I enjoyed it, not something I will be doing again. That said, in my group, others have Garmin devices and therefore, that's my redundancy if it is really needed. Not to mention, all all my group uses an iPhone and that increases the redundancy as well. So for my situation, I'm not sacrificing safety for convenience. I'm over redundant and reduced the need for so many devices.

The monthly service aspect was of no concern. I turned it on twice - once to test and the other for my solo trip. It just won't be needed is all and I recouped my $500+ I paid for it.

Reactions: DRAX and Ubiety

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

A lot of good information here, thanks all for taking the time to respond. I ended up buying an iPad mini with cellular and returning the Garmin. I will investigate good satellite communicators and probably pick something up later this or early next year. So far, the GPS has been really great on the iPad.

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

Garmin PURPOSEFULLY disabled the ability for the inreach mini 2 to pair with iPad and deliver GPS data.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Garmin PURPOSEFULLY disabled the ability for the inreach mini 2 to pair with iPad and deliver GPS data.
Not sure I understand your comment.
Are you saying that Garmin disabled the ability to pair the mini 2 to an Ipad or the ability to deliver GPS or both.

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

Not sure I understand your comment.
Are you saying that Garmin disabled the ability to pair the mini 2 to an Ipad or the ability to deliver GPS or both.
Garmin now forces you to use their Earthmate app. You cannot use a 3rd party app and the Inreach Mini 2 will no longer send GPS data to other apps i.e. Gaia, Google Maps, etc…

Reactions: smritte